1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sorry but I have to...

Discussion in 'Games' started by johnspack, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Why are you people still supporting this garbage? I have not seen one single game in over 5 years that is worth buying. Just unbelievable. I'll run my ROF from 2009 for years, and spend buckets on it, because its worth it. I've looked at almost every game from 2005, and except for a few which I won't bother naming because you already know what they are... these games are just crap. Please don't support this junk. Join the boycott, don't support garbage!
  2. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    its okay.... half life 3 ... is.... coming... slowly...

also... what about torchlight?
  3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I generally agree with you, but why do you feel like you do? And are you talking about gaming in general or a certian kind or ..? Your post is vague.

Also, what's ROF?
  4. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Rise of Flight, and yes it's pretty specialty... you have to like dog fighting in a WW1 canvas and wood crate to appreciate it... and it's just I haven't seen a game in years that I give a crap about. Nothing I'd want to spend up to 100 bucks up here in Canada for. I mean, really nothing at all! And I remember Wing Commander II! Frig. Yes, ROF is my best gaming money spent, and I'm into it for $200 so far, but I'm a bit looney about WW1, so I don't mind....
    http://riseofflight.com/en/about/features
    And yes, I've gone through like 50 current games, they all leave me wanting more, or confused... when I fly this, I always know where I'm going.... RAF25 CamelJock
  5. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Heh, even I'm a whiner and I can say name a few games released after 2007 that are quite good. :)

Portal 1/2, Deus Ex HR (not as good as the first but you can't expect that really), Europa Universalis III, Braid, Fallout New Vegas, Risen, Starcraft 2..

But yeah if you're into flight stuff you don't have much to pick from. In fact you've never had much to pick from.
  6. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    QFT~ I often find myself completely fed up with the abundance of games which can't live up to a standard. Recently I was fortunate enough to find a Kickstarter for Grim Dawn. I really like that old devs who made great titles aren't fans of the big gaming publishers, and have the know-how to get it done for themselves and the players.
  7. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Depends on your preference, but for me, BioShock was one of the most breathtaking series of the last decade. The length, story, attention to details, environment, gameplay, RPG elements, world interaction etc etc. Then the Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. It's sort of Thief in the future and the story and gameplay itself even though short was very engaging and i loved the whole thing when i finished it. STALKER as well. I just can't forget the Zone atmosphere, its inhabitants, the wast number of objects and "things" to deal with etc. Fallout 3 and entire The Elder Scrolls series. Yes, i am a first person RPG freak but mostly because these games almost always have very good story and offer the greatest interaction with the world, making them feel even more real and believable than games where you look your character in the back or over the shoulder and you just shoot things. With only exception of Tomb Raider series where 3rd person makes all the sense for obvious reasons (Lara's khm attributes) and Dead Space, mostly because it sort of brought the darker version of System Shock 2 to life again (derelict spaceship, freakish monsters, high level of interactions, engaging story).

There were some pretty damn good games released in the near past, it just depends on what YOU prefer.
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  8. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    What garbage are you talking about? This thread? Please explain how you plan on turning this into something constructive or consider it closed.
  9. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    .....and yet your pc specs say otherwise? Pointless thread.
    Skyrim, BF3, Bioshock, Bad Company 2, The Mass Effect Series,Stalker, Fallout 3, Crysis,Left 4 Dead 1 & 2,Metro and so on and on and on. Plenty of quality to be getting on with.
    Black Panther says thanks.
  10. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Definitely.
    Just because games for the past 7 years weren't to your tastes doesn't mean they're all garbage. I myself consider the past years as giving us some of the best games ever.

For example, Portal 2, Diablo 3, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, Alan Wake, Dead Island, Dirt 2, Dirt 3, Fear 3 and much more.
  11. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    How could I forget the Portals (Immense games) and Alan Wake had me hooked twice both on the 360 and with the nicely ported PC version (great Stephen King esque storyline which drives it)
  12. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    BP has a point! The games she listed were very good (Two on the list I have never plated though).

Also worth mentioning that you have not played battlefield 3 as well. It brought a MUCH needed change to the FPS market.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    :)What you talking about bro, the COD series is GREAT:D:p :roll:

Trolloolololol
    [​IMG]
  14. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Okay, original Bioshock was almost okay.. almost. But really, what game in the last 10 years has made you say WOW! None for me. Just one game, and then a sequel and another one... wow. Most games are still mostly dx9, what the heck is the point in a dx11 card? Really? I remember Wing Commander II, how many years ago was that? I barely remember any game I've tried in the last 10 years. Hell, lsl was more fun! These new games are all just a repeat of every other game, I get bored within 10 minutes... BF3, bah, crock, seen it a dozen times before, why are you playing the same games over and over? Sorry, pretty graphics aside... really boring games.
  15. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, COD4, then repeat, then repeat, then repeat..... just with different guns ect.....
  16. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    All true, but, so much fun, I love seeing people scramble to flame their favorite topic....
  17. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    I am not saying that you are wrong, certainly not entirely wrong , but your criticisms could be applied to most entertainment products, including films: such is the way of the world. Neverthless, occassionally, a studio is able to offer something truly unique or produce a game that, although seemingly generic and produced according to a formula, provides a different and worthwhile experience. In short, whilst there is truth in what you say, the situation is not as bleak as you paint it.
    lilhasselhoffer says thanks.
  18. caleb

Thanks Received:
    All games are fkn boring. Single player was fun when I was 16 years old. Of course there is no fun fun in games when you play them alone, get some friends or Internet buddies hooked up on TS and create some fun.
  19. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Also please use the edit button. The mods do not like triple posting.

I think the game creators are more and more about the money but some are still trying to please customers.
    Lionheart says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The only game I ever played online was Dirt 2 :eek:
  21. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Dude. Angry Birds is relatively new, and an epic gaming experience.
  22. Frick

Thanks Received:
    When you go hardcore there are huge differences between CoD and BF. I only play betas of those games and even I can tell the difference. If you can't those games are not for you obviously.

And Mr McC makes an excellent point: All stories are escentially the same. I agree that the gaming industry has gone downhill, but that is to be expected because there are more money involved and they want as many people as possible to buy the games which often means a certain kind of games is left behind. Like you and me, but on the other hand millions more enjoy them more nowadays and that is worth more to the devs AND their publishers.

But then the industry is young and with the big successes of Kickstarter new winds are blowing, for good and bad. Nothing is set in stone.
  23. caleb

Thanks Received:
    Yeah sure there are those titles you have to go through alone but nothing can beat the fun out of putting a C4 on a nose of a jet and let your bud pull the trigger ^^
  24. Frick

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't enjoy that very much. :p

Case in point: The Longest Journey. :D
  25. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    That's why I like ROF, there is nothing like the skill of flying your canvas and wood plane at over 100mph shooting your old vickers machine guns at your enemy in a slow motion ballet... for god sakes someone check it out... I'd love to fly with you: http://riseofflight.com/en/about/features
    this is a sim that takes guts and a lot of skill to master....