1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Soundcard, worth it?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by niciuffo, Aug 17, 2012.

1. niciuffo

niciuffo

Thanks Received:
    So, I got about 450$ for an upgrade, and will probably buy a cheap 120hz monitor for gaming. I opened a thread about the best upgrade for the money right now, and someone mentioned an inexpensive soundcard would be useful. Now, I'm using a pair or Logitech G930 which are connected via USB, while I sometimes play or listen to music with a small Logitech 2.1 system (this one). My question is, would I notice any difference by using a dedicated soundcard?
    Thanks in advance.

2. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Well there aren't a bad set of speakers. Your Headset is USB so a sound card is of no benefit there. The headphones are the "sound card"
    I mean I run my X-Fi Fatality thru a really old and pretty cheap Creative 5.1 set. It still sounds MUCH better than on board.

niciuffo says thanks.
  3. niciuffo

niciuffo

Thanks Received:
    Mmm yeah but you are talking about 5.1 systems while I got a 2.1 one. You think I will notice the diffecence? And what soundcard would you recommend?

4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Can you clarify?

niciuffo says thanks.
  5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    do you demand high quality of sound? better like thx dolby or like that?
    are you kinda audiophile? if yes, you could add soundcard in your list
    for daily use you could use onboard soundcard. for today onboard soundcard is pretty good but for serious need you need serious card.

niciuffo says thanks.
  6. niciuffo

niciuffo

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I'm pretty serious about music and would like to get the best out of my speakers. I guess I'll try to get one, any advice about a cheap one? This is the cheapest one I found: CREATIVE Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio, 49,20CHF (=41€)

7. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Realteks onboard has this "in a can" sound to that no amount of EQ'ing can get rid of. The EQ itself is also pretty poor not near enough range to be useful. The overall clarity just isn't there like on my X-Fi(I don't run any "effects" just straight 5.1 with an EQ)

Everytime I build a new PC I always give the onboard a test run to see if it's "better" but I always end up disabling it and back to the X-Fi

Even the Realtek in my laptop over Optical to my receiver using DDL(which should be a "clean" signal) has that "hollow in a can" sound.

8. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    That one isn't a "real" X-fi it's using the older CA0106 not the EMU20K chip. It essentially a rebadged Audigy Value/SE

Auzentech use X-Fi chips. Something like the Auzentech Forte is a great card for the money. In some ways better than Creatives own. Has a Headphone amp and even changeable OpAMPS.

9. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    A sound card is most definitely worth it in your case. That mobo has the ALC892 which is one of Realtek's poorer recent offerings, SNR of about 95db. The ALC898 and ALC889 are the good ones with ~ 105db SNR. The xonar DX is quite highly regarded so i'm sure that would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Do not get the xtreme audio, as above it's not really an X-fi. I did tests and found that it was only slightly better than the ALC888 (similar to ALC892) and that was only due to software enhancements.

neoreif, niciuffo and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  10. niciuffo

niciuffo

Thanks Received:
    After looking up on the web, I guess I'll get the Xonar DX for about 70 bucks. (I currently have 80, so it's perfect :) )
    I also heard about really bad drivers support on both creative and asus sides. Did you have any issue with yours, and are there maybe some user-made drivers?

11. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    What i did was take another set of 2.1 speakers and hook them to the rear out on my onboard sound. That in it self made a difference to me. Enough of a difference that I decided I didn't need a dedicated sound card. I do listen to music alot at my rig. I have a set of Logitech and a old set of Creative/Cambridge soundworks hooked up. So it's like 4.2 with the 2 subs. :toast:

niciuffo says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    I agree and even so if his onboard was better. Even playing lossful mp3s through my Logitech Z-5500s (decent but hardly great for music) I noticed a nice difference in sound quality with an X-Fi over onboard. And I am far from an experienced audiophile.

The additional software features and control is also nice plus EAX (and Alchemy) as I am a gamer. Can't speak for Xonar drivers but for Creative you want "X-Fi Support Pack 2.0" under Windows 7 which is actually by some dude named Daniel K. but they are hosted by Creative cuz they are solid. Just a cheap Xtreme Gamer here too. Had it for years now with pretty much zero issues.

By the way, what monitor(s) are you considering?

Interesting method but it's hard to "decide you don't need a sound card" before you actually try one. They really are better overall and across-the-board.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    niciuffo says thanks.
  13. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    HT Omega

niciuffo says thanks.
  14. niciuffo

niciuffo

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, and I sometimes listen to FLACs so I would hear the differemce.
    By the way, the monitor I am considering to buy is either the Benq xl2410t or the Benq xl2420t.

15. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    IMO having an independent source to handle audio makes your computer work not as hard and frees up some of it's resources.
    I'd say everyone should have a sound card where applicable.. Some games don't play well with onboard sound at all. They just can't handle too many sounds at once, not to mention they can't handle top tier quality as well. A dedicated sound card however, will handle them all and ask for more..

Example, with onboard sound, some games you play, you might actually have to edit the config, to limit the amount of sounds a game can make at once.. A sound card helps alleviate issues like that.. Some games will totally lag out and crash because of this problem. It is very well documented.. GL and whatever you do.. Enjoy. :)

niciuffo says thanks.
  16. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Not indending to hijack this thread... I have an ASUS SupremeFX II / PCIe that came with my Maximus Formula also have one with my Rampage Formula.

What's underneath the hood of that?

17. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks Received:
    +1

Driver bliss.

18. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Hmm not cheap but the HT Omegas look great. $35 off + free shipping on the Clario II 7.1 at the Egg right now:

Link

19. niciuffo

niciuffo

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, but unfortunately I live in Switzerland and here you don't get a wide choice of online stores. The only soundcards I found here are the ASUS and Creative ones.

20. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks Received:
    They ship international. Email them directly.

http://www.htomega.com/wheretobuy.html

"For other countries, please email to sales@htomega.com
    Free shipping for domestic orders, $15.00 Worldwide. And International orders also received the 30-day return perid and full guaranty."

niciuffo says thanks.
  21. niciuffo

niciuffo

Thanks Received:
    Holy damn, I tought it was way cheaper than that! 150$ plus 15 for ww delivery, I might take it in consideration after a couple of years with the Xonar DX. I think that's more for pro audio guys. Thanks anyway for the info!