1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony PlayStation 4 "Orbis" Kits Shipping to Developers, Powered by AMD A10 APU

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Nov 2, 2012.

1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    No it doesn't. maybe in our desktops, but developers with consoles are able to optimize it so well, and squeeze every bit of power out of the system to be able to do it.

2. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    It still requires 4x the power to run 1080p60 vs 720p30...

3. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    I don't think he understands such a simple point... he and mailman are making the point more complex by drawing inherent implications for a hardware comparison and so then they get confused and say it's wrong.

But the issue of 1080p60 vs 720p30 is a very simple one of basic math and nothing more.

4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You said you didn't think the APU could do what Sony claims and went of quoting various websites about dedicated GPU's. What I said is how things are done today is VASTLY different then 7+ years ago and that an APU can in fact meet Sony's claim as its well beyond your "4x" number due to optimization and engineering.

5. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    OK Ok...
    I think we should all get the effin point by now...
    Apples to Apples it requires 4x the power to do 60fps @1080p than 30fps @720p
    But it doesn't "Actually" take 4x the power because of architectural advancements and software development...

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  6. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also @ Mailman

When you compare an HD6000/7000 or GTX600 to RSX/Xenos or they desktop counterparts and say they are Xx faster, 7 years of iptimizations are there too. The GPU in Trinity is X amount faster optimizations included, not excluded.

But ultimmately I have no doubt the PS4 will use dedicated GPU, so it's a moot point.

Software has advanced for PS3 too tho. And "power" is intangible, but as a concept it will always actually require 4x the power. Now if we go by number of shader processors + clock frequency for example, yes less are probably required for the same as efficiency went up in these years, but like I said that's part of new generations being more "powerful".

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  7. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    I think you just got upset that I picked on the wording of one of your posts :laugh:

And my speculation that they can't do what they claim on an APU is just as good as yours that it is. You have conjecture about how well they might be able to optimize things in a console-specific way, and I have PC benchmarks showing it's crazy. Who's right? We'll find out in a couple years.

Console manufacturers aren't exactly known for their forthrightness about what their consoles can do (see: claims about 1080p this generation and claims about PS4 being able to do "4k" next generation...) so it's not exactly crazy to think that they're making deceptive claims here too...

8. 1d10t

1d10t

Thanks Received:
    Owh...i get it.Yes,Sony did it since 3.70 firmware.they aware of some sort security flaws and mambo-jambo things that could exploit it's vulnerability.they change their EULA so that only Sony could read and banning inactive / shared PSN account.just think Sony as new Apple,but more girls in it :p

9. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    technically yes.

10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    No its more I was comparing the RSX to the APU they are using. :laugh: He didn't/doesn't think the APU could do 60FPS in a console environment.

Wish you were here about 3 pages ago :laugh:

Um no. I already said those benchmarks do not reflect what Sony is doing.....also some of those benches are BS in unto themselves.

11. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    Someone finally gets it!!!!!!! :toast:

Didn't think such a simple and introduced-up-front-as-picky point would be so controversial...

12. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    You're talking about different things man. I too think the APU can not even dream of approaching an stable minimum of 60 fps. Not even close.

BigMack70 says thanks.
  13. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    And you have benchmarks that DO reflect what Sony is doing?

Nope.

You have speculation that they're going to be able to optimize something so well that it can do leaps and bounds better than it would do on a PC - to the extent that it may even surpass the highest end video cards currently available by a decent margin!

Like I said, neither speculation is inherently any better than the other. We won't know for a couple years which is correct.

14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    So you don't think an APU is more powerful then a 7+ year old GPU? Because that's what you are saying.

lol Games for the PC are ports man. NOTHING is optimized.

15. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, it's not much more powerful (once we factor in the higher resolution), but let's not start arguing about that. Anyway 7+ year GPU does NOT do 30 fps minimum. Current consoles often get lows of 15-20 fps.

16. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    That's a deceptively oversimplified question that leaves out too many variables e.g. that games are poised to become far more demanding than they are on the current console generation (see: Unreal Engine 4 etc) and that in addition to having more demanding games we're talking about making the jump from 720p30 to 1080p60.

Nobody in here is saying that an APU isn't more powerful than a 7 year old GPU. I and some others are saying that there's no way that it's so much more powerful that it will be able to make both those jumps - to substantially more demanding games and to a resolution/framerate 4x as demanding - at the same time.

17. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not to mention that many games don't even run at 720p. If I remember correctly GTA IV ran under 720p on the PS3 and was upscaled.

Either way this console is interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing how they squeeze performance out of an APU and a discreet card.

Most likely the GPU portion of the APU is about the same.

18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Games are not gonna be that much more demanding. Sony and MS both have confirmed that they don't expect a massive graphical jump this generation. Expect more of the same, just smoother.

Depends on the APU.

19. 1d10t

1d10t

Thanks Received:
    Exactly,that's the point!
    For any "casual gamer" point of view,do they need REAL 1080p?Do they have sufficient knowledge about this?
    You can muster everything regarding this scaled things,but to casual gamer they already satisfied found their TV shows 1080p/60Hz info

20. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    Again, speculation. I'd say that Unreal Engine 4 poses problems for this position.

21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Its not speculation. Sony and MS have already confirmed it.

22. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    If that's true, they are gonna fail hard imo. If 720p vs 1080p is the only thing they expect to change, who's really going to spend the cash on a new console? Fanboys, no one else. Most people already waited 2-3 years until they bought PS3/XB360 and the difference with the previous ones was massive...

23. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ya think?

24. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    What's your point? You got on here and posted some comparison screenshots that I pointed out were irrelevant. Then you posted a screenshot of your PS3 to supposedly argue against my point that your downsized screenshots were irrelevant.

Who here is talking about casual gamers and what they care about?

The topic of conversation is "Can the PS4 render at 1080p60"... not "Do casual console kiddies care if their games are rendered at 1080p or rendered at 720p and upscaled?"

25. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    So we can confirm that Sony and MS have speculated that they don't expect a massive graphical leap this generation... See where I'm going with this?

If there's anything to their speculation, it's that they know that they're going to be putting out crap hardware specs that can't handle a graphical leap.