1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Splinter Cell: Conviction

Discussion in 'Games' started by EastCoasthandle, Feb 26, 2010.

1. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Game: Splinter Cell: Conviction
    DLC: none as of yet
    Release Date: April 28, 2010
    Engine: LEAD (heavily modified Unreal Engine 2.5)
    Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: Stealth Action
    Game Modes: Single-player, cooperative, multiplayer
    Video
    Plot: This game takes place 2 years after Double Agent. The premise of the game is to find out about the death of Sam Fisher's daughter. However, will discover another threat in the USA.
    PC Specs: Core 2 Duo CPU at 1.8 GHz or an Athlon X2 64 at 2.4 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM for XP or 2 GB RAM for Vista/Windows 7, a 256 MB GeForce 7800 or Radeon X1800 graphics card, 10 GB hard disk space, and a 1Mbps internet connection (I believe this is for UBi's online DRM)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    digibucc says thanks.
  2. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    Its a shame, another game I will be "missing out on", due to obnoxious DRM.

3. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    What is the DRM on it? I can handle some of them, but Securom made Double Agent unplayable on ANY Ati card. Was trying it on an X1800XT and it never got above 2 FPS.

4. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    Looks like this game is coming with online DRM. And graphically won't be better then console.

5. Dazzeerr

Dazzeerr New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll wait til it's released like all Tom Clancy games, you never know with them.

Anyone play Chaos Theory on PC? What was it like if so? I've been thinking about buying it.

6. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Not only the drm will stop me from buying this game.
    The bullshit price tag they put on the garbage DLC will make me not purchase it as well. 65 dollars US, what a joke.
    I'm tired of developers getting away with this rip off crap. Not buying anything with any DLc anymore and not buying anything with any intrusive DRM anymore. If I have to, I'll go back to console gaming.
    I'm sick of it.

7. HeroPrinny

HeroPrinny New Member

Thanks Received:
    stupid drm that requires an internet connection at all times. If i get it, it'll be via not so legit methods, as my net isn't the stabilist in the the world, mainly due to broken clips on ethernet cables ands cats.

8. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I wrote Ubi complaining. I normally keep my mouth shut, but after the mistake of buying Settlers 7 (with the same DRM) , i will not do it again. I will also not buy it on my consoles out of principal.

sucks as I love splinter cell, have bought every single one. but they are starting to go too far.
    I asked, literally, "i have a horrible internet connection, i kept getting kicked while trying to play settlers - what option do i have?"
    none. "we think this system will be beneficial to the majority of our users"
    well, what about the minority? without broadband/always on? I have to get a better isp to play a single player game? they don't care. their response explains it. the majority of users is enough money, so they don't care about the ones that can't play it.

I never thought I would not buy a game, especially one from a series I love, because of DRM. but it has happened. damn you Ubi.

9. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I have played all of the R6 games since the first one, (yes, I am that old)...R6Vegas and R6Vegas2 are amazing. I have always loved Splinter Cell and GRAW games. But the DRM has ruined me. I have convinced myself not to buy ANY Ubi game until they realize that I am a consumer, not a pirate, and do not deserve to be treated like one.

digibucc says thanks.
  10. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Ex-fukin-actly.
    Did I go to far with the language? lol..

11. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    IMO, when it comes to this Draconian DRM, nothing is to far...

12. dinjo_jo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unreal engine 2.0 so bad on visuals

13. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Then you better start fixing society and it's morals(probably a good idea to take over the internet while you're at it), because it's not the place of a business to have to curb it's methods in order to meet YOUR demands.

Besides, plenty of people will still buy it - specifically because it DOES have DRM that they cannot be bothered to wait around for some russian punks to crack.

Assassins Creed II dropped into pirates' laps before it even hit the shelves; if not for the extended waiting period on a working 'crack,' they actually made some more money than they would have from legitimate customers.

And ultimately, before you giveup on trying to untangle the knot in your panties, consider that you could buy the game, wait for a crack/emulation and then play that. You won't have DRM/disc/install limits, you won't have to be connected to the internet and any of the other excuses that we keep hearing.

14. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Actually yes, yes it is "EXACTLY" their place and it seems like more and more people are forgetting that. Sony got a grim reminder with the ps3 just what happens when you try to stick it to the consumer. WE drive the market. They stay in business because of us.
    Like freaking He-man, we have the power and it's high time people start to remember that shit.

And plenty of people won't, the more that won't the better. Takes a spine to stand up straight and anyone who has a spine knows right from wrong and will suffer a bit if need be to make a point.

Are you smoking something? give me some.. please..lol While your at it, please post your statistical proof of pirating making the seller more money, and send me an invitation when you get to dream land.

Like I said, people who know when enough is enough and have some balls will be willing to suffer if need be to make a point. It is a point that needs to be made sooner rather than later because it is ridiculously out of control. I don't need an excuse, I have a valid point. There's a big difference clearly you don't understand.

digibucc and JATownes say thanks.
  15. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    i find it funny really

R.U.S.E

Splinter Cell Conviction

Settlers 7

Assassins Creed II

Silent Hunter 5

now lets see..... Settlers 7 even now alot of people cant play it due to the DRM litterally 10s of Thousands of people cant play

Assassins Creed II crack um didnt work properly last i checked

so this DRM works but they found one that works so well i wont play any of the above games i looked forward to RUSE wont buy it now conviction looked promising now i just dont care settlers 7 i have settlers 2 enjoyable game thought about 7 but since most cant play its now garbage silent hunter 5 never been a big fan but i know a few who are and they cant play at all ie dial up internet. Im telling you this DRM is nothing more then a way to kill there PC market think about it if they no longer have to support PC gamers period that means no more need to invest in DRM / Q&A development time or porting etc etc they can just focus on consoles. Eitherway alot of games i want to play but i wont buy period

lets see... Bethesdas Fallout 3 if you turn off auto start and install the game manually it will NOT install securom Oblvion had a cd check whoop de do now those games sold ass loads of copies with minimal DRM showing they dont need this draconian bullshit to make money even stardock the creators of demi god etc dont really bother with DRM stating themselves it costs them MORE for the DRM then they lose to piracy

digibucc and JATownes say thanks.
  16. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    How is it beneficial to the users when only Ubisoft is benefiting by supposedly protecting thier software against pirates? As is the way with every other DRM, it can and will be cracked, thus it can and will be pirated.

digibucc says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  17. HeroPrinny

HeroPrinny New Member

Thanks Received:
    The thing is that I shouldn't have to do that with a game I own. A Consumer should not have to crack a game to remove the install limits/internet is required DRM scheme.
    on another note: I've boughten 3/4s of the games I've pirated, the others i just played once and then unistalled.

18. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I thought I as the consumer should dictate what is acceptable in a purchase or not? Isn't this what capitalism and free trade is all about?

It has been proven by all of the efforts of DRM that it DOES NOT STOP PIRACY. If anything by creating these more and more intrusive DRM systems, they are ENCOURAGING the "russian punks" to crack it to claim the bragging rights. (Oh and FYI, every Russian I have ever met was very nice and courteous, not the "punk" you describe.) Please show me one, just one, game that has not been "cracked".

Uhhhh...what? I am confused by your statement.

I refuse to buy a game, then d/l the crack. By doing so, I would be encouraging the piracy. It seems that you can't choose an arguement. If you are going to crack it, then aren't you supporting the individuals that are the cause of the DRM being required in the first place. I am a firm believer that piracy is illegal and is VERY BAD for the community of gamers that SUPPORT OUR FAVORITE DEVELOPERS FOR THEIR HARD WORK buy purchasing their game. But now to play that game, I must be online all the time? Even Steam allows me to play offline, and IMHO that is the greatest distribution system for games ever invented.

Basically it boils down to this:
    1.) I have a penis, and I love having sex with women, so I should be required to check in like a rapist because other people have committed a crime?
    2.) I like fast cars, and I like to drive fast, so I should be required to put a chip in my car to verify I won't speed, because others have committed a crime by breaking the speed limit?
    3.) I like to play games, and I have a fast rig that can push those games, so I should be required to check in with the manufacturer because others have committed a crime?

Does you agree with all of this? Maybe if I was convicted of something they should make me check in, but last time I checked, I HAVE NOT COMMITTED A CRIME SO WHY AM I BEING TREATED LIKE A CRIMINAL?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  19. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    damned drm i was going to get a game the other week and it had drm with limited times you could install it, so i just didn't bother, can't remember what game it was
    but it was only £9.99 or 15.19 U.S. dollars saw drm and thought neh save myself the bother
    it's a shame though with this game as i like splinter cell

i wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't for that limited times you can install melarkey
    if they took that crxx out i might just be tempted
    untill then it shall remain gathering dust in the shop for the next couple of years :D

20. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    I'm one of them. bought the game, can't play it, and they say oh well. "we think it will be beneficial to the majority of users" they are talking about the cloud service specifically, not the DRM. both are worthless. So no more Ubi for me... Once it is cheap and there is a crack, I will buy it for <$30 and crack it.... but with UBI it will stay $60 for 2 years probably ;)

21. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I can't stand the thought of DRM at this scale. It's deplorable. I won't be buying anything from Ubisoft, no matter the platform because of it.

22. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    i just beat this game on a multiplayer cr@cked version... and i thought the single player campaign was f'ing awesome. Great storyline and great ending.

Now time to play some drm free co-op with a bud :)

23. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    I've thought of buying this game but can't get myself to do it with this online DRM.

24. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    hope to get it next week, microsoft wireless receiver and the pad ready to go...

25. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Here's a nano review.

Completed it.
    Was quite good though rediculously short.
    Crashed ALL the time, kept saying my display driver crashed.
    Looks good.
    Runs like crap compared to better looking games.
    Was good fun.