1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD page size

Discussion in 'Storage' started by _JP_, Apr 10, 2013.

1. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Now, I'm sure this will come off sounding a bit noobish, eheh...(I never used an SSD in my life...yeah, sounds weird, right?)
    I've read the news about Crucial launching their new M500 line and went to read a review to see how that 960GB model behave.
    Then I noticed something, while I was reading about the chips used in these drives.
    These drives use 128Gbit Micron 20nm 2bpc MLC NAND, which have a page size of 16KB.
    Does that mean that, when formatting partitions, the allocation size (not sure if this is the name given in linux-based OSes) should be set to 16KB as well?
    Up until now, I know one can format with allocation sizes bigger than the drive's page size/bytes per sector (on HDDs anyway), but the default for NTFS is 4KB and that isn't configurable when installing Windows, for example...unless you use another method to format the drive prior to the OS installation.
    So would there be a problem setting an allocation size smaller then the drive's page size?
    (performance hindrance, data fragmentation, those kinds of things...)
  2. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    So this isn't a problem/issue, then...

Alright, good to know...
  3. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    _JP_ says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Regardless of the differences, I don't think it will make a real world difference weather the page size is 4k or 16k. The bigger SSD capacity however does make a difference. I would gladly sacrifice a little performance for a larger SSD if the situation warranted it. Also if 16k writes are good, so will 4k writes. I just don't see many circumstances where it would be faster, but I don't really see it getting slower either.

I'm just excited for bigger SSDs. Anything to drive prices down.
    _JP_ says thanks.