• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD + PS3 go..no go?

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
lol yea way off topic considering 360 will never have Gran Turismo and that 10mins vs 1hr install time is a huge difference

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Speaking of off topic I have a 360 just got it 2 days ago a 120gb elite with all the cool stuff. got it for a good deal. looked at it set it up turned my TV down because i forgot the