1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

soundcard problems

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mcgoffsoff, Oct 25, 2005.

1. mcgoffsoff New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been trying to install a typhoon soundcard
    but each time I install it windows wont boot.

this is the third card I have failed to install.:banghead:

I have re-installed windows xp-pro, and I have changed the pci slot.:banghead:

I also have the latest drivers from windows update.:banghead:

still having a conflict.:banghead:

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.:respect:

2. donny New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try to put your Sound card in to botom pci slot... With what you have conflicts... Look at post bios screen, or try start>msinfo32 ... See confilct section...

Specify the problem, and i'll try to help you...

3. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would assume it's your motherboard's built-in software/sound hardware (I'm probably just stating the obvious), so maybe you should check the BIOS and there might be a default sound hardware option. I mean sound cards are the most tempermental hardware of a computer, if they don't work they piss you off but it doesn't make you want to go fix it as much as a faulty graphics card or something, because graphics are needed. I hate messing with sound stuff, I mean mics work half the time for no reason, sound conflicts with hardware sound all the time, and (especially with surround sound) speakers are really stupid when it comes to that. I have a 4.1 surround system, and since windows has never heard of it I have some problems. Plus I have a digital cable for it, of course that hasn't worked in the past 2 computers I've tried, so I use analog and have to run sound through the rear speakers (it's an option you find in a sound control panel), in other words sound is hard to do. I mean you might be able to fix your conflict problem by touching the sound card with your finger, or have to do an entire reformat and disable the built-in hardware. Stupid sound stuff.

4. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried the card in a different computer yet. Thats the quickest way to troubleshoot and see if its just something wrong with the card. Good luck! AMDCam is right sound cards are temperamental.:cry:

5. mcgoffsoff New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys:
    Thanks for replying to my post. Sorry I haven't got back sooner, been very busy.

Donny.- There doesn't seem to be A conflict when I check, everything is ok.
    I have also tried different pci slots including the bottom one,and indeed I have managed to install all drivers and utilities when the card works for a short time,(maybe 3 or 4 bootups), but then the system freezes up whilst booting into windows. I have now removed the card from my system and enabled onboard audio.

AMD Cam. - your not wrong about the temperamental nature of these beasts, but I feel there might be a fault in my mobo,(About time for an upgrade anyway along with my cpu),but thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Thermopylae_480.- I only have one pc, but as I said, I have tried two cards previously and had the same problems.

Should've mentioned my onboard sound gives off a crackle occasionally with a distinctive pattern or cycle every 3-4 seconds, which was my reason for a soundcard in the first place.

thanks guys:toast:

6. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    check your bios for a value called PCI latency, see if its on 32,

i would wonder, you wouldnt happen to have a generic PSU wouldnt you ?
    and if all that fails, consider a new motherboard, ULI makes good chipsets, for amd,
    on the intel part, not sure about it, also asus has been declining in quality latly