• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

sound problems

SlipSlice

Processor AMD ATHLON 64 SAN DIEGO 3700@2.42GHZ
Motherboard ASUS A8N5X
Cooling 1X80MM CASE FAN, 1X80MM CPU FAN, 2X120MM FANS(ONE TAKING AIR OUT..OTHER FOR HARDDRIVE
Memory 1.5 GIG, DDR400 CORSAIR
Video Card(s) eVGA 7900GS KO
Storage 160GIG WESTERN DIGITAL 7200RPM
Display(s) Acer 22' Widescreen
Case ROSEWILL CASE 5600 SERIES..2 BLUE LED CASE FANS
Audio Device(s) SOUND BLASTER LIVE 24 BIT!
Power Supply SPARKLE 400 WATT
Software WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION..its gr8/LOTS OF GAMES
I have a soundblaster live 24 bit soundcard thats not possibly working. I have tried reinstalling drivers several times with the old disk that came with it which usually works but doesn't any long i guess. ive tried going to creative.com to check on there drivers for xp but they dont even have drivers for the soundblaster live 24 bit anymore. this all became a problem when i got several viruses on my computer which are gone now, and deleted my sound drivers or messed them up somehow. i used a driver cleaning program to get rid of the old ones and like i said tried reinstalling the drivers several times, but when i go to conrol panel>sound>, everything is always greyed out. I don't know what to do...anybody have any suggestions i have and havent had sound for over 2 weeks now.
thanks for any help.

i know the soundcard works because if i got to hardware on audio and click on soundblaster audio it says (this device is working properly). So im thinking its just a driver problem but im not definately not sure.

ps. sorry if this threads in the wrong position of the forums, im not sure if its a software problem or a hardware problem.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I do not know if it is really a driver problem. It could be that onboard audio is enabled. Or it could also be that it is not set as the default sound device. You can try driver upgrade using XP and see if it can find the card. Otherwise, try taking it out and making sure nothing is wrong with it, no dust in the slots and try reinstalling all over again.

SlipSlice

Processor AMD ATHLON 64 SAN DIEGO 3700@2.42GHZ
Motherboard ASUS A8N5X
Cooling 1X80MM CASE FAN, 1X80MM CPU FAN, 2X120MM FANS(ONE TAKING AIR OUT..OTHER FOR HARDDRIVE
Memory 1.5 GIG, DDR400 CORSAIR
Video Card(s) eVGA 7900GS KO
Storage 160GIG WESTERN DIGITAL 7200RPM
Display(s) Acer 22' Widescreen
Case ROSEWILL CASE 5600 SERIES..2 BLUE LED CASE FANS
Audio Device(s) SOUND BLASTER LIVE 24 BIT!
Power Supply SPARKLE 400 WATT
Software WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION..its gr8/LOTS OF GAMES
I do not know if it is really a driver problem. It could be that onboard audio is enabled. Or it could also be that it is not set as the default sound device. You can try driver upgrade using XP and see if it can find the card. Otherwise, try taking it out and making sure nothing is wrong with it, no dust in the slots and try reinstalling all over again.

ill try turning off the onboard sound first then the other.
do you go to your bios to turn off the onboard sound?

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
You can get the driver(s) you need at DriverGuide just in case you need them.