1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony confirms all ranks/ trophies to be reset

Discussion in 'Games' started by 1nf3rn0x, Apr 27, 2011.

1. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    After PSN had been hacked and crucial data such as credit card details, names, addresses and so on have been stolen, I've read in many threads and sites that ranks and trophies for all games will also be reset. Epic fail.

Just browsing twitter and came across this link:
    http://on.wsj.com/enTAQf

And towards the bottom in the comments came across this:

2:04 pm April 26, 2011
    SonyOfficial wrote:
    I work at Sony and all onlne gamer ranks will be reset post-restart of PSN which is expected within 1-2 weeks. This includes Call of Duty, EA Sports and other similar action and sport franchises. Trophies will also be reset.
  2. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if it'll effect PC games via EA like battlefield?
  3. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    Possibly :eek:
  4. burtram

burtram

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I couldn't care less about the psn ranks/trophies got reset; I never cared for achievements. But, this does suck for those that do care, and work hard for them.
  5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I highly doubt it would effect anything that is not under a PlayStation Network account. Battlefield uses EA accounts system and I highly doubt it was compromised so I see no reason why they would mess with it.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    I highly doubt that any credit card data has been compromised. That data is encrypted beyond belief. They have log in data for the network and might have purchased stuff for it using encrypted credit card data, but the odds of your credit card data being used to purchase stuff beyond the Playstation network are really, really remote. Virtually all credit card data is stolen via skimmers and via social engineering and just plain forgetfulness (letting your card go out of sight or forgetting it somewhere). By resetting all the usernames and passwords, the ability of someone to purchase stuff within the Playstation Network will also be eliminated. The thieves definitely have contact info for all of us, though.
  7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    That entirely depends on who attacked the network and why. I don't think Sony has much/any information on that yet.

If it were a criminal ring, the credit card credentials would be their primary target. If they determine that was the case, Sony would give Visa, Mastercard, Discovery, American Express, PayPal, etc. a list of those accounts that were compromised and they would cancel those accounts and issue new ones. Sony can't release that information though unless they are absolutely certain that were the case (or the respective companies demand it of Sony).

If it were carried out by a bunch of high schoolers as a gag, I doubt matters would get much more serious than reseting PSN account information which they are already doing.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I posted yesteday on the other thread about this, Some psn guy posted on reddit saying it was caused by a CFW for the ps3, which gave some hacker access to the psn dev network.
  9. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    If they attacked for credit card info that could actually use, then they are wasting their time. That info is all encrypted to hell and back. I work in the industry and I know the inside details on how this stuff works and I know how long it actually takes get it unencrypted if you get it. It's much easier to build a skimmer or pay your waitress friend to rip off card info. They probably did it to prove that they could and to cause Sony a lot of disruption and heartache.
  10. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    They attacked because they can, i dont think its a gag or prank, once they figured out they could use a dev hacked ps3 to access the system they had a field day, apparently dl'd the whole game catalouge, and stole all the account details, that aint no gag or prank. the guy who posted on reddit said only 3.60+ FW versions of the dev ps3 will have access to the dev network from now on. This is all speculation, but it is speculation based on previous actions and known facts.

Heres the txt the guy posted and a link to it-

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/gx6o4/im_a_moderator_over_at_psxscenecom_the_real/
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
    kuroikenshi says thanks.
  11. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Only games this really bugs me for is God of War 1 and 2, I had Platinum Trophies on both of those. Guess it's time to change my account info, I never had just to keep my old Trophies.
  12. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    You actually think this is true?
  13. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    If he did get it and he's not retarded he will sell this data, thats what they do in this game, I work in this field, and this is the place he/they will get caught.
  14. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The problem is that I don't consider forum posts to be official. Anyone can say they are from sony and confirm a rumor, or deny it... Watch:

I work at Sony, and all the online gamer ranks will not be reset post-restart of PSN which is expected within 1-2 weeks. This includes Call of Duty, EA Sports and other similar action and sports franchises. Trophies will also not be reset.

See, and I even managed to do it without grammar and spelling mistakes.:laugh:
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  15. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    except the bit where u say you work "as" sony :roll:
  16. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    does he really, how much do you get paid, your position?
  17. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Me thinks sony did this one intentionally.

Since PS3 Jailbreakers can no longer get online, they want to eliminate all illegitimately earned trophies/ranks.
  18. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Ah, good catch. I really shouldn't post right after waking up.:laugh:
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  19. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
  20. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    The rest of his post:

Seems like BS to me.
    MLG The Canadian says thanks.
  21. MLG The Canadian

MLG The Canadian New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, you're right NdMk2o1o, sounds like a troll attempt.

Their popular CoD Black Ops title? It's not even Sony's title.

I think it's safe to assume that you're right and it is in fact BS.
  22. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Awesome:banghead: I wrked my arse off for those trophies, hmmmm maybe i should just use the PS3 as my blu-ray player and now & again sum exclusive titles and screw trophies altogether:( sigh!!!!!!!:ohwell::wtf:

Wouldn't be surprised if someone from gaysoft hacked the Poor Security Network:(