1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sound card placement?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Tardan, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Tardan

Thanks Received:
    So I think I'm going to throw down some cash for a ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card. One thing worries me though, I'm looking at my motherboard and GPUs and it's definitely going to be a tight squeeze with two 670s.

I'm not entirely sure where the sound card should be placed, above or below? I'm worried if I place it above them it might get too hot and if I place it below it will practically be kissing the second card therefore blocking its intake fans.

Is it even a good idea to buy a sound card with an SLI configuration?

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    if not overclocking, you should have no issues plugging it where ever you like.

Other than heat concerns, no, there's no reason to NOT use one...if that's what you are after for sound.
    Tardan says thanks.
  3. Tardan

Thanks Received:
    I am definitely overclocking right now. Far Cry 3 demands it! :laugh:

Yeah the speakers on my TV sound crappy so I figured I'd try this out. :)
  4. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    If the speaker are not good the cards not going to help

Idea: Will a pci sound card help the placement? You could get a Xonar GD for considerably less money

Or the ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 that is a short card
    Tardan says thanks.
  5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    the sound card wont get too hot so just put it above, its safter than the cards making contact with one another plus you dont want to block fans.
    Tardan says thanks.
  6. Tardan

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry. I forgot to mention the fact that I have a headset ready to go. I have a bunch of PCI-E slots on this motherboard, so I'm not sure a PCI card would help too much. Thank you for the suggestions though!

Alright! I think putting it on top might be the better option as well. Thank you for the confirmation!
  7. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    I hope it's a very good headset, it would be a shame to waste such a card with some average headset.

I have 2 sound cards and 2 video cards on the same PC, one between the 2 video cards and the other one on the top PCI-E, never had a problem with temp., but my case is well ventilated.
  8. Tardan

Thanks Received:
    I have a Sennheiser PC 360 waiting to be used. :)

Oh wow, that's quite the setup! That is reassuring to say the least. :laugh:

Why the need for two sound cards?
  9. silapakorn

silapakorn

Thanks Received:
    670 SLI here. Just put the soundcard above the top card. It is going to be HOT, but the card will survive with no problem.

[​IMG]

My top GPU is 85c full load, bottom is 79c. My soundcard is X-FI titanium HD. Granted, the EM shield on the card gets kinda hot when you touch it. But so far no problem regarding the soundcard and GPUs.
    Tardan says thanks.
  10. Tardan

Thanks Received:
    Hey, that almost looks pretty similar to my rig, except with blue lights! :laugh:

Thank you for the picture, gives me an excellent idea of what it how it will turn out. :toast: