1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Spraypainting 120mm fans? Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by miloshs, Sep 18, 2008.

1. miloshs

miloshs New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys...

Just need some advice on this...
    I want to pait my 120mm fans to go with my case, but i need em blades to be white and the rest red! Any ideas how i could take it apart? Is it actually possible to take apart a regular CM or Chieftec 120mm fan?

Any help is welcome...

Muchos danke thanks :rockout:
  2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You don't need to take it apart. Just tape off the parts you don't want painted.
  3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    well painting can throw off the balance of the blades, creating vibrations/wobbling.

If you can keep it light and even, you may be "OK".

what about inverting your color scheme and trying out some Noctua fans?
  4. NeoCrisis

NeoCrisis

Thanks Received:
    painting the fan blades wont make any significant unbalance to cause wobbling or vibrations.
    You would have to put like 20 layers of led paint on 1 blade to really make it unbalanced.
    The blades are thick enough and strong enough to handle a couple layers of enamel.

Pull the sticker off the back of the fan then take some tweezers and pull the plastic clamp that holds the axle of the propeller to the sleeve.

There was an episode on Mythbusters where they put a postage stamp on a real helicopter blade to see if it would throw it off. Even on a remote control heli it took the weight of 8,000 stamps to really throw it off
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
    miloshs says thanks.
  5. miloshs

miloshs New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cheers m8, just what i was asking for... defo will try it out today, and see how it goes (i mean dismantling... painting comes in a week or two) Its gonna be a kick-ass CM690... at least i hope so, will post the whole worklog when im done :pimp:

TNX