1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sound card discussion

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PP Mguire, Dec 17, 2009.

1. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so on another forum i used to troll before TPU there is always this....we will say guy to be nice...who likes to argue with people and try and seem inferior. This isnt what bothers me. What DOES bother me is when he is typically wrong.

Anywho the argument is this. He is trying to say that while using a digital receiver while playing games or anything else its just a digital pass through and the sound card is doing absolutely nothing. Now, being the enthusiasts that most TPU goers are, im sure none of you would pay upwards of 100 bucks if a sound card is just sitting in a slot doing absolutely nothing but be a $100 convertion jack to plug your mini-jack/optical/spdif cable in to. Also, hes saying that the sound card dosent shape the sound at all.

I KNOW there are some true audiophiles like me who are on here. Most of you dont really say much either. (Besides a few, cough) Shaping is EQing, compression, ect. Isnt using a sound cards EQ or an XFis Crystalizer shaping sound? Surely the term hasent changed in the years ive been doing pro sound with my dad.

Amirite?

2. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    I'm not exactly an audio expert but i do know that the sound card does do SOMETHING. If you change the EQ or X-Fi settings on the card and you hear a difference through your digital receiver then the card must be doing something

PP Mguire says thanks.
    More than 25k PPD
  3. 2wicked

2wicked

Thanks Received:
    All these big technical words like "Pass through", "Digital decoder receiver"
    and "Software EQ" confuse me!:confused:

4. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haha nobody wants to help me and my argument :shadedshu :laugh:

5. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    Just last night, i read something on a different forum about not getting surround through the HDMI cable, i think i still have the tab open, i'll edit this when i find it, but you are right.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=152311

from what i've seen around, you have to inject the surround *into* the HDMI from a passthrough soundcard, like a auzen true hd, or whatever it is. that is definitely doing more than just sittin' pretty (and expensive).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
    PP Mguire says thanks.
  6. AsphyxiA

AsphyxiA New Member

Thanks Received:
    the guy you are arguing with is wrong. Look at some of these cards that have different opamps that you can replace with other. A sound card definitely shapes the tone of the sound coming through. At least through analog sound that is. anyways as far as digital sound goes, the card has something to do with how the sound is shaped.

PP Mguire says thanks.
  7. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Information i know, i just needed the support backing me :)