1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD or VelociRaptors?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by stefanels, Nov 20, 2011.

1. stefanels

stefanels

Thanks Received:
    Transylvania (RO) working in Barcelona (ES)
    Hi all. I need an upgrade for my OS and i not sure what to buy... I want to buy a SSD (96 or 128 GB) but after reading many reviews from Newegg i'm not sure about this... But, i have another choice... a friend of mine has 2x WD VelociRaptor's (WD WD1600HLFS 160GB) in RAID and he's selling them for a very low price (like 130 USD both) and i was thinking to buy it...

What do you think that i should do ? :toast:

2. Shihabyooo

Shihabyooo

Thanks Received:
    An SSD would smother even the Velociraptor in any benchmark. Only drawback is the price per GB. Though I don't think anyone would buy an SSD for storage anyway.
    I vote for the SSD.
    What's wrong with the reviews ?

stefanels says thanks.
  3. linoliveira

linoliveira

Thanks Received:
    no way in getting 2x HDD (even Raptors) over an SSD for the OS!

and... with more 19$ you can get an OCZ Agility 3 120G at Newegg with rebate.

TPU has an article on the Agility 3, and you can compare it over the VelociRaptor, and you will see a huge performance difference.

stefanels says thanks.
  4. Feänor

Feänor New Member

Thanks Received:
    The ssd will blow any raid 0 (up to even 4 drives) array out of the water. Period. Just choose the os ssd with $/gb in mind, then see what storage option you need. I have a vortex 2 and it just blew me how much faster it is than my previous raid 0 set-up (4 velocirator 74 gb). I'll NEVER go back to hard drives for the os drive!

stefanels says thanks.
  5. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    So i'm a little behind in storage devices and my brother showed me hybrid drives. How do they fit in this mix?

6. linoliveira

linoliveira

Thanks Received:
    Hybrid drives use a small SSD for caching the files you use most, and an HDD for storage. For example: 16GB SDD + 750GB HDD in the same drive.
    Imagine you boot for the fist time into windows. It will be slow as an HDD, but the second time you boot into windows, it will be much faster due to the SSD cache. But remember... 16GB can't store everything, so you will not experience the 24/7 super fast speed of an SSD using a hybrid drive.

Conclusion: Get an SSD! :D

7. stefanels

stefanels

Thanks Received:
    That TPU review helped me much to see the difference...
    So my other question now it's, what model/manufacturer to buy:
    1. OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC
    2. Intel X25-M SSDSA2MJ080G201 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC
    3. Kingston SSDNow V100 SV100S2N/128GZ 2.5" 128GB SATA II

These 3 models i can buy from a local store...

8. Feänor

Feänor New Member

Thanks Received:
    You've got only sata2 ports, so keep that in mind when shopping, unless you intend to upgrade your platform to sata3 in the near future. If not, then sata3 ssd performance will be wasted because of the sata2 ceiling. This gets the solid 3 out.

Between the other two, i,d go for the intel, because iirc it is faster than the kingston. You would have to read some reviews to declare a winner. Google is your friend!

stefanels says thanks.
  9. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Reliability. I don't blame them. My SSD often refuses to start. The system starts up with "No boot device, umad bro?" errors. Then I have to power off the system and cold-start it again till the HDD activity LED blinks during POST and the system boots up normally. Sometimes the system freezes over with the HDD activity LED on bright for a few minutes, then the system resumes. Going through countless support forums only taught me that these are things you have to live with if you have an SSD.

Shihabyooo and stefanels say thanks.
  10. N-Gen

N-Gen

Thanks Received:
    Happened to me quite a few times in the last few weeks, seemed to have quit doing it now though.

11. linoliveira

linoliveira

Thanks Received:
    What is the pricing of the OCZ Solid 3 120GB and Intel X25-M 80GB at the local store?

12. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    raptors in raid are fast compared to a normal 7200 drive but its very noisy and still cant come close to ssd performance.

13. stefanels

stefanels

Thanks Received:
    Both is priced the same... like 190-200 Euros

14. Neuromancer

Neuromancer

Thanks Received:
    Nope not at all. The biggest improvement is small file writes, and a SATA 6Gbps hooked up to a SATA2 port will be held to the 285/275 max read write limitation, however, you will hit that much earlier, which is where it is most important.

