1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sound fishy?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by russianboy, Dec 30, 2008.

1. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I frequent my guitar store on a regular basis, and I was approached by some lady that was looking for people to sign up for a sort of "musician workshop". Considering that I didn't care much about my surroundings at the time other than the giant Blackstar stack in front of me, I gave them my e-mail address and phone number, figuring I could always tell them to STFU.

So I get a call yesterday from some guy asking me about where I am musically blah blah blah, and asks if I want to come to the next workshop date (I missed the last one, they misspelled my email). So today I get an email, and it has this irritating in-your-face cookie cutter structure to it. According to the guy, they are doing 2-3 hour tours around the studio telling people about the musical industry and all that is related. I didn't mind the idea, figuring I could get to know some people with similar aspirations/obsessions. Their website also looks kinda...fishy.

TPU-What's your stance?

Site: http://www.miworkshop.com/

Email:

Hi George,

It was great talking with you today. I¹m really looking forward to seeing you next Sunday!

We¹ve been doing this event for over a decade ¬ and I can honestly say it¹s more exciting than ever!

There will be tons of cool activities including an exciting presentation on how YOU can make your own music and get it heard without having to spend a ton of money. We will talk about how YOU can get into film, radio, TV, video games, ring tones, and other areas of entertainment media. We will also talk about the current DJ culture, live sound and lighting skills, and the vast
    number of opportunities available for those interested in music business, marketing, and promotions.

PLUS
    YOU will get an inside look at one of the largest and most successful recording studios in Chicago¹s history as we take you on a guided tour into the tantalizing world of state-of-the-art recording studios, digital production suites, and mastering facilities. If you¹re into gear ¬ you¹ll
    love this part!

PLUS, PLUS
    YOU will get a chance to network with other musicians, DJ¹s, producers, songwriters, and folks just like you who are also looking at improving their skills and learning more about the business. We supply the refreshments, you supply the business cards.

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY - NO COMMITMENT TO BUY
    You don¹t have to buy or commit to anything in order to come and enjoy this event.

Just come as you are ¬ and enjoy the day!

YOUR SEAT IS RESERVED
    I have reserved seating for you ¬ Seating is limited!

DATE / TIME
    The event takes place on Sunday January 4th at 5:00 PM Please try to arrive on time so you don¹t miss any of the action. If you¹re running late ¬ that¹s ok ¬ just call us so we know to save your seat.

LOCATION / DIRECTIONS
    We are located at:

2443 North Clybourn Ave
    Chicago, Il 60614

Just north of the 3-way intersection of Fullerton, Ashland, and Clybourn Ave

Plain Brick Building ¬ because we have a lot of expensive equipment inside

If you are unfamiliar with the area ¬ we recommend you type the address into
    Google Maps
  2. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Sounds about the same as people selling timeshares.
  3. russianboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Indeed.

At the store, it sounded like some sort of "browse our studio" promotion sort of thing, but after reading that e-mail, it smells rather fishy.

google doesn't bring up much either.
  4. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Go there drunk and start yelling and shouting.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  5. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Did a little snooping. Seems that MIW is a legit company.
    It seems that they hold the free workshops to get people interested in what they offer for money.
    This is a common practice, but my thought would be that the workshop is just a front to try to get you into one of their paid curriculums.
    It would not hurt to go, as it would not cost you anything, but I don't think you are going to get any real substantial infromation in the free workshop.

Just my opinion.
    russianboy says thanks.