1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony confirms personal PSN data compromised.

Discussion in 'Games' started by CDdude55, Apr 26, 2011.

1. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    They have kind of transcended 4chan. Anonymous is as much a "group" as Al-Qaeda is a "group". They are a small collective of people with like ideals that will (when fit) work together for what they perceive as the greater good. Despite how the idiotic media reports, they are not a collaborative of people with anything resembling central leadership that has a set meeting place.

As for their part, this doesn't have the same effect as what Anonymous would go for. They tend to be about informing and uncovering, like a more destructive Wikileaks if you will. If Anonymous were to stage an attack on Sony, it would mostly be a DDoS or stealing and releasing some important information about the company. The general idea behind most attacks from Anonymous is to hold people accountable for their actions, this attack on the other hand was deliberate fraud. The people found an exploit, and decided to use it to try and steal some money/information.

2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Its extremely easy to do and can be done completely through the credit bureaus automated phone system. The 'flag' stays active for 90days, just plan ahead since it will also impact your own legitimate attempts to obtain lines of credit.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    ...and have multiple accounts--isolate damage.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
  5. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Very funny:)

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Maelstrom

Thanks Received:
    I have yet to receive an email from sony about this =/. I bought one thing on PSN, so I know they have the right email. Odd.

7. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I received an email at 00:05 GMT+2 time at the 27th April concerning the PSN being down, and that you better have an eye on your accounts and stuff. Pretty freaking long text.

8. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
  9. MLG The Canadian

MLG The Canadian New Member

Thanks Received:
    I seriously hope something bad happens to the hackers who did this, I don't even care if it's Anon, it's frustrating. I ignored my PS3 for like 5 years and finally when I get into it it goes down for like two weeks and now this? lol

I too just got that long-ass email from Sony.

10. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    yeah just checked mine and its there, . . . . dammit i hope this dosen't get bad . . . . . . for me.

11. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I don't use PSN ever, actually. But exactly at the time when I want to activate my PC version of Portal on the PS3, its down.

You know its alright if you rebel against large enterprises, but for Gods sake whoever did this deserves to be bitchslapped. So many people are just pissed, not at Sony but at those whoever caused this mess. Probably why nobody in their right mind would confess being responsible for it.

NAVI_Z says thanks.
  12. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    I don't really want to play any games online, but I would like to download some PSX classics (Spyro 2 / 3, RE 1 / 3, Crash Bandicoot 2 / 3) and I can't because of this :(

Sadface.

13. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Now I just wait for a letter in the mail to join the massive class action suit...

14. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Americans and their suing...
    Its not clear yet if Sony really was lazy on their security measurements or not. I mean a large squadron of talented hackers and such can bring pretty much anything down.

You sue your bank too if all of Indias programmers went haxxor on the bank's IT infrastructure?

15. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    What I am surprised at is this community is surprised. Lets think about this for a second. You have a wildly popular platform and it also has a flourishing online network.

PC's are a wildly popular platform and it has a flourishing online network. PC's get hacked all the time and nothing is even centralized. No one is surprised. Its expected.

Why is it when a console system gets hacked with the same qualifications of a PC on a CENTRALIZED NETWORK everyone is surprised?! Its going to happen again and again. Get used to it.

Does it suck? Sure! I feel bad for you guys. No troll! But come on! It was going to happen. Stop crying and watch your credit! Personally I would cancel whatever card I used.

Yeah. As an American I agree. Everyone sues. Its part of the entitlement mentality thats taking over the US.

MLG The Canadian and MRCL say thanks.
  16. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I think it's really that when PC's get hacked you don't have much of a community to complain about it, computers use the internet directly, so nobody cares if a couple computers are getting hacked somewhere in the vastly larger network. With PC's hacking is almost expected to happen at some point, with gaming consoles, not so much.

If people hacked Steam, people would complain the same way because it's a community that wants to play their games and if they can't do that for weeks on end, shit gets serious and people start whining more and more.

17. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    They're just angry at the wrong guys.

18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    They have hacked steam. Numerous times. PC community expects it. Console community should too. The second you go online is the second you can expect to be hacked. I mean really. Its common sense.

What I do get a kick out of is people are mad at Sony and not the hackers. Are your Robin Hoods of the market (hackers) still your hero's to the extent you vilify the victim (Sony)? Sad. Hackers are scum. Wake up and use common sense.

(That wasn't directed at you CDdude. Just in general)

NAVI_Z and CDdude55 say thanks.
  19. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting really tired of that racist comment in regards to "Americans suing"... Can we keep this topic civil or do I need to start bashing other countries for various reasons?
    Because believe me, I can find plenty of reasons..

20. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    D007, you're American, and you think American is a race?

This is perhaps my most favorite thread ever.

The irony of your post is too good.

olithereal and TheMailMan78 say thanks.
  21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Lulz

22. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    If your from Europe your European, if your from Africa your African, if your from Canada, well then you don't know what race is apparently..lol.....
    Get it? Ethnicity. Do I need to spell it out? How many Asians you know born in America that act like they were born in China? They act "completely" different.

That's not ironic btw. I think you need to look up the definition of irony.. It's not like I'm looking for a knife and all I can find are 10,000 spoons.. Regardless the point is valid.. It's an ethnically racist comment.. So hold that nonsense down please..
    Wow a Canadian talking crap about an American.. You guys can't even drive cars..lol.. Nothing I dread more than seeing a Quebec license plate in front of me.. :roll:
    If your gonna dish it out, I may as well return the serve.. :nutkick:

PS: why you think they call it "The American race" ?

Lol posting to say nothing other than "trolling" is trolling... If that ain't the pot callin the kettle black.. :laugh:

Point is Sony had it coming. Their security was sub par and they got slapped for it.. Hopefully they'll realize people don't like watching their credit card info get stolen now and do something about it.. if no one had sued, the point wouldn't sink in.. It's like disciplining a child, if you don't do it, they never think they did anything wrong..

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  23. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Trolling?

24. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I do agree with that, people should always be aware that this stuff happens and that they aren't not always protected.

25. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    There is no American race. Its a culture. Not a race. You are why I support pro-choice.