1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Spyware problems...

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Cobra427, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Cobra427 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok well i dunno how it happened...must have downloaded something attached to it or something...but i now have spyware called Ebates MoneyMaker. I read up on how to remove it but i have no idea where to find the things it told me to find...heh Anyway i'll post what I found and I hope someone can help me....an annoying popup keeps appearing (minimizing any fullscreen game I am playing)...sometimes theres like 15 of them...I used the programs AdAware (deletes the spyware but then it just reappears...) and Spybot Search and Destroy (found nothing as a popup appeared...a bit ironic..lol).

(this is what I must find...I have no idea where it is or how to get there...)
    Go To the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Delete the following if they are found:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\blubstersupport

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\ebatesmoemoneymaker

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\ebatesmoemoneymaker0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\upromiseremindu

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\websavingsfromebates

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thx guys/girls. :)
  2. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Go to start, then run. type regedit
    Then press F3, and type in the name of each of these-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\curr entversion\run\blubstersupport

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\curr entversion\run\ebatesmoemoneymaker

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\curr entversion\run\ebatesmoemoneymaker0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\curr entversion\run\upromiseremindu

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\curr entversion\run\websavingsfromebates

The last line of it like blubstersupport
    DONT DELETE RUN! thats not spyware.

Also you should get Microsoft Antispyware, its the current best antispyware-
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

You should also get spywareblaster and firefox, together they will prevent any spyware-
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/downloads.html
    www.mozilla.org

Firefox is very very important in preventing spyware
  3. Cobra427 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, well i had firefox, could not download the microsoft Anti-Spyware, downloaded Spywareblaster. And I looked in the regedit and didn't find any of those registrys...i dont understand why not because when I run Adaware it shows up as Ebates MoneyMaker as one of the things found.

Anyway, thanks for your help man...I appreciate it. :)
  4. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    definantly spybot search and destroy.
    that's what i use.

good, effective, reliable, regularly updated, open source and absolutly free.
  6. Cobra427 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool thanks guys...the popup has not shown up at all today (after search and destroy and all the rest of my anti-spyware programs were used..lol)...so I believe its gone. Thanks fellas for the help. :)
  7. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    In the first post it said you had already used spybot and adaware :confused:
    Anyways keep all the programs updated.
    Download microsoft antispyware in internet explorer.
  8. G.T

G.T New Member

Thanks Received:
    I concur with the Firefox/Adaware/Spybot front line of defence, but also a good AV/Firewall system is essential with that line up to detect incoming or potentially harmful additions to your rigs.

For Windows users, if you do manage to get something through that lot, make sure you turn off System Restore before zapping the pesky unwanted additions as sometimes stuff is hiding via that, so you delete the little buggers and then reboot and system restore has babysat them nice and safe for them to come back and slow your rig down or infest it all over again.

If the gooey stuff really hits the fan and you have some evil stuff toughing it out in your rig it may be worthy to get hijackthis and run it/post details of it on their forum where some super geek hero will come save the day and help you clean your system.