1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Speaker cable length / degradation?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by twicksisted, Jan 27, 2012.

1. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Thank's! Nice classic tune :toast:

Here's one for ya Asrock:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  2. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    Just an update...

Finally my NAD C320BEE amplifier & C521BEE CD Player have arrived :)
    They sound awesome with the wharfdale Xarus 5000 floorstanders and I had nothing to worry about as this amp more than drives them way above any sane levels I'll ever set them at normally.

In the end I got two 5m Van Damme speaker cables terminated with some gold banana plugs and a high spec Fisual gold plated interconnect for the CD to amp connection. I'm a very happy man with the result!

I'm in the process of buying another house and not sure exactely when my moving day is but cant wait to finally set this all up in my new lounge. It has a much better layout to the room im using them in now which is actually my home office. The layout is bad and its full of shelving for stock and other junk... I think in the new lounge the speakers will sound a lot different and have legroom. only a few more weeks to go :D
    m1dg3t and AsRock say thanks.
  3. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    good to hear :)
    twicksisted says thanks.
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the update, and happy you like it.. Those NAD's know how to dish out bass that's for sure..
    twicksisted says thanks.
  5. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    Rediscovering my love of music again. Spent the last 6 years working in the music industry and being bombarded with music that I diddnt neccessarily want to listen to all day long.
    I never listened to music at home because of this and only started working with music as I loved it so much, what a catch 22 lol. Been out of it for about a year and its definately good to have decent sound and time to listen to stuff that I want to hear :)
  6. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Right on! Glad you're enjoying everything, you have a nice lil' setup there and it should last you quite a while ;) Not sure how much of an interest it is to you but you may want to add a TT in the future and spin some vinyl :) I love vinyl :eek:

I know what you mean about music, it's all so shitty these day's! You really have to look for the good stuff otherwise it's all the same auto tuned pop crap :cry:

Congratulation's on the new house and good luck with your move! I'd offer to help but i think i'm on the wrong side of the pond?
    twicksisted says thanks.
  7. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    For sure! I used to DJ with vinyl back in the day... I've been looking at some turntables on the local classifieds but since I moved to the UK I dont have my vinyl collection anymore and I'd like to get a quality deck with a decent tonearm, cartridge and stylis which seems hard to come by!

I wouldnt mind getting some tunes on wax again :)
  8. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    UPDATE:

These Wharfdale Xarus 5000 speakers are huge! Much larger than normal floorstanders with a tweeter, 5.25" midrange & two 5.25" bass cones. The results when seated directly on my wooden floor is way too much bass.
    Dont get me wrong, I like bass but with this system i'd rather get a more natural & neutral sound (If I want to hear overloaded bass I have my onkyo / wharfdale 5.1 surround system with a seperate subwoofer to play music on in the other room ;)

The solution:

I bought some "Atacama Speaker Stand Gel Isolation Pads" for £5.99 on amazon and stuck them to the bottom of the speaker cabinets to isolate them from the wooden floor.
    I was a bit dubious as to how much it would improve things but wow what a difference!
    The overall sound is so much sharper and cleaner!!! Previously i couldnt turn thre volume up past a quarter as it was way too boomy and now I can go up to half way (just before my ears bleed) and get clean accurate bass! very happy.

Still havent moved into my new house yet but that also has solid oak wooden flooring so should sound the same and probably better as the room will be much larger and more suited to these beastly speakers :)

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    m1dg3t says thanks.
  9. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    A lot of great table's to be had for less than $1k brand new and even less if sought on the 2nd hand market ;) Vinyl is making a comeback and new pressing's are constantly coming out as well as original pressing's finding their way into the "used" market, i'm up to about 300 title's with the majority being previously enjoyed, about 75/25 ratio of old > new :eek: My TT was scored 2nd hand and i have modified it to improve it's sonic's and TBH for what i have invested in it i am pleased, my RCM (record cleaning machine) cost more than my TT with mod's! lol

Rega, Project, MusicHall, ClearAudio (to name a few) all make great product's for the price and most of them include the stylus/cartridge so it's just a plug & play thing! Going vintage can save you some scratch but be prepared for anything because of that, i went 2nd hand vintage and have been lucky so far :eek:

It's amazing the effect the enviroment can have on sound reproduction! Glad you found an economical AND effective "fix" for your system :) My Polk's have something similar on the bottom of their feet, not silicone but still, i would however like to spike the feet but i can't justify the cost of the disc's ATM :eek: I have the spike's, but a set of disc's is like $40/speaker :eek:
    twicksisted says thanks.