• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Source Engine Games Locking Up

oface12

So I decided to upgrade my whole rig this past week and ever since I got it loaded, I've been having problems with Steam. I am able to load TF2 or DOD:Source or CS:S just fine and join a server, but anywhere from 1min in to 1 hour in, it locks up on me. I do not have this problem with any NON source engine games. I played CS 1.6 for about 2 hours and Doom 3 for about an hour and a half this morning and not even a hickup at the VERY highest settings. The game still progresses VERY slowly, so I don't hear the same looping sounds over and over and over. But the game basically crashes. My friend was in a server with me and it crashed in the middle of a jump and I just hung in mid air. I let it run for a few minutes one time after it started to F up and it closed the game and brought up the error "Engine Error Failed to lock vertex buffers in CmeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer". Steam says this error is due to not enough paged pool data or something like that. I used process explorer and while in TF2 I was nowhere near the 150MB mark that they said. While in TF2, my paged physical was around 70ish MB.

I am able to Alt+Tab out of the game and I still have full resolution at 1440x900 on the desktop, so I don't think that it is my video drivers or I would be forced back to 4:3 instead of widescreen.

I tried messing with the launch options on TF2 with -dx8, -dxlevel 90, -dxlevel 70, -nosound and none of these fixed the problem. I did the noosound to make sure that it wasn't my audio drivers F'n up. I will run the game again and take a picture of the screen so that you can see what I mean when I say that it pixels like crazy. It almost looks like it kicks it back down to 4bit color. A couple times, an error message saying that nv4_dsp driver stopped working correctly and I had to restart my comp to get past 800x600/4bit color on DESKTOP.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Setup:
CPU: Intel Q9450
CPU Fan: Zalman 9700
Mobo: EP35C-DS3R
Ram: 2GB Corsair DDR2-1066
PSU: Corsair 750W
Video: BFG 8800GTX OC
Case: CoolerMaster CM690

I have all the latest windows updates, drivers and bios for everything. I have already re-formatted about 5 times.

BRING ME YOUR THOUGHTS!

Sorry if this was a bit long, I wanted to be thorough. Let me know if I'm forgetting any info.

Last edited:

oface12

O yea, I tried ALL the things that were on Steam's support page, and none of them worked. My boot.ini did not have that lock line in it, so I couldn't fix it that way.

I found a website from googleing this problem that had instructions on how to use regedit to increase the paged pool size, I tried that and it didn't work. I was, however, able to get a solid 20 minutes gaming time in when I did that, but it still crashed on me.

SOMEONE HELP ME!!! I have an awesome computer that can't play source games!!! I am missing my TF2!

kylew

Processor Main: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 3.7Ghz / Server: Q6600@ Stock
Motherboard Main: Asus P5E @ Rampage Forumla / Server: P5K Deluxe
Cooling Main: Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme (8 x 120mm fans inc. PSU + 2 x 92mm fans.) / Server: Stock
Memory Main: 4x2GB Gskill DDR2 1000Mhz / Server: 4x1GB Gskill DDR2 800Mhz
Video Card(s) Main: 2GB 5870 Eyefinity 6 / Server: HD 4850
Storage 8 Internal (SATA) 2 External (USB). Total storage 5.4TB
Display(s) Triple Dell 24" 2408WFP
Case Main: Silverstone TJ07 / Server: Coolermaster Stacker 810
Audio Device(s) Main: Auzentech Xmystique / Server: NI Rig Kontrol
Power Supply Main: Coolermaster Realpower 850w Modular / Server Tagan 600W Modular
Software Main: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit / Server: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark 06 19.5k 3D Mark Vantage 12.5k Super PI 13.4s
Can anyone give me an idea on what to try????

Have you tried deleting the game data and re-downloading it? I've had a few issues with steam (source) games similar to you, they went away when I re-installed windows. I didn't re-install to solve the problem though, it was another issue. :) I think deleting the local game data and re-downloading them will get them working again, if not, re-install windows if you've just done a major PC overhaul.