1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD / HDD Setup

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by speedpc, Jul 18, 2013.

1. speedpc

speedpc

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys got a few questions here, Wondering if I could get your advice :)
    A friend of mine dropped off his computer today he wants a fresh install of Windows 7
    Parts: Samsung 830 SSD
    WD Black 1TB
    This is what he wants me to do, He wants Windows 7 and Office installed on the SSD Drive (easy) So for this step I will NOT even hookup the WD Drive yet, After Windows installs and I install all the drivers and Office on the SSD. Then I will hookup the WD 1TB HDD once in windows I will format it in Computer Management (easy) Now his question was how will things be installed on the WD 1TB Drive meaning his pics, docs, music and games and software ???? Will he have to change the path to that WD Drive everytime he installs something ???? and is there a way to make the default path for all his pics,docs and music to go to the WD Drive automatically ????
    Sorry if this is confusing but just ask and maybe I can clarify it better :) Looking for the easiest way possible :) Thx :respect:

2. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    It's pretty simple to redirect the default folder location of Pics, Docs, Music, etc.
    MS has a support page for it here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/redirect-a-folder-to-a-new-location

I went one step further with my SSD/HDD setup and made a 30GB partition just for the OS on the SSD. Then I install any programs that can be given an alternative path to the secondary partition, as well as the page file. 35GB might be a bit more appropriate for updates well into the future and/or in case he forgets to put some progs on the secondary partition, but so far 30GB has been plenty space for me. You can change the default install path as well, but I wouldn't recommend that as he'll probably want to install some things on the SSD, and some on the HDD, so it's better to do it piecemeal.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
    speedpc says thanks.
  3. speedpc

speedpc

Thanks Received:
    I read that article + I found a good you tube video with a lot of simple tips, His main question was will he have to manually change the path to the WD HDD if he installs a game like BF3, in a nutshell probably C:\ etc etc < change the C:\ to example K:\ etc etc. Docs, Pics, Music will be very easy !!!!

4. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i just cut and paste the desktop and my documents folders. windows automagically moves the linked files.

6. Boozad

Boozad

Thanks Received:
    Personally I'd say it's the easiest way to do it, I've done exactly the same on my rig. OS, Office etc on the SSD, Steam, Origin and games on a 2TB WD Black, storage of files on a 2TB WD Green. It takes literally a few seconds to tell Steam to install on the D: drive (or whichever letter is assigned) then games should automatically install to the Steam folder on that drive. Origin was a bit shady by installing games to the C: drive still, but that's easily changeable.