1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Scraps 2.40 Playstation 3 Firmware Update

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jul 3, 2008.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Altough I've never updated a PS3 firmware, isn't it somewhat general that the update application does a checksum verification (integrity check) of the fresh firmware binaries before it performs the update?
  2. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    I had a firmware problem in the past and since then they recommened I always restore defaults after a firmware update. No problems since then. Maybe I'm just lucky.
  3. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    From what I know its just like any other firmware update.

1. From the XMB™ home menu, select Settings icon (Settings) > System Update icon (System Update) , and then press the X button icon button.

2. Select [Update via Internet], and then press the X button icon button.
    The system automatically searches for and finds the latest version of the update data.

3. Download the update data.
    If a new version of the system software is found, an update is necessary. Press the X button icon button to start downloading the update data. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform the update.

4. Confirm that the update was successful.
    After the update has been completed, go to Settings icon (Settings) > System Settings icon (System Settings) > [System Information]. If the [System Software] field displays the version number of the update, the update was successful.

There is a website that states that if you did get that problem, then you should go and update your firmware via the computer. You don't have to do that Clean restall of your PS3... Just download the Firmware from Playstation.com and then burn the cd with what they say to do... IT beats the $150 repair fee that they are charging on THEIR goof!
  4. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    If sony are replacing bricked units with new ones,do it,if it bricks you get a nice new one to replace your year old shagged unit.
  5. Joshmcmillan

Joshmcmillan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wonder how long until they re-release it. It will probably be FW 2.41 or something.
  6. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Mine is irreplaceable. It's one of the ones that still has the Emotion Engine in it. I don't want a newer one.