• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony claims that the Nintendo Wii is nothing more than an 'impulse buy'

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
You just confirmed exactly what I said, how am I misinformed? Sony had the best selling console this holiday season. Handhelds != Consoles.

:confused:

I'd class the DS as a console myself, but it's certainly true that the PS2 has by far been the most successful TV-based console for quite a long time now. I haven't added the exact figures, but sony and Nintendo seem to have pretty similar sales overall - I think the GBA probably gives Nintendo more in the end.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
You class a portable system that you hold in your hand as a console?:confused:

That is the whole concept behind the handheld vs. console classification. They are two seperate markets, one of which has been utterly dominated by Nintendo for what seems like decades.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
You class a portable system that you hold in your hand as a console?:confused:

That is the whole concept behind the handheld vs. console classification. They are two seperate markets, one of which has been utterly dominated by Nintendo for what seems like decades.

yeah, the ps2.. such a great console.. :rolleyes:

Its such a flimsy POS, people have to buy it again because they break so quickly.

I know like 5 people that have bought a second one, simply because they killed theirs or it died.

Now if we could factor that into the equation, I'm sure things would look much different.

As for the idiocy in management, look at the ps3. Can you say rootkit? or maybe blu-ray?

Dead batteries... pulling out of the LCD market?

Sony isn't looking too hot..

But then again, god forbid, sony be considered something other than a "console manufacturer" right? I have a hard time finding anything positive about sony at this point in time, really.

I would also consider the ds a "console" myself.. as I own a DS, and play it often. Havent touched my xbox, ps2, or gamecube for a long time, because its not able to go anywhere, and the games, suck. if I'm home, I play something decent.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
My launch PS2 is still running, thats right, the PS2 I bought on the day it launched still works just fine. The PS2 is actually a very well built system, especially the Slim PS2. It had problems, mostly with the laser in the earlier versions, but there have been over 15 versions of the console, and each one was better than the last in terms of failure and durability. Right now the PS2 has less problems than any of the other three major systems on the market today.

I see no mismanagement with the PS3. The root-kit was bad, but really only a minor problem that was quickly fixed. I don't think a mismanaged company would have been able to deal with and fix the problem as quickly as Sony did.

Blu-Ray? Mismanagement? You are going to have to back that one up. Blu-Ray is outselling HD-DVD nearly 3 to 1. So you are really going to have to back up your statement with something major to pull off that Blu-Ray shows some form of mismanagement.

Pulling out of the LCD market is mismanagement? How so? They couldn't remain competitive in the market and didn't want to devote any more time to it, so they left it. How is that mismanagement?

Of course sony is more than a console company. However, your original statement was about nothing more than thier console business and the comments about the console market.

I really don't care what you consider the DS, we have the Handheld designation and the Console designation for a reason. They are two seperate markets and are labeled as such.

Last edited by a moderator:

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
Guys, I'm tired of the arguing, and I REALLY don't like people accusing each other of trolling.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
I really don't care what you consider the DS, we have the Handheld designation and the Console designation for a reason. They are two seperate markets and are labeled as such.

I dont see why a DS can't be a console... a laptop's a computer, is it not?

My launch PS2 is still running, thats right, the PS2 I bought on the day it launched still works just fine. The PS2 is actually a very well built system, especially the Slim PS2. It had problems, mostly with the laser in the earlier versions, but there have been over 15 versions of the console, and each one was better than the last in terms of failure and durability. Right now the PS2 has less problems than any of the other three major systems on the market today.

Mine works too.

But I take care of my stuff. General consumers... i.e. 99% of the market don't. Nintendo accounts for this. Their stuff doesnt break! :roll:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I dont see why a DS can't be a console... a laptop's a computer, is it not?

You actually think that is a good comparision? The DS is a gaming System, not a Console. A laptop is a computer, a Desktop is a computer. A Desktop is not a Laptop, and a Laptop is not a Desktop, but they are both computers. The DS is not a Console, it is a Handheld.

But I take care of my stuff. General consumers... i.e. 99% of the market don't. Nintendo accounts for this. Their stuff doesnt break! :roll:

Drop it, I bet it will break, in fact I know it will. I am sure all those wrist straps BREAKING didn't really happen. Yeah, Nintendo really accounts for things not breaking...

Guys, I'm tired of the arguing, and I REALLY don't like people accusing each other of trolling.

I just loooove the double standards on this site. If a normal user was to post that nice little "idiocy in management" statement they would get a nice infraction, possibly a ban. I would probably get a nice IP ban from the entire site. However, the mods are allowed to do it unchecked.

Hell, a user is allowed to come right out and insult me, with litterally no action taken against them even when I report the post(thanks Thermopylae_480 for that nice little piece of information), yet when I throw in a vague insult at that user I get an IP ban FROM THE WHOLE DAMN SITE! Double standards are great! I have lost all respect for all moderators and admins on this site.

I am sure this post alone will probably get me a nice ban from the site because I kept arguing. Dippy still won't get anything though because he is a mod. A mod that has shown that it is perfectly acceptable to keep arguing. I get one mod saying stop arguing and another one that just keeps on arguing. I love it!

Last edited: