1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

South Africa: Pigeon faster than Internet

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Cuzza, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol, check this out!

Broadband promised to unite the world with super-fast data delivery - but in South Africa it seems the web is still no faster than a humble pigeon.

A Durban IT company pitted an 11-month-old bird armed with a 4GB memory stick against the ADSL service from the country's biggest web firm, Telkom.

Winston the pigeon took two hours to carry the data 60 miles - in the same time the ADSL had sent 4% of the data.

source http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8248056.stm
  2. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Lol i posted that in Gn makes me feel so happy im here in Oz. :p
  3. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Silly article.

Most European ADSL services would struggle to provide 4GB in under 60 minutes.

In fact (in UK), most providers of consumer ADSL would have a cap between 2GB and 5GB per month before extra charges need to be paid.

And WHAT exactly do these Africans want to download that is 4GB large? 8 pirate movies? You mean, they want to download them because to RIP 8 movies would take MUCH LONGER than 60 minutes.

BBC journalist needs to be fired for wasting everyones time and FUD.
  4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Africans don't download pirate movies, they make them themselves out on the seas using their phone cameras.
    PVTCaboose1337 says thanks.
  5. skylamer

skylamer

Thanks Received:
    ahahahahahahahahahaha niceONE ! :laugh:
  6. Cuzza

Cuzza New Member

Thanks Received:
    True. it doesn't actually say however that they were trying to transmit 4gb, just that they used a 4gb stick. it is a crap article, but amusing nonetheless. should have put it in GN i suppose.
  7. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Seriously, what do they want with 4GB of data on their old second hand windows 3.1, 8Gb HDD 386/486 charity skool computer cast-offs? Perhaps they want the bandwidth to try and multi-hack bank accounts, or to send EVEN MORE Nigeria scam emails. I say the 1st World should BAN ADSL internet access in Africa... or at least implement pay-per-email.

This (intended to be comic) rhetoric has been "reported" as racist. Apologies to the person that was offended. There was no intention to be racist in any way. Apologies for inferring that some people in Africa use second hand PCs and/or dont have the latest equipment and/or software and/or have used their PCs for unscrupulous activities and/or are using Windows and not Apple Macs and OSX when in fact they might be.*

* Note that his apology is not limited in any way to only the use second hand PCs and/or dont have the latest equipment and/or software and/or have used their PCs for unscrupulous activities and/or are using Windows and not Apple Macs and OSX when in fact they might be, but shall also include apology for any other combination of words and phrases that can be construed from the above. However, the apology does not include third party liability. If by association of words you recall somebody else's comment that was found to be offensive in any way, then this association is the result of your own projection and is your problem alone to deal with and your psychologist can give you advice on which medication may assist you in managing your emotional response.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    [I.R.A]_FBi says thanks.
  8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    outside of america, very few ISP's have upload speeds great enough for a 4GB file transfer.

I'm on adsl2+ here in aus (fastest you can get, realy), and its theoretical best is 24Mb down and 1Mb up. - 100KB/s aint getting you very far with large files.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  9. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Well thats like saying I walked across the street to my neighbors house and transferred 16GB of data in less than 3 min just by carrying my Flash Drive, of course its faster!!! Thats like ubber download speeds right there. My fiber optics hasn't even touched 10 MB loL!
  10. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Yes, America internet be great.

[​IMG]

From speedtest.net (automatically highlights your own country)
  11. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    :eek: look at those eastern europe upload speeds. :roll: Makes me wonder what they are uploading.
  12. skylamer

skylamer

Thanks Received:
    DanTheBanjoman, yeah man, but that's the avarage speed for whole country ;// if Bulgaria is there with only avr speed from Sofia(then we'll be in top3) and i' am sure of this:D

p.s. because only a few the other cities outside of Sofia have similiar/good i-net :toast:
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  13. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Those are averages. Those high speed lines often do up to 50-100Mbit/s, if you look at those numbers they're probably pulling them that high, but it's clear that most of the country doesn't enjoy such speeds. That basically goes for all those high ranked countries, several areas with extremely high speed, rest is just average or below. Either way, America isn't exactly high speed internet country #1 as Mussels basically suggested.

Food recipes and beauty tips.
  14. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    This article is stupid, because obviously everyone involved doesn't realize how ADSL works.

Your upload speed is always complete crap compared to your download speed, that is the whole idea of ADSL. You get good download speeds, but only enough upload to keep the connection moving and handle handshakes and such.

I'll give an example: A common speed in the USA is 6Mb/s Download and 512Kb/s Upload. So if someone with that connection wants to send a 4GB file, they get trasfer speeds of only 64KB/s! Do the math: A 4GB file is 4,194,304KB. So to transfer that file it would take 65,536 Seconds, or 1,092.266 Minutes, or 18 Hours! In 1 hours, you would transfer about 5.5% of the 4GB file. And that is on a US connection, assuming perfect conditions and 100% throughput(which never happens). And there are slower connections than that, most ADSL users in the US use lower plans than that. Usually in the 256Kb/s upload range.

ADSL is not meant for sending files back and forth, it is mean for primarily downloading. If they wanted to send files back and forth across an internet connect, you have to pay for an internet connection that offers better upload rates. That is why ADSL@6Mb/512Kb is cheap, while a T1@1.5Mb/1.5Mb is a lot more expensive...
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    yup yup, more detailed version of what i said.

they could DOWNLOAD 4GB fairly fast, but upload is another thing.
  16. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    yes americas speed isn't the best but for now there aren't many isps that cap you even now, every month I download like, I don't know 100GB-200GB with no prob with my crap ISP

mainly because I store my HDD's online and always wipe my pc and need to redownload all that stuff
  17. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    how else do you think they play starcraft 24/7?
  19. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I meant average as in medicore as in slow compared to the download. XD I knew South Korea had the highest download speeds by far but they have an achilles heel too which is kinda silly for a state-wide system.

I'm lucky I can get ADSL at all. :) :(
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    I just checked oz 41 for dls and 69 for ul thats sad. :banghead::cry:
  21. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    Should i realy tell you?
  22. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Laggy, like I used to do many years ago :)
  23. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i saw a guy at respawn (450 person lan) a few weeks back, and someone was playing starcraft... and lagging.

i have no idea what the hell he was doing at a lan with a PC that old.
  24. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    I think we are agreed: BBC reporter needs to fall on sword for APPAULING ARTICLE
  25. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    wow. This is retarded. So, im faster than both of them! ill pack 40 2TB hard drives in my backpack, hike the distance in a day or so, while the bird could only carry its thumb drives back and forth, getting about 300GB in thumb drives while I can get 80TB! wow, I'm fast!