1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony to get nailed for removing OtherOS feature from PS3?

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by qubit, Feb 22, 2011.

1. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    flawed logic... the older ps3 (parents) don't provide for the newer PS3 (kids)

Would you call Lian-Li thiefs because the K63 model is less superior than the K62 model?

2. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Well its more like the kids are the ps3, parents are sony and the kids allowance are the PS3 Features.

The parents took away the kids allowance.
    Which is what has happened its just that, that example fails to include us in it.

3. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    still flawed logic....

in the kids example, he actually loses something, while someone with a PS3 will not. The allowance thing works for OtherOS though

4. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i know, which is why i said i was no longer buying sony products. that is the only legit reason to have beef with sony over the ps3 at this time.

i just dont see how any consumer can have a problem with a manufacturer who sells a product as advertised...

i said he was complaining about something "he cannot change." i didnt say he is complaining about something he can change. context clues and all...

5. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    yeh you may be right mine was bought 2nd hand and is a 40 with those bits gone

and i would have liked a choice of new ones, not just their latest cheepest with some more bits missing (was my orig point), consoles shouldnt change so much as not everyone is tech savy i bet most dont know whats on theirs or not till they need it.

and for me thats not fair,what a company like sony sells you as a lifestyle choice(consoloeing is an individual and fashion choice) should essentially stay the same within that generation, im sick of hearing rumours the new slim is faster/better, i didnt buy one when they came out because i got a ps2 for 300 odd uk pounds 1st day, few years later there was a new 1 for 10p that looked like it was worth 10p but played better not something i appreciated or thought fair.

More than 25k PPD
  6. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    if they aren't techsavvy, SACD and linux are gibberish for them, they would never use more than 2 USB ports, and some won't even know there was backwards compatibility to begin with!

The Slim = bigger HDD, cooler PS3 (no Yellow light of death), faster load times, smaller size.

Also, PS2s even today aren't 10pounds, they sell alot still

7. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    exactly what i hate about sony, if i buy 1st day its out at max price i dont want no jonny come lately getting a faster bit of kit for half the price i feel jipped

and i said 10p pence not pound hence and either way clearly sarcasm, wow way over your head eh 10p :roll:

More than 25k PPD
  8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    OMG if ya want 4 USB ports get a powered USB unit..

I did not notice SONY ever saying it was a feature to be able to run another OS on there system so they done now wrong. And if your so upset about buying a PS3 fully knowing that running another OS was most unlikely possible is your own fault.

Would be nice if SONY did support other OS's but it's their option and so is buying one.

To be honest i cannot see why people bitch about it so much there is nothing wrong with what it comes with.

If there is some thing to bitch about the PS3 it's the frigging PS3 remote when playing Blu Ray \ DVD's.

9. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    You quoted me and said "you". So I assumed you were responding to my comments.

What? Yes? You gonna tell me there's not tooth fairy next? It would have to be a new model, obviously. The second part I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me.

10. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Poetic justice?

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/03/01/playstation_ban_europe/

xbonez says thanks.
  11. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    Good. It was a bad move to remove OtherOS.

12. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:
    lol lost features lost usb lost other os lost ....

so what? sony sell a product and if is as advertised nobody can claim as buyer must read what is buying and when bought he agreed with the terms of sony;did sony forced someone to buy a console? no ;so what's the point of this huge frustration?

even if with firmware update they removed a free capability the product is still as advertised if is functioning for the bought tasks

13. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    What I'm saying is that they took out the USBs and the other features to save $$. If you wanted those features, they would have to come out with something similar to the 60GB fat PS3, which was priced at 699$ and sony was losing $$ off of it. Even if it is 500$ now or wtv, noone would buy it and sony would lose $$

AFAIK Fat PS3s were sold advertising OtherOS, but people didn't really have a choice and didn't have OtherOS, sold not as advertised

14. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    What???? :confused:

15. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    This thread reminds me of this

[​IMG]

AphexDreamer says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    The Euros just want free PS3's to play with.

17. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    i think your missing the point sony were forever making whatever they make cheaper but they dont take the bluetooth off sureshots or the cameras out of walkman phones or the remotes off bravias cos they cant/couldnt without effin uproar yet they do this against supposed pirates but actually there own most loyal customers its about percentages yeh but for them about percentage complaints/disaprovers v money

More than 25k PPD
  18. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I bought my PS3 for Linux. It is not functioning.

I want to make MY ps3 function with Linux, but Sony doesn't like me doing that either.

Bo$$ says thanks.
  19. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    sorry but I didn't get what you just said there :eek: granted I slept maybe 4 hours the past 8 days but ... ya