1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Wins Again, Re-Secures PS3

Discussion in 'Games' started by Easy Rhino, Mar 11, 2011.

1. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    This! Sony may have won the battle. But the war will continue!

2. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
  3. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    the 1st time it took many years for them to lose :laugh:

4. Edito

Edito

Thanks Received:
    Is the linux on PS3 way better than PC version??? i don't get it...

5. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    I doubt it. It just comes down to principals. The PS3 was sold with the OtherOS feature, so they shouldn't have the rights to remove it.

6. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I wonder how long until it gets cracked again...

7. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully it takes a while to crack. It took some time for them to get past the mtldr....years. Now with that completely removed from some sources, and an alternative security protocol in place... Who knows, hopefully it's years again.

8. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    Party pooper!!! :D

Seriously, I hear hacking has destroyed PSN. So maybe it's a good thing that they have bunged this hold up.

9. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm yeah, three cheers for big brother and DRM corporate consumer control. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  10. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    haha, trust me I do my fair share of bypassing DRM- but when it comes to playing online, if your going to kick my ass, at least do it without cheats or hacked console.

And I am definitely all for Homebrew, TBH I wish more consoles and companies supported Homebrew without the fears of having security exploited and compromised.

I do understand some people do it for a challenge, but if they want a challenge, they should try to crack Google Chrome, and get paid rather than get sued like Mr.Hotz there.

11. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I see where you're coming from, Mike and I'm glad you've done your bit of jailbreaking too. I'm all for locking out online cheaters.

Unfortunately, it has the side effect of removing a feature it was sold with and advertised with and which has legitimate uses (Linux & homebrew) which is wrong.

I'm glad there are people like GeoHotz around with the skills to get past the DRM. If it wasn't for them, we'd all be stuck in a DRM prison with no way to get out and Big Business would be screwing us ever more with locked down products. One fine example is iTunes, which now has DRM-free music thanks to the activities of hackers breaking their DRM every time.

"Piracy" hasn't killed that market, proving you don't need to screw over your customers to make money. Big Media of course will never admit this and continues on with its relentless victimization of people. :rolleyes:

Here's an excellent website that covers this stuff in detail: www.techdirt.com

12. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    I agree with your sentiments. This will be hacked again, it's just a matter of time, thereby proving that anything over and above the most basic security measures are pointless and only really serve to inconvenience paying customers.

qubit says thanks.
  13. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    2nd time was a few days

14. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:

I agree with that. Thanks for the link, never have seen that site before. :toast:

Sony should of never removed the OtherOS - but since it was due to a major security flaw I can see their reasons for doing it. There's probably much more behind that security flaw than we are also led to believe. I am much happier with the Sony PSN than I was with MS Live community, MS is hacked beyond all sort's of repair, there is an article out there I think on Microsoft Points being stolen or heisted out, costing MS over $1 million in losses. Don't see this on the Sony side to often.

qubit says thanks.
  15. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Thanks people. :) Just wanna add that I did a little bit of jailbreaking myself recently.

I moved away from BT as my ISP, because of truly incompetent, terrible service. I had their BT HomeHub 2.0A which is a decent router, but is locked to BT. So I scoured the net (ie googled furiously) and found a site that's set up explicitly to jailbreak BT equipment. Carefully following their instructions (which required two USB sticks no less!) I was able to free my little router from it's DRM prison. It's now working happily and reliably with my new provider.

And as I got the router for "free" as part of BT's service, was I morally wrong in doing it? I think not. BT don't want it back, so it had become just another paperweight or landfill material. Doing this has actually promoted recycling and conservation of earth's resources. ;)