1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sound on my HDTV?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bubs, Aug 27, 2010.

1. bubs

bubs New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dent mate i did not say anywhere about laptop. Sorry for mix up i should have specified it better. Ok, thanks for the Graph card advice. But just out of interest i saw this just and thought it looked a good deal. Some of the reviewers say they can run crysis. But i am not bother about crysis, i just loooooove my 3d adventures like sam&max and tales of MI. Also i have been looking and i might get a fancy new mobo that supports quad and is ddr 3. Then it may not be too much of a smoker computer. Heres the link to the card i have seen tho:
    http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-070-GW&tool=3

Please tell me what you think!
  2. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a great card, I've used them before but not the Gainward version.

If you want to save some scratch whats the harm in trying a 3.5mm to RCA cable? We have no confirmation that this won't work and for the one or two quid it would cost for you to try it seems insane not to.

The cable you need looks identical to the second picture in this post. You'd connect the smaller 3.5mm single connector to your computer's audio output (green) and the red and white RCA jacks to the red and white receptacles nearest to the VGA input on the TV. Then just make sure you turn the volume up nice and loud on the computer.
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i can see a lot of people are confused here. the guy from maplis was actually correct.

HDTV's only allow audio to come in from the same source as the video - so if you were using HDMI, the audio would have to be on HDMI. He cant use alternate inputs (such as the ones for a composite connection via 3.5mm to RCA cable adaptors) because the TV will mute the other inputs when set to VGA.

Since you're using VGA, there should be a 3.5mm stereo input next to the VGA input on the HDTV, allowing you to get stereo audio that way. If you dont have such an input, then you're outta luck til you get a video card capable of HDMI audio.
  4. bubs

bubs New Member

Thanks Received:
    Right Gzero put a perfect picture of the back of my TV, but sadly it does not have the port im looking for.
  5. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Speaking as somebody that has the 4850 themselves, it is a very good card although its beginning show its age. It can handle Crysis pretty well in DX9.0 mode at high settings (not very high) at 720p flawlessly. BFBC2 plays at the highest settings in DX9.0 mode @ about 45-70 FPS average and 100 FPS peak, bear in mind I'm running it on a overclocked quadcore.

The 4850 is basically slightly slower than the 5750, considering that the 5750 is priced @ £90-110, I feel the 4850 is a bargain @ £61.
  6. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't waste your time looking at overpriced retail prices on last gen hardware. Similarly don't waste your time looking up current gen hardware on ebay. :>

You can get your hands on a HD4870 512mb for around £50 if you keep an eye on ebay.

Obviously check your psu is up to it. You could always try the 4850 as well. The Nvidia alternatives were overpriced on ebay the last time I checked.