1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Spintires cool off-road trucks

Discussion in 'Games' started by KingPing, May 19, 2013.

1. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    Jetster, XL-R8R, erocker and 5 others say thanks.
  2. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I see a few problems. It's a risky investment because it's a small niche genre and they're not doing too well so far toward their goal. The road graphics also don't give enough visual indicator of boggy terrain. Dirt soft enough to make an unloaded truck sink that deep should look darker and wetter. It looks like a game that sets you up for frustrating inevitable break downs out of the blue. Aside from that the overall look of the graphics is rather sub par.

3. LightningJR

LightningJR

Thanks Received:
    I already have about 2 hours in the game :p, well, tech demo LOL. Love it.

4. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    I can't stop playing it:laugh:

5. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    this is really good. but they need to get their common sense straight. bog should look mushier and shiner and darker.
    also i like that czech dude swearing everytime i turn the awd on/off :p

6. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    It's alright. Interesting to play around with but can't say it is something I'd spend more than $5-$10 on. While I know it was a tech demo, it had issues with graphics and felt weird at points. Also, the camera drove me a bit nutty.

7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    A bog is land with water under it. It can be dry on top. Looks about right-on in the game.

8. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Rarely is dirt that boggy dry looking on top, esp if what's under has been wet for some time. The wetness tends to leech through as soon as direct sunlight fades, which is never there very long in a dense forest like that.

Even given the fact that some boggy terrain can look dry on top now and then, if you have to find what terrain is boggy via trial and error, it's going to make for a lot of annoying mishaps. They should account for that via a way in game to tell what's boggy and what isn't other than driving head long into it and hoping for the best.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  9. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    For a tech demo the tech really doesnt look all that impressive at all..

10. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Small niche, and their end goal is a small number. I didn't have an issue with road graphics, with a heavy truck you can make solid ground turn to shit real quick as well. The big factor in the game is going to be break downs, using your locking diffs correctly will be a big part. And I'd say the graphics are pretty damn good, this is an indie game with a modest goal and they made their own engine. This isn't some big studio's game, watching a flower fold to the ground as I run it over really impressed me, everything in the game reacts to you hitting it.

I enjoyed it enough to make a small video about it for my YT channel, I'll prob link it up here tomorrow for those that want to just check it out without dling it.

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  11. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I live next to a bog. Anyways, it's not too hard to distinguish where there's mud and where there isn't.

Oh, MISSION FAILED:
    [​IMG]

12. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I've seen plenty of boggy terrain both in sunlight and shade on dirt trails and roads and it's not always dry on top like that game shows, in fact usually not unless it's in a fairly warm climate. They don't even seem to have enough sophistication in their graphics to show varying surface conditions, and that's most of my point.

Besides, these aren't just random bogs, they're forestry roads being used by loggers with heavy loads, which would be constructed with hard pan underneath. Logging isn't a risk every load venture, not even in Russia.

13. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I don't see what all the fuss is about the bog and mud? Its a game lol :laugh:

Just downloaded the demo. Pretty fun game to mess around on. I like the graphics too. Seems to use a similar terrain deformation engine that the more recent MX vs ATV games use.

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  14. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I have to ask because I saw it mentioned in a description of the game on another forum. Are the crates with truck accessories you find actually "radioactive" as this person described (even mentioning a Geiger counter), or do they just have tracking devices?

Seriously, far too many games Involving Russia are exploiting the Chernobyl thing and radioactivity.

erocker says thanks.
  15. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Who tried to drive up stream right off the bat

16. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    You are making too big of a deal out of it. They are using it as a side mechanic, not basing the story around radioactivity, just a way to get some extra parts. Not like they are cutting down a radioactive forest and wearing lead vests while driving lead vehicles.

What other games are exploiting it anyways (only games I can think are Metro and STALKER).

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  17. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Another thing...double the initial Kickstarter for internal views? Seriously?

18. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I never said they were basing the story around it, I'm basically saying what business do radioactive crates have in a game about logging, seriously?

Between the STALKER and Metro franchises alone there have been 5 major titles themed around it though, as well as one of the most popular CoD titles (CoD 4) having two levels dedicated to it. At least there it made sense though.

Why would the crates even be radioactive vs just having tracking devices on them? Is there even any explanation for it? If not, I have to say it sounds contrived in an attempt to glom off STALKER and Metro. I get that it's likely just an exploration/scavenging thing with upgrade rewards, but why the radioactivity and Geiger counter to do it? LOL

19. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    How did you screen capture? I just get black with alt PS. I got stuck upside down

20. erocker

Thanks Received:
    fraps.

Jetster says thanks.
  21. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

22. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I'd invest in a Kickstarter that tries to recapture the essences of Hard Truck (Hard Truck, Hard Truck II, Hard Truck: Apocalypse--not stupid 18 Wheels of Steel tangent). Just driving off-road isn't very fun by itself.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    There was an off road game being developed a while back that involved driving 4x4s on very rugged terrain sorta like amateur trials. It had pretty good graphics too but I forgot the name of it. When I went to look for it again I couldn't find it. I'm not even sure they completed the project.

24. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:

The only recent off-road racing game i remember is Off-Road Drive http://store.steampowered.com/app/200230/?l=english

Frag Maniac says thanks.
  25. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Someone keeps cursing in Russian when I flick AWD on and off, also when I decide to lock the diff.

Good game, but hopefully the areas where the places are muddy and change will only change when you drive through them instead of morphing in patches when you drive towards them.