1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SourceForge forced to remove BackupHDDVD from their website

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Mar 3, 2007.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    A lot of *nix users know SourceForge as a great place to find (source code for) programs. A SourceForge member decided it would be a good idea to post a program called "BackupHDDVD". BackupHDDVD literally "backed up" HDDVD's, allowing for multiple copies to be stored and produced. SourceForge recently got a letter saying that any program that cracks copy protection like that is breaking a federal law, and so they decided to remove the program.

Source: Nordic Hardware

2. Leon2ky New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if it really is illegal or are they just making shit up. I don't recall it technically being illegal as long as you still have the original one.

3. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I always thought you were allowed to have a personal back-up of software and movies, so long as you owned the original and did not distribute the film/program.

4. Demon_82

Demon_82

Thanks Received:
    At least in Spain we have in our laws that right of a personal back-up copy, but it's a right wich has been systematically ignored, overruled by anti-copy laws and that author associations sh¡t.

5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    The problem is that the laws that protect us consumers, and the laws the protect the content providers, largely contradict themselves in most countries. There is currently no clear answer as to the legality of these issues. AKA: A GIANT gray area.

6. Scavar

Scavar New Member

Thanks Received:
    In technical terms its legal and illegal. There are laws in the United States supporting both. So its really just a gray warzone.

7. Saurian New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's absolutely legal to backup a copy of whatever you purchase. However, it is absolutely illegal to break any sort of encryption algorithm applied to said product.

Basically you can buy the land and put a house on it, you just have no way to drive to and from it.

8. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    They were just pissed because of the fact that someone broke their :unbreakable: drm system. Idiots. They should hire some of these crackers and pay them well to stop piracy.

9. Bob The Fish New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree, shame that some new hackers will just out hack them.