1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD just for steam?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Eric_Cartman, Aug 31, 2013.

1. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    I have a 120Gb Corsair Force GT just for games. Sometimes I wish I bought at least a 256Gb. But the 120Gb was on sell. Largest game I have is Battlefield 3, 35Gb. But on avg most games I have are ~20gb. But as for steam and orgin, I just install the games directly to my SSD. (It does give a option to install to different drives)

2. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    32GB would hold like 2 games. so... no. i think atleast a 256GB one is reqd.

3. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My steam folder is 1.6TB so it would cost me far too much to put my games on an SSD. Not to mention the fact that if you're playing multiplayer games, it doesnt matter if you load faster than everyone else, because you're going to be waiting for them to load anyway! Very few single player games truly benefit from being on an SSD unless you have a shit load of data to run from the drive (Like Shogun 2) aside from that, I find SSD'ing games entirely pointless for the sake of saving 2 or 3 seconds load time.

de.das.dude says thanks.
  4. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I see some people for the ideal of using a ssd for the steam folder and others against it. How about a compromise like using a sshd for steam.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    +1. only games like simulation based games really could use an ssd. i dont think there are any games that have loading times >30secs on a mordern comp.

6. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    I thought about this option. But for me, most of the time I only have ~5 games installed at a time. Even when I was using my bigger HD.

7. mDee

mDee

Thanks Received:
    I think so too. The only game I actually have installed on my 60GB SSD is a flight sim; all my other steam games are on a regular HDD (and a slow laptop drive at that) and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Like the OP I've thought about buying an SSD for games, something cheap like a Samsung 840 or even a 2nd hand SATAII drive, but I don't think it's worth spending money on.

Might as well go for a 20GB ram drive if you're really that fussed about loading times, though that'll only work for a single game that you play often.

8. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    BF3 take forever without an SSD

9. MightyMission

MightyMission

Thanks Received:
    Scan are doing refurbed 512gb ocz ssd for £130ish..seems a good time to pick up a couple for steam/games

10. mDee

mDee

Thanks Received:
    Wouldn't a non-Sandforce drive be a better choice as a game-SSD because of the generally smallish reads and writes once games are installed? Just wondering...

11. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    BF3 is the only game I have on my SSD.

12. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    steam allows you to install on multiple steam drives in beta mode, i just put the games i play a lot on a samy non pro250(120uknotes) and the rest on hdd

More than 25k PPD
  13. MightyMission

MightyMission

Thanks Received:
    I couldn't tell you to be honest, you may have a point but I wouldn't know if it made any difference once the game is loaded into RAM?
    Plus I like a very quiet computer and the noise of hd's spooling up or seeking is something i'd come to forget hearing but don't want to hear anymore.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  14. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    This is the method I use for Steam:

240GSSD as boot drive
    2T HD for data.

Steam is installed on the SSD
    Steam games are installed on the HD as default.
    I install one steam game on SSD so the steam folder structure exist on the SSD

Then to move any game to SSD:
    1. copy HD game folder to your steam games folder on SSD
    2. uninstall the game in steam (right click on game and choose: delete local content)
    3. Install same game on SSD (where you've already copied the files) Steam will verify the existing files are present and update their settings for the new location.

15. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    Well, I have a 512gb Samsung 830 ssd + 1tb wd hdd 7200rpm, I installed steam+ skyrim legendary on ssd(because I play often) and on hdd I installed the rest of steam games(I play them once in a week), the C partition(windows 7 64b sp1+steam+skyrim legendary+photoshop and the rest of software) have 100gb with 50gb free; I think the best it is to have a ssd with good write speed for uncompressible data...