1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD cleaning question .

Discussion in 'Storage' started by trickson, Jul 31, 2010.

1. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    I am new to SSD so forgive me if this sounds silly or dumb . I have heard not to defrag so I am clear on that but what about cleaning and deleting games and putting in new ones all the time ? what does this do ?
  2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    The damage is done when you wright to the SSD.

Use command Prompt
    fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If the result is '0' TRIM is enabled

I'm on Vista which means i do not have trim funny though had 0 slow downs or any issue in fact ( but think it's handled by Intels drivers ).
    trickson says thanks.
  3. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Ok so once you install a game then that is when you do the damage ? As you are writing to the SSD . Right ?

OH man this is hard to understand ..
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    trickson says thanks.
  5. trickson

Thanks Received:
    But from what I also understand these "drives" are supposed to last longer than a standard HDD if this is true then installing and uninstalling shouldn't really be a big deal any way . and also this drive has TRIM and Intel recommends you run it once a week . so this should help with all that installing and uninstalling as the TRIM should clear out the blocks with FF not 0 adding to the life of the drive . Am I right on this ? I am really new to this and as it is really fast and I love it I want the most out of it as well . I will be adding a second one soon so I hope to see even faster times ahead ! Any thing you can tell me helps and I really thank you all for your insight and help .
  6. ERazer

ERazer New Member

Thanks Received:
    i believe they dont last longer than hdd but longer than 1st generation sdd, i stand to be corrected :p, as mentioned above trim help manage to use all cell equally which makes the sdd last longer
    1st generation ssd dont have that it uses 1st cell it can access or randomly whick degrade the cell uneven
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  7. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    apparently SSD's are supposed to last longer than a person will live, or so the article about the different flash cells stated. I have been seriously thinking about getting an SSD BUT, once you install something to it you wear it down?? I reinstall my OS like once every 3 months would this have any negative impacts??
  8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    True. No need to defrag also, no need to do anything really.

I thought TRIM was either off or on. No need to run anything.

How are you using the SSD? For the O/S only?
  9. ERazer

ERazer New Member

Thanks Received:
    u wear the sdd by writting and rewrites
  10. trickson

Thanks Received:
    OS I have installed ccleaner as well as registry mechanic and windows7 manager .
    I have 2 games on it so far . My goal is to get rid of the HDD use all together . I mean if I can successfully use these drive and even if they only last say 4-5 years that is more than enough time for me , after 3-4 years I am always buying a new video card . So if I only get 4 years of use from them I am cool with that but I think you should be able to get way more than that .
    This is still very new to me and I really do like it and with the 3 year warranty I think if any thing goes wrong they should fix it .

Well the TRIM is there at least and from what I gather using the TRIM is how the SSD prolongs and saves the drive from going bad . once it writes a file it is there you uninstall it the OS ( like always ) doesn't delete the files it just shows them as free space the TRIM is for this very issue . TRIM Fixes it by telling the SSD drive that the space is free to use once again emptying the entire mem block and using ff instead of 0's . At least this is what I gather about it all . I am still very new and very confused at this new tech . But one thing is for sure , IT IS FAST !!!

Erocker Here is the program that I got from Intels site the " Tool Box " this is a screen shot . It tells about the TRIM .

Attached Files:

• 241.jpg
      241.jpg
      File size:
      89.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010