DEFINTELY get a sata 6G drive even if you are only running SATA2 at the minute.

Second reason is, when you do upgrade to a SATA 6Gbps board you will experience the full speed capability on large file transfers :)

EDIT: Vertex2 was the first SSD that had me dump my vraps in RAID0 to move to SSD. Before sata2 had sandforce it was NOT worth it.

@btarunr, yeah I would not go with a V100 either. They are super cheap though, so it gets you the feel you just have to deal with the chaff. The sandforce issues have been resolved on SATA 6G although I never experienced them myself I have only had 6 SATA 6G drives. (1 of them I knew before it got to my door it had to be RMAed (corsair Force 120GB) for precisely that reason you mentioned) I did have dissappearing SSD with indilinx drives both reactor and nova series. All in all only corsair products have steered me wrong... Ironic that all I read about are OCZ issues, guess being the largest SSD company out there they will get the most bad press)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  15. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    If you go with an SSD, stay way from OCZ. They cant make a reliable SSD to save their ass. Get a Corsair or maybe a Patriot. Any SSD would probably be better than an OCZ. I hear nothing and read nothing but bad reviews about them.

16. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    I have 3 x 150gb raptors in raid 0 and a vertex 2 on my other pc and there is still a noticable difference in speed between the 2. The SSD machine only has a dual core processor in it and it still boots to windows a good 15seconds quicker than the raid 0 in my gaming machine.

17. linoliveira

linoliveira

Thanks Received:
    That is damn expensive! :eek:

I would suggest the Solid 3 because the X25 can't hit the wall of SATA 2 in write speeds, and they cost the same.

And as Neuromancer said, if you upgrade to a SATA 3 board, you got the full speed! :)

PS: I hate USA so much... because of their low prices!

18. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Lol. Low prices? a 1TB WD black HDD is $209! I woudlnt call that a low price.

19. stefanels

stefanels

Thanks Received:
    In Romania a WD 1Tb Black is 220 USD... A little more than in the US...

20. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    The closest thing I could say to even recommending a VR over a SSD is if your looking for a good/fast drive for your temp/temp internet directory for a SSD. VR doesn't come close to 1/2 the performance of a SSD.

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Factor in shipping for the US and its only a $4 USD difference.

22. John Doe Guest

Personally, I'd shoot for the pair of VRap's. Read/write wise, they'd be up there with an SSD of same price. The SSD offers near instant access times, but it nowhere is as reliable as a VRap. The VRap is a 2.5 inch HDD under a 3.5 cooling enclousure. It not only is faster than a regular HDD, but also has a lower profile. SSD's (cheap MLC) are bound to firmware issues -- to die out of nowhere. And when it does, there's no way to recover info from logical media. VRap's offer superior redundancy over an SSD.

23. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    If you are spending money why not just end it all and get an SSD. They run MUCH MUCH cooler than vraps, NO noise at all as there are no moving parts, Instant acess time, which make them feel MUCH quicker than any number of mechanical drives in raid regardless of speed and have a good reliability......

As far as i've heard only a few of them have had firmware issues, OCZ are Excellent with their firmware releases and have a superb warranty service!

Im actually getting a Vertex 2E myself :)

these are excellent choices:
    1. OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC
    2. Intel X25-M SSDSA2MJ080G201 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC

but I personally would have the OCZ as i know they have a good warranty

24. John Doe Guest

SSD's don't have good reliability at all... you don't have to worry about a HDD's condition. Other hand, you have to do the SSD tweaks (if not already done) and make sure you don't constantly write on the SSD (take down it's cycles).

I ditched mine for a VRap and haven't looked back (yes). Also, the VRap can't be compared to the old Raptors. People still think they're loud and hot running. They aren't. In fact, mine is idling at 19C right now. It's close to the room temp. And is silent. Remember, it's a "2.5 inch" drive, like a notebook HDD under an aluminum cooling enclousure. Not 3.5 inch like a regular HDD. Furthermore, SSD's run only some degrees cooler. Most the time you don't have a temp sensor on the SSD to see it.

Those things don't matter at all.

25. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    grab ssd and wont be regretting later on

imo grab intel ssd might not be the fastest ssd but have good reliability and they have utility that will configure your ssd automatically