1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Spam from my sisters email

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Frick, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Hey all.

One of my sisters emails sends out spam. It comes a spam every other day with some shopping offers with links to VERY wierd homepages. She is aware of this, and she has no idea why this is happening. Otherwise she uses her mail like usual, and everything seems to work the way is should. No passwords have been altered or anything.

Is it a virus, trojan or something? What do you think she should do?

Thanks for looking!

/Frick

2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Could be a virus but depends... what nature of account is it coming from? Is it web based email, ISP or exchange server?

Frick says thanks.
  3. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you can, post the full e-mail header from one of the spam messages. It may be spoofed and not actually coming from her.

Frick says thanks.
  4. js01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would advise her to change her password I had the same problem and as soon as I changed my password they stopped, it's actually happened to a lot of people that I know not sure how they get the passwords as I never use webmail It usually says something like "Hope you have a good mood in shopping from their company" in the end of the email.

Frick says thanks.
  5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Key-loggers, or what have you.

First, go to safe machine, change password.

If this does not fix it, then the problem is likely on her personal machine still.

Also do everything else that's already listed, and verify that the header isn't spoofed.

Frick says thanks.
  6. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    Yeah change password in safe mode and run malwarebytes (free scan+clean).

Frick says thanks.
  7. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    True - although, more than a few emails would seem a little suspicous, rather than just a generated or "logged" email address.

As well - it's quite possible the email isn't coming directly from her account. Some email providers allow one to send email, but use a different "from" address (i.e. gmail) - for example, your primary email address is someone@someplace.com, when you send a message it would appear to come from someone@noplace.com . . .

It wouldn't surprise me, either, that if your sister had registered on a site, that they could be selling off email addresses - sometimes those really shady purchasers of these email lists will use some of these addresses to "mask" where the emails are actually coming from.

Follow the suggestions tha have already been posted, first - defi change the password. Run a good A/V program, and check your rig over for any other malware. Do a good manual cleaning of internet files, too, both cookies, temp files, and any other tripe that ends up in your temp folders. Anything that doesn't want to be deleted nice and easy tends to not bode well . . . if the issue still continues, she may have to give some serious thought to closing the account and picking up a new email provider elsewhere.

It's a PITA, for all involved.

Frick says thanks.
  8. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Right, thanks ya'll, I will forward this to her and get back to you. It's from a hotmail account btw.

Thanks! :D