1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD as Boot and Raid as secondary

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Prophet, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Prophet New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've just bought a vertex 2 and have installed windows on it, but am having difficulties setting up a RAID0 with my 2 HDD's that i want to use as my backup/seconday drives. If i set my Sata config to raid it wont let me boot with my SSD. Any suggestions?
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What chipset are you using? You will most likely have to reinstall Windows on the SSD in AHCI mode or in RAID mods for the beginning.
  3. Prophet New Member

Thanks Received:
    maximus formula X38, if i set my sata config to raid it wont let me boot from my SSD and if i configure it to AHCI it wont let me raid my two HD's. If i had to reinstall how would i go about setting it up?
  4. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    you should set it to RAID, you may have to delay drive detection in your BIOS. I normally set it to zero, but had to change it to 5 seconds (even though there is no delay what so ever) otherwise it would randomly (1 in 3) fail to boot/detect the SSD

i have the same setup, single SSD as boot/windows drive. RAID-0 as game/backup.
  5. Prophet New Member

Thanks Received:
    I set it to RAID but i get BSOD when it gets to the windows load screen. how do you delay drive detection?
  6. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    was the OS installed on IDE mode on the SSD?
  8. Prophet New Member

Thanks Received:
    The OS was installed in IDE mode, and my time out is already at 35 seconds. I've been googling the BSOD problem and read through a couple other problems others are having but mine seems to be a little different.

Zero, did you have your RAID already configured when you installed your OS?
  9. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, your problem may be just that. You will need to set AHCI or RAID or just IDE BEFORE you intall the OS.

The same goes if you then decide to change the format ie move from RAID to IDE, you will need to reintall the OS.

Does this help with your issue?
  10. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^ but saying that, your OS is not on the RAID array is it, just the SSD..? I "assume" you will need to reinsatall the OS whenever you introduce a RAID array - but definatley will have to reintall when the OS is on the RAID array, and vice versa etc
  11. Prophet New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that was my problem, i instaled my os first then set it to raid, i think i'll just leave it the way it is set up now as i really have no need for my backup drive to be in a raid config seeing as it took me abour 5 hours to fully set up windows, but at least now when i next reformate i'll know what to do. Thank you for your help