1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD or PCIe SSD

Discussion in 'Storage' started by petedread, Oct 21, 2013.

1. petedread

petedread

Thanks Received:
    Samsung 250GB SSD 840 EVO SATA 6Gb/s Basic - (MZ-7TE250BW)
    or
    Asus RAIDR Express 240GB SSD (PCI Express 2.0 x2).

Samsung=£139 ($224.50)
    Asus=£319 ($515.22)

The advertised performance of the Asus looks fantastic but are they as good as the advertising suggests or are there any negatives to this type of SSD. And which is the best Samsung, the Evo or the Pro?

2. CD2 Solutions New Member

Thanks Received:
    in terms of performance, the pci-e drive will outpace the sata drive in every way.

price on the other hand.......
    also, compatibility may be an issue.

3. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    That raider card is just two normal sata controllers on a card bound to a PCI-E port by a bridge chip. The sequential performance will definitely better, and also some other use cases aswell. However, the fact that they use this setup also means everything has increased latency, and some specific use cases will also perform less than a "normal" sata SSD.

4. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    i have a bad try with PCI-e ssd, i was have revodrive 3 and i spend a lot off time to know how to install windows on it, also it's have BSOD problem after 10 days.
    i will say stick with SSD, the samsung EVO 1TB priced at $600 vs 240G.
    it not be a big different, or maybe u care about 0.02m sec in windows boot time.

5. petedread

petedread

Thanks Received:
    Those Samsung drives are getting cheaper. 1T is nice but too expansive. There are some good prices on SSD at the moment, like Samsung 250g or 500g. Thanks for reply's anyway, from your experiences it looks like there still mite be some drawbacks to this type of drive. Think I'll stick with SSD.

6. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    RAID the 840 EVO, you will get crazy performance and forget about the Asus PCIe SSD.

SaiZo and Jack1n say thanks.
  7. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    +1 Get 2x 840 EVO's and raid em up.

8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Have you two ever run RAID-0 SSDs? If you have, I find it hard to believe that you would recommend it.

Having run RAID-0 with SSDs, I can tell you that the only thing that you're going to get is bandwidth. It does absolutely nothing for your random-reads and writes and in fact will perform more poorly with a lot of randoms.

My recommendation is to get a single SSD in the size that you need unless you really need the extra bandwidth. You won't notice your machine load anything any faster between 500MB/s and 1GB/s unless your copying huge files. Trust me.

Edit: I should also add that if you optimize for random performance, you'll shoot yourself in the foot with how much bandwidth you'll get. You'll see the difference between 4k blocks and 128k blocks for stripe size.

9. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    i also have 2 x 256g crusial M4 in raid 0, working like a charm

10. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup, random reads and writes will suffer, but for that extra tiny bit faster loading time, I think its worth a tradeoff. Yes, I have ran RAID-0 with 2 SSDs (testing out Agility 2's long time ago off my friend's rig). Not sure how the Samsung 840 EVO perform with RAID though.