• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD - Is it worth keeping my Steam folder on it?

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Or would that be overkill?

It's not that I'm that critically out of space, on my desktop apart from a 1TB NAS I've got

I run almost everything from the e-sata Seagate, nearly all programs, Firefox etc... even benchmarking programs like Furmark and Unigine.

On the SSD I have Win 7, drivers, Steam, and a couple of other games.

I know of the procedure on how to transfer the Steam folder to another location, that isn't the problem.

But would you think there are advantages outweighing the disadvantages if I move all games off the SSD?

True with only 42GB available the SSD space is close to running out... But then I'd be ok with removing a couple of games to add a couple more :)...

To be honest, I don't think I saw any (visible) performance increase from playing my games off the Seagate to now that I'm playing them off the SSD. (Originally the Seagate had been my main internal drive with OS and everything on it. After I bought the SSD I also bought an enclosure, formatted the Seagate and connected it e-sata).
The only game which sees improvement, only in loading times, is the one my kid plays on my pc i.e. The Sims 3 --- the loading times of that game makes one cry but on an SSD they're somewhat more acceptable. So I also keep that on the SSD using up ~ 11GB of it :ohwell:

Will the game data re-writing on the SSD wear it out much quicker?

Does gaming on a SSD give better fps
(I didn't check out before & after myself)?

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
Or would that be overkill?

It's not that I'm that critically out of space, on my desktop apart from a 1TB NAS I've got
http://img.techpowerup.org/110413/Untitled777.png

I run almost everything from the e-sata Seagate, nearly all programs, Firefox etc... even benchmarking programs like Furmark and Unigine.

On the SSD I have Win 7, drivers, Steam, and a couple of other games.

I know of the procedure on how to transfer the Steam folder to another location, that isn't the problem.

But would you think there are advantages outweighing the disadvantages if I move all games off the SSD?

True with only 42GB available the SSD space is close to running out... But then I'd be ok with removing a couple of games to add a couple more :)...

To be honest, I don't think I saw any (visible) performance increase from playing my games off the Seagate to now that I'm playing them off the SSD. (Originally the Seagate had been my main internal drive with OS and everything on it. After I bought the SSD I also bought an enclosure, formatted the Seagate and connected it e-sata).
The only game which sees improvement, only in loading times, is the one my kid plays on my pc i.e. The Sims 3 --- the loading times of that game makes one cry but on an SSD they're somewhat more acceptable. So I also keep that on the SSD using up ~ 11GB of it :ohwell:

Will the game data re-writing on the SSD wear it out much quicker?

Does gaming on a SSD give better fps
(I didn't check out before & after myself)?

FPS, i doubt it unless the game is running out of Ram/VRam.

best option would be to have either backups of games you dont play on the seagate and games you do play on the SSD.... or have steam installed in two locations. one for games that take a long time to load (put them on the SSD), the other for the rest of the games....

i VERY MUCH DOUBT it will wear out the SSD at all really...... how often do games even write to the hard drive? once every 5 mins to save your game? your OS will wear out the drive 1000s of times faster then a game.

TechnikL

Steam on SSD

Hey BlackPanther, nice logo I use that same one!

I used to have my steam folder on my 120GB OCZ Vertex 2, games definately load faster but other than that there was no advantage in FPS.

I ended up moving it back to my RAID 0, just cause I was getting low on space on the SSD.

I wouldn't worry about SSD usage too much, even if you are a heavy user you should get several years out of it.

If only I could afford a 1TB SSD:)

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
If ya not noticing any difference put them on your HDD as it will allow you to store more on it with out the need of deleting or moving them off the SSD.

With games and SSD's it's all about loading times and i load all my games of SSD as it's just faster although more with some than other like COH when ya loading those bigger maps.

And if i run out of space i just move the games to another drive and move them back when needed.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
true that

and i would say that in some games on v high settings when a systems being pushed on a select few scene loading games you may avoid stutters between game sections i did notice this much on crysis 2, on raid 0 i got slight stutter between some sections on ssd its gone

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
BP, I would not use your SSD for steam games for many reasons. They are:

• Continued download and rewrite of maps and scripts. This happens many many times over the course of any game Valve has made. This will wear out the SSD faster.
  • Loads of junk is stored in the Steam folder. I don't even have that many games and I have around 50gb of files, just because Valve updates TF2 each weekend and leaves behind old content.
  • You won't be gaining a ton of performance, it really relies more on ram. Can you wait an extra 1 second for the game to load? I think so.
  • You won't gain any FPS that will give you a noticeable increase.

In short, I think you won't gain enough benefits to sacrifice the lifespan of your SSD. As you said, it is overkill.

Last edited: