1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD nowhere to be found, HELP

Discussion in 'Storage' started by MrThomsen25, Jan 15, 2013.

1. MrThomsen25 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That seems crazy :p

Then i would need to ask my friend to remove all of his harddrives, install win7 on my ssd, startup and run the Intel SSD Firmware.. That i cant do before tomorrow... And it just seems untrue that such a process is needed! How would any normal person purchasing a SSD ever manage this.. just crazy
  2. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    because most people that install SSD's don't install them into OEM Machines

and he should't need to remove anything or install anything all he needs todo is put the drive in and run the firmware updater
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    you havent read the full thread have you? He has already tried booted to the SSD and its not working as the BIOS is not detecting it. And when he tries to boot to another drive then run the updater, it tries to update the drive he booted too, and now the SSD.
  4. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Has the motherboard bios been updated? I am not sure, most people are talking about the SSD bios which doesn't make as much sense. Maybe I missed something.
  5. MrThomsen25 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Exactly, would be magic if the software could update the sdd, when absolutely nothing else can find it!

I guess my only option at this point is to seek my friends help again.

Is there any other thing i could try in the meanwhile, i mean im willing to try even the smallest chances!..
  6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Hes updated the mobo bios. We are trying to get him to update the firmware on the SSD now. I still think he should do a proper reset of the CMOS but thats just me.
  7. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking that too, but not sure if theres a BIOS update for his systems board.
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    He already updated it. Thats in the OP.
  9. MrThomsen25 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The PC was with an BIOS from 2010, i downloaded the latest BIOS update from HP drivers according to my product, and then i saved the .bin file on USB and used the Flash ROM from bios to update it! Its now a bios version from late 2011 if i remember correctly!

I was on the HP forums, and someone had luck with installing older BIOS versions... so strange! :/
  10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah sounds like a bios issue to me.......reset CMOS.
  11. MrThomsen25 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im more than willing to do this and as you state:

Normally there is a jumper you have to move over AND disconnect the battery. Then reset the jumper and reinstall the battery. This will do a proper CMOS reset.

Do this once you only have the SSD hooked up. Nothing else.

Im not sure i understand the Jumper part ? Im with you on the hooked up SSD and the battery removal.. I dont want to damage my hardware, better ask once to many instead :ohwell:

EDIT: Could you maybe use natr0ns MOBO image to explain ?
  12. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Reading through the thread, I'm going to +1 this. That BIOS battery needs to come out now. Upgrading the SSD's firmware is going to be a pretty big priority too. Something's obviously incompatible.

Also, TheMailMan, you said jumper and battery? Does that have much effect over just battery?
    I've heard of systems that you're apparently supposed to set the jumper, power up, power down, set the jumper back, but never ones that ask for both.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Pulling the battery and tripping the jumper drains any energy left in the caps and such. Most Asus ROG boards have this and higher end mobos as things tend to go corrupt at lower levels when you OC.

You have to download the manual for YOUR mobo and read up on reseting the CMOS properly.
  14. MrThomsen25 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay!

Sitting with the MOBO Battery in my hand right now! I pulled it out while the power cable was also pulled out.. Correct right ?

i Will put it in again, and boot up with ONLY SSD connected to sata0
  15. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    I did read the thread you need to reread my post and pay attention to the quote's context he needs to put the drive in the OTHER(friends) machine and flash it from there
    my post was inreply to his post about his friend needing to remove all his drives and install windows 7 onto to the drive in question this is completely false the update app will select the correct drive and to do the update so long as it can post and see it
    :banghead:
    Hp's especially the older ones are Notorious for incompatibility issues with pretty much anything that doesn't have a HP sticker on it ...
  16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you put the battery back in before you boot back up.

Also MrThomsen25 I wont tell you to do ANYTHING that can damage your hardware. If you stick around TPU you will see Im a little nuts for saftey.
  17. MrThomsen25 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Update:

After the CMOS reset i started up and hit f10 for BIOS.. Still NO TRACE of the SSD..

If i dont hit f10 it starts initializing and end up with:

Media test error: Check cable

Just had my hopes high :(

And guys, i REALLY appreciate your help! You are all amazing! Super fast! and super competent!
  18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Is this a new error?
  19. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    thats normal because you disconnected all the drives
    you need to put the drive in your friends machine and run the update you should not need todo anythaing else but this nor should your friend need to remove any hardware nor install anything onto the ssd just install it boot it up and run the updater it should detect and apply the firmware-update
    reboot > shutdown then reinstall it in the other machine
    *and unless the patch notes for the firmware update is missing something it doesn't look like thats gonna correct the issue either
    I am betting that the issue is that board doesn't have Sata 6GB/s support and the drive for one reason or another is failing to fall back to SATA3 could be a faulty cable or maby the controller simply doesn't support 6GB/s(unlikely)
  20. MrThomsen25 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My friend has his OS installed on the exact same SSD only the 120 GB version.. So are you sure i can just plug it in and run the driver in the OS ?

Because how can i know which to update, im not keen on doing anything bad to his SSD.

And thank you for your help
  21. MrThomsen25 New Member

Thanks Received:

Ive seen it previously while doing the 11. steps in OP.. But that was all i had, so i figured why not post it ;p
  22. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    if you have two of the exact same model SSD's then the updater *should* ask you what drive to flash unless something goes horribly horribly wrong during the update it should't harm anything
    if you are really paranoid ed send the drive back for a refund tho I highly doubt that a firmware update is gonna fix the issue
  23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Who makes the SSD man. I ask becuase most mfg. make a ISO you can boot from and update the firmware from it. This will be good so you dont have to run anything in his OS.

Just make sure you disconnect all his drives before you do this. Its quick and this will avoid you installing anything on his rig.
    OneMoar says thanks.
  24. MrThomsen25 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not Exact same.. his 120GB and mine 240Gb, otherwise same..
  25. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    then I don't see a problem the updater *should* be smart enough to select the right drive