• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Spin Flip Trick Points to Fastest RAM Yet

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Here's a good story catch found by one of our readers and sent to me. Because of the nature of this post I won't try to rewrite it, otherwise I might make a mistake explaining the technical terms used. The text below is borrowed from the original source of the news - NewScientistTech.

Do you wish your computer was faster? Engineers and physicists from Germany have demonstrated the quickest prototype yet of an advanced form of RAM tipped by hardware manufacturers to be the future of computing. The device is so fast it brushes against a fundamental speed-limit for the process. Magnetoresistive random access memory (MRAM) is a faster and more energy efficient version of the RAM used in computers today, and hardware companies think it will in a few years dominate the market.

Its speed and low power will in particular boost mobile computing.
Whereas conventional RAM stores a digital 1 or 0 as the level of charge in the capacitor, MRAM stores it by changing the north-south direction of a tiny magnet's magnetic field. Each variable magnet is positioned next to one with a fixed field. Reading a stored value involves running a current through the pair to discover the direction of the variable magnet's field.

Spin flips
The MRAM that IBM and most other manufacturers are betting on uses the spins of electrons to flip the magnetic fields, called spin-torque MRAM.

Now researchers in Germany have built a spin-torque system that is dramatically faster than any other. Santiago Serrano-Guisan and Hans Schumacher of the Physical-Technical Federal Laboratory of Germany worked with University of Bielefeld and Singulus Nano-Deposition Technologies researchers to build it from tiny pillars 165 nanometres tall.

The top end of each pillar acts as a variable magnet that stores data, whereas the bottom ends are fixed magnets. A current passing through a pillar from bottom to top has the spin of its electrons lined up by the permanent-magnet region.

When those electrons reach the pillars' other end, they flip the variable magnet region's field to match. The field can be flipped back by reversing the current.

Usually when the field is flipped it takes some time to settle into its new orientation. The north-south axis draws a few circles in the air before settling into place.

Wobble control
But theoretical work says it needs to draw only one circle before finding its new position, making the process faster. The German team achieved that, developing a way to observe and control the field's wobble during and after the flip.

By adjusting the duration and strength of the electrical pulse that flips the field, only a single "wobble" is allowed to take place, matching the theoretical limit.

The result is a device many times faster than any before. "Present MRAM are programmed by pulses of about 10 nanoseconds duration," said Serrano-Guisan. "So we are ten times faster." The very best conventional RAM needs around 30 nanoseconds for an equivalent operation.

Robert Buhrman, an expert in nanomagnetics at Cornell University, New York, is impressed but notes that a full MRAM device has not yet been made.

The current used by the German device is at present too electrically dense to be supplied by the transistors used in MRAM circuits. "The next thing that needs to be done is to get the switching currents down to a scale that is compatible with the [standard] CMOS (complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor) transistor," said Buhrman.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Now that sounds cool. Guess I can't use my magnets on my case anymore, lol.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
you shouldnt have magnets on your case in the first place

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
with CRTs magnets were a problem, but with todays stuff, it shouldnt harm it at all.

If this truly is the future, I cannot wait!

Sent1nel

Processor C2D E6600 overclocked
Motherboard Gigabyte P965-DQ6
Cooling 240mm Rad (water cooled baby)
Memory 4 GB PC-6400 cl 4
Video Card(s) XfX 8800 GTX
Storage 2x 300 Gb Diamondmax 10's
Display(s) Hanns.G 19" widescreen
Case Thermaltake Armour
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply FSP Epsilon 600W
You should not have magnets near your computer due to potential damage to hard drives and altering electrical current through non shielded circuits.

Charisma

Processor Q6600 @ 3.96ghz - (1.7v)
Motherboard Gigabyte X38-DS4 @ 440FSB
Cooling Koolance KIT-1000BK
Memory GSkill 2 2x2gb PC8000 @ 1056mhz (2.1v)
Video Card(s) Diamond 4870 - 850-GPU/1200-Mem
Storage 2x WD 300gb - Raid 0
Display(s) Westinghouse 42" 1366x768
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi Extreme Music
Power Supply BFG 1KW
Software Vista Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores Estimates: 3D Mark06 18-19k w/ 4870. 20k w/ with 3870CF 3DMarkV-Perf ~9k w/ 4870
I doubt magnets are much of a concern anymore. I happen to have this crazy strong magnet around toally about an inch and a half deep with a 6 inch diameter at around 5 pounds. I might try putting it on an HD I have lying around. I have a feeling the drives are well shielded in this age, perhaps Ill find out :)

Always nice to hear technological progress, but not very excisting as none of the rather unconventional RAM technologies have panned out that Ive seen. Mass storage is what really needs the work anyway.