1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Soundproofing

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by hellrazor, May 14, 2011.

1. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    My PC isn't loud (it's actually pretty quiet), but it's enough to keep me up at night. Are there any cheap (read: free) ways to make it quieter?

I'mma try putting a few rubber bands on the PSU (for vibration dampening and whatnot) tomorrow morning.
  2. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Turn it off.
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    ...or put it in a different room.

You might just get used to it. I sleep in the same room as my server and when it goes off, the silence is deafening. It is probably a constant 40-50 dB but the keyword there is "constant." If it's whiny, replace small fans with large heatsinks. If it rattles, find what is rattingly by touching it and attempt to fix it.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    You can insulate the inside of the case with matting. Like the 1/4 " thick flexable foam sometimes used a packing material or some other type of insulation. Use quietier fans. cover the exaust ports with filter materal or dryer tubing a couple of feet long. Take fans out. use bigger heat sinks. Turn on a radio :
  6. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    The rubber bands around the PSU did a little bit (nothing much, but worth the 4 rubber bands anyways).

I usually do, but sometimes somebody just has to be on it when I'm trying to sleep.

It is whiny, but I don't have any small fans in the first place (my motherboard uses a lot of stock heatsinks).

The only thing I have around here that could be used as filter material would be old T-shirts.... or maybe a sock.....