1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD as Boot Drive? How?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chosen Juan, May 18, 2011.

1. Chosen Juan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey,

Well, I have new parts coming in tomorrow and the thing that I'm pretty clueless about is the SSD. I ordered a Crucial M4 64GB as a boot drive, and a Spinpoint F3 for a storage drive. How would I go about installing Windows 7 64-bit on the SSD, and have everything else on the Spinpoint F3 (Users, etc.)?

After googling, this is what I've found: http://www.overclock.net/ssd/664738-how-setup-ssd-boot-drive-secondary.html

Is that how you guys did it that wanted an SSD just as a boot drive? Or is there a simpler way?

Also, should I enable AHCI in the BIOS?

Thanks in advance!
  2. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Essentially everything that is part of Windows (Users etc.) has to be installed on the Boot Drive. You could store something like, all your programs on the Spinpoint by just making a Program Files-esque folder and whenever it asks for a directory to install to pointing the software there.
  3. Chosen Juan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well would it be fine if I installed Windows 7 just as I normally would but on the SSD, and whenever I install something else just manually select the mechanical/storage drive for it?

Or should I go through the complex route that I linked above which moves the whole Users folder to the mechanical drive, not on the SSD?
  4. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    its not complex, use windows to move the libraries to the mechanical drive for documents pictures music etc etc, when installing a program, just select (for example) d:\program instead of c:\program

[​IMG]
  5. Chosen Juan New Member

Thanks Received:
    So should I just install Windows like I normally do, but on the SSD instead?

Also, is there anything I have to change in the BIOS when using an SSD?

Thanks again
  6. gumpty

gumpty

Thanks Received:
    Yep, that's the simplest way.

In the BIOS, switch to AHCI if you want. It will let the drives be hot-swapable (not that you'll hot-swap out your boot drive), but it is nothing specifically required for a SSD - it effects SSDs and HDDs equally. (I think)
  7. freebie

freebie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Congratulations on your upgrade to an ssd for starters, you going to love it.

I do as everyone else says, i just installed windows straight onto it then save all my program files on my normal spindle drives, and when i save a file i just do save as.
  8. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    you can go quite extreme using tune up utillities 2011 for eg and move all user specific files to your spindle drive so that all write intensive stuff is done on spindle not ssd inc downloads saves temp folders logs,all write a lot but dont req any speed normally and deffinately move your system cache to the hd

as said switch to AHCI as it offers better performance and config options then IDE but you might need an F6 SATA AHCI install driver(used at win install) for your mobo i did, i also needed a driver on usb for my ssd, might be worth grabbing before you wipe as it could end in tears
  9. Chosen Juan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I have Windows installed on the SSD, along with the drivers and browser. Now, I'm trying to install other stuff (Steam, games, etc.), but the mechanical drive isn't showing. I'm sure I missed a step?
  10. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    You need to go into Computer Management to setup the partition(s) on the mechanical drive.

Congrats on the SSD :)
  11. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    this is the simplest way my friend and would work the best, anything else will get too complex :)
  12. Chosen Juan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright thanks guys! It's formatting the mechanical drive right now. The only things on the SSD are windows 7, drivers for pretty much everything (mouse, kb, video card, mobo), and basic stuff like anti virus and firefox. Everything else (games and stuff) I'll put on the mechanical drive.

Thanks for the help again
  13. txsouthpaw

txsouthpaw New Member

Thanks Received:
    Some other things you can do that helped my similar install:

1) disable system protection (this will disable the restore function, thus freeing up space on the SSD. I do a secure erase + fresh install every 8 weeks anyways, but your needs might vary).
    2) Disable Virtual Memory (this will free up a lot of space, however I would only do it if you have 8gb+ of RAM)
    3) Disable Internet Explorer 8 (do this if you only if you don't use IE.)
    4) Verify that hibernation is disabled (it's pointless to hibernate using an SSD and this feature takes up a good deal of space.)
    5) As others have stated, move your music, docs, videos, etc.. to your mechanical drive (these are files that are less speed sensitive and are more often written to. This saves space and SSD lifespan).

These are a few things that I do on my own system, however, you may have differing needs. After I did these things, I found that I have more space on the SSD for games and what not.