1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD issue "Not supported"

Discussion in 'Storage' started by D007, Sep 13, 2012.

1. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I reinstalled my os with AHCI enabled everywhere in bios "1st".
    When I boot up I keep getting an extremely fast message about the "mode not supported".
    I think bios might cause that problem.. Using the system in my specs.. Got my mobo a year or so ago..

Also I have noticed recently that my ssd seems like maybe it's going into hibernate?
    Idk. Seems like when it idles a little bit and I go to click on something, I get a pause. Then I hear a rather obvious clicking noise "The SSD starting back up?"
    Sounds exactly like my external 1 tb HD that's not hooked up, when I plug it in and it starts up.

Maybe, I was thinking, it was my other 1 tb hd that stays connected, starting back up. But why would that cause a delay in the programs response? The programs is installed on the SSD, not the 1TB..
    Maybe it's a power saving option.. idk.. Any idea what bios version I should be using?
    Ideas on what might cause that?
    Thank yas..
    :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  2. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    No mechanical parts in an SSD so they physically cannot click. As for the AHCI issue you did install the driver for it correct?
  3. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Hmm.. I kind of thought it automatically installed when I started the system. I saw drivers installing.. I need to download a specific driver or something?

I see a big "Well there's your problem" moment coming up...lol
    I did not install the marvel sata drivers or anything marvel though. I heard bad things..

EDIT: Posted pic of actual error..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  4. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^^ No, well I certainly did not have to install specific drivers in my case, when I first connected up mine, I simply went to the Bios and changed setting to AHCI, rebooted and on entry into Windows it auto installed the correct Windows driver, then asked for a reboot.
  5. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Lol..Wherever I can manage to "not" find a problem. I apparently create one.. :laugh:
    Never seen that error before though aye?
  6. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    I have the same MB and have used a Vertex 4 in it with no problem and a Vertex 3, Vertex 2, Sandisk extreme, patriot, and a Samsung.
    It looks like your bios is up to date (version FH, as that is the one that updated the Intel Raid ROM)

That message is letting you know it found no devices plugged in any of the six (blue) ports; and so, it did not load the AHCI bios.
    The Motherboard's bios routine will load the firmware for the Intel ROM, if it finds a device to use it, then when windows loads it has to load the drivers so the devices can be controlled (communicated with).

Check your power to the SSD and try another SATA cable.

Now, I will relay what happened to my system the other day (MS's update Tuesday ,but happened on Wednesday when I installed the updates).

Everything was fine. Windows said I had updates and would need to restart to install.
    So, I restarted... bam... nothing...
    Restarted, again, notice SSD was missing in the device list of the bios.
    Turned off power, totally. Turned back on and booted... SSD is back.
    Still no Windows and no OS not found message (just a flashing cursor).
    Ended up had to boot to the Windows DVD, open recovery console, and do a system recovery.
    Recovery stated nothing wrong, but somehow it was fixed on the reboot.
    Windows showed no updates in the update list.
    I manually updated and all is well now.

Just my experience this week, may or may not be the same as your situation.:ohwell:
  7. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Eesh.. So what I'm thinking is.. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".. Sound about right? lol.. Thanks for the info. :)
    Power to the SSD is fine.. Boots up and runs fine..
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012