1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony PlayStation 4 Codenamed "Orbis", Runs AMD x86-64 CPU, Southern Islands GPU

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Jurassic1024

Thanks Received:
    Google.com
  2. Jurassic1024

Thanks Received:
    I hope so.
  3. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Well, if you are going to pretend your previous comment was smart you can atleast explain it. If you can't explain it then you have no basis for discussion, thus you shouldnt be here.

The market is swaying for digital download.

The console market is moving the same direction as PC, they want everyone to download material. That way they can control copyright breaches. With more physical game stores going of business its the sensible move too and it cuts out middlemen or suppliers, thus generating more profit too.

Edit:

So if I Google "Tapes out" I'll have inside knowledge of AMD's inner workings and have more information at my fingertips than AMD's board of directors and sales & marketing division? Doesn't sound like an educated comment to me.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  4. Jurassic1024

Thanks Received:
    If i have to explain it, then we aren't even on the same level. Go educate yourself and stop being lazy.
  5. Jurassic1024

Thanks Received:
    The market is swaying for digital download.

Yea because teh PSP GO was so successful going disc free right?
    btw, digital only this early on console would be its end. Everyone would need an internet connection with sufficient bandwidth, which we already know is not where it needs to be, especially in north america.
    Throttling, another roadblock. HDD space, another roadblock. no physical media means bye bye gamestop, EB Games, etc. aka a LOT of people out of work.

Stop talking please. Everything you say is what the uneducated repeat online like its truth when it's not.
  6. Jurassic1024

Thanks Received:

If you weren't so lazy and did some research, you would find out. ;)
  7. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Because he's being either an obvious troll or sarcastic, you're just being arrogant.

See my previous remark.

Anyways, back on topic.

It's not out of the realm of possibilities that there could be a 7970 based GPU in there, I'm sure Sony contacted AMD long ago to start work on a GPU for them.
  8. Jurassic1024

Thanks Received:
    The console market is moving the same direction as PC

*sigh*

I can buy the same mainstream games on Steam @ EB Games. Try again.
  9. Jurassic1024

Thanks Received:

AMD fanboy zone. Good to know. No intelligence and single minded. Not how the world works. Join us sometime.

PS, when did i say they wouldnt use a 7970 variant? Why are you making stuff up?
  10. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Please enlighten me as to how I'm a fanboy?
  11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I would slow down guys. Bad things can happen if we keep going this route.
    JATownes says thanks.
  12. Jurassic1024

Thanks Received:
    You think the topic is about the 7970 when no one said that is the GPU they would use. It's what you HOPE they use.
  13. Jurassic1024

Thanks Received:
    Don't care, i'm not backing down from people too lazy to google and thinking AMD in some consoles makes up for a pathetic server division.
  14. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    Man, just stop arguing over the internet. No point man. Be civilized. There is no need to always explain your actions man. :shadedshu
  15. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't directing my comment at you, it was a general comment.

Jeez man take a chill pill. If you don't have a chill pill, take a chill strip. You know, put it on your tongue, it dissolves, chilled.
  16. Dent1

Thanks Received:

I said the market is swaying towards digital download. I never said it was going to be successful.

Most western countries where console sales matter have an broadband connection.

From a technological standpoint, bandwidth doesnt have to be a major bottleneck. They could implement many ways around it. i.e. user downloads just the files needed for the first few levels, the next few levels can be downloaded slowly as the user plays silently.

Also like any product roll out, it won't be immediate, they will introduce it slowly, to give their consumers a chance to adapt to the change. I can tell you've never studied business.

Gamestop is moving to digital download. Shows you have no clue what you are saying!

And to shut you up. Evidence that we are moving towards digital download in gaming :nutkick:

http://n4g.com/news/683252/gamestop-now-offers-digital-downloads-for-ps3-psp-and-xbox-360

Hard drive space is not a factor. Before the flooding in Thailand HD prices were at an all time low, prices are stabilising again. Average consumer HDD is like 500-1TB, so I don't see how HDD is a bottleneck.

Like I said a lot of physical stores are out of business in the UK "Game" and "Game Station" have gone bust. Sales in "HMV" are down too. Physical media including DVD sales and Music sales are on the decrease. Look at stats before you speak nonsense.

As for people getting laid off work, why would Sony or Microsoft care about unemployment figures. They are in the technology and gaming business not welfare and humanity business.

Says the person that didn't know Gamestop was moving to digital download too.
  17. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    I can haz computer?
    I don't like this, crappy old hardware, they really should go for high end hardware,
    Now they will this be slower than pc's offcourse consoles are better coded and optimized but i want to see a something that can really compete against pc's
    Sorry for crappy english xd
  18. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Wonder if I will be sync the new one with the PS3. I rather like using mine as a media server.
  19. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    No, no, no, no....I think Jurassic should keep double posting, being arrogant, and very rude to others here. It gives a mod a reason to make something happen to which all of us frankly would like to see happen.

Anyway, on topic. I really don't see the price of a 7970 or 7950 going down too much in order for them to start manufacturing PS4's in time to get out by Christmas 2013, it's just not possible. The 7k series looks to repeat the history of the 5k series where the price didn't come down for at least a year after it debuted. The market yearns for GPU competition. Like others have indicated earlier in the thread, the GPU that will most likely be used will probably be something along the lines of a 7850/7770/7750. The CPU, that has yet to be decided. I don't have any input on that end.
  20. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just keep your posts civil without throwing names at one another. Also use the edit button instead of double posting. Read the forum guidelines for any further information: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/announcement.php?f=14

Everyone stay on topic.

Thank you.
    Lionheart and JATownes say thanks.
  21. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I don't really care about all the drama...all I will say is to please stop double/triple posting please. It is against forum policy and there is an edit button for a reason. Also, disregarding the advice of a well-loved mod (TheMailman), or any mod for that matter, is a good way to find yourself under the ban-hammer. Let's keep it civil.

On topic: This can only be good for AMD. I think this could really boost R&D and maybe get AMD back to a competitive stance, which is good for all of us consumers.

EDIT: DAMNIT!!! Double Ninja Posts got me!
  22. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    ps4 running windows coming soon
  23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    lol I'm no mod. Just giving some friendly advice. Anyway my best guess is a 7770 or an equivalent. Hell maybe a 6770.
  24. bat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Kind of curious if eyefinity would be supported considering the resolution its said to support.
  25. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Doubt it. Last gen console was a NV "7800" series GPU. Why would sony of all companies cheap out? I am betting a full fledged chip with the core clock dropped to save power.