1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony to get nailed for removing OtherOS feature from PS3?

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by qubit, Feb 22, 2011.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I sure hope they get nailed for this dirty trick.

The Inquirer
    Jack Doph, Blaiyan and streetfighter 2 say thanks.
  2. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    Man I hope they get nailed for it.

"Oh? One man published a way to get an insignificant elevated privilege via a current feature? This elevated privilege has no impact on anything at all, whatsoever? Well let's not patch it, or release a hardware revision making it impossible, let's remove a feature that hundreds or thousands are using completely within their rights."

I don't care if the percentage of users of OtherOs was 100% or 0.01% of all ps3 owners. Dick move Sony. Dick move.

PSFreedom uses a usb trick to boot into service mode from USB? what next, patch out support for anything but charging controllers from USB?
  3. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's the tl;dr from Groklaw.

Sony is being charged with violating § 1030(a)(5)(A)(i):
    Pursuant to subsection (B) that damage must also result in:
    The court's ruling states:
    Sony then made a motion to strike because they did not believe plaintiff defined an appropriate class (AKA the group of people negatively effected by 3.21 firmware). The motion will not be granted.

I did a quick google search and the statue of limitations is either 2 or 5 years for the section of the CFAA in question.
    random and qubit say thanks.
  4. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    i sat there for five minutes figuring out what otheros was... other-os.. they should get smacked for making up words
  5. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    They deserve it, I'd be pissed if I bought something and one of it's features was removed. It's like if I updated my iPod and they removed the ability to update apps over the air or something.
    Blaiyan says thanks.
  6. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
  7. twilyth Guest

Even if it turns out that removing a feature from PS3 WAS in fact covered by the license agreement, I think there are still limits on what sorts of provisions can be enforced.

IIRC, you can put pretty much whatever you want in a contract's "boilerplate" language (what most would call the fine print). However what provisions are enforceable is another matter - especially when you have a so-called agreement that is for all intents and purposes one-sided. It's one thing to enforce a provision in a negotiated contract and quite another to enforce one in a consumer contract that is really a take it or leave offer. I know that in NJ this makes a difference (on due process grounds IIRC) but not so sure about the feds.
  8. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Did they fire their public relations team? They just keep fucking up left and right. I mean the idiocy alone of them going after everyone who even saw a post about the keys... it's just insanity.
  9. Undead46

Undead46 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand why Sony can't remove functions/features they provided that weren't apart of the feature list as advertised.

And I bet the only reason they're facing these allegations was because they targeted a single "hacker" trying to prove a point...
    They purchased your product, why the hell do you care what they do to gain "advantages"?
  10. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    I always found the ps3 interesting as its the only consumer product i have ever seen steadily lose features through revisions and updates. Its also amusing to note that legions of fans defend sonys actions every step of the way as their console regresses to an empty shell of what it used to be.
    xbonez, Lionheart, Blaiyan and 4 others say thanks.
  11. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Great post, love it. :D I especially like the bit about the fans. Sounds just like Apple fans and their reality distortion field, doesn't it?
  12. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I was actually considering a PS3..... This makes me not sho shure....
  13. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Judge guts suit against Sony for killing Linux in PS3

This is bad news for the little guy, once again. Expect to see more underhand dirty tricks now from tech companies. :nutkick:

Read the rest at The Register
  14. alexsubri

alexsubri New Member

Thanks Received:
    some dude got $100 out of it though
  15. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Yay, that'll pay for 1/3 of his console.
    Blaiyan says thanks.
  16. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i admit im a bit of a ps3 fanboy but i will be the first to say that removing OtherOS was pathetic and i will not buy another sony product. that being said, it is an incredible blu-ray player, native trueHD and DTS-MAHD, so you don't need a $1000 receiver to get the best sound so long as you are using HDMI. also, the addition of netflix is a huge positive. the streaming hd 5.1 shows/movies are incredible. so i dont have a list in front of me but i can say for sure sony has added more features to the ps3 than they have removed. after all, the only functionality they removed is OtherOS.
  17. qubit

Thanks Received:
    There's that old saying that it takes a long time to build up a reputation, but only an instant to destroy it. Your boycott of Sony is a fine illustration of the balls-up they made. And they deserve it.

To be honest, I've found it very easy to boycott them, because I've never found their products all that compelling anyway, especially compared to Panasonic.
  18. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    yea, i am a loyal customer and a bit of a fan of their corporate strategy, but taking away otherOS was pathetic. even if i understand why they did it and i agree that legally and ethically they are correct in doing so i will still not buy their branded products again.
  19. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    So does this mean you can't fold on the PS3 anymore?
  20. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    they wouldnt be in the sh~t storm their now in with hackers if they had of left it in,considering what a samll minority used it,was it really worth the effort
    and it was fully not right imagine the uproar if microsoft or apple decided the "W" key was superflouse to common use lol yet it is the same

ps yes is still fold with my ps3
  21. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    as far as i know i can still fold although i have not in a long time since it uses a lot of energy and does not fold all that well.
    CrackerJack says thanks.
  22. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    i thought it quite good at 100watts tho ppd isnt gr8 but for the power?, i am fairly new to folding tho so if theirs a reason you think this ,why so?
  23. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i never used OtherOS so no big deal for me kinda sucks that they took it off for some people for me its whatever my HTPC is less than 2ft away
  24. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    This is making people not want to buy anymore sony products? This? Did everyone forget the whole let's install a rootkit on ever customers pc! Then get sued by every state, but it's ok cause we'll just re-purpose the tech into an utterly ineffective DRM that we can charges loads to license. And we won't even bother to standardize it, so the 20 different rootkits heavy gamers end up installing can all fight over control of your dvd drive. Genius I tell you!
    Blaiyan says thanks.
  25. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah, that made me boycott them, I promise you! What a nasty, pathetic thing to do.
    Blaiyan says thanks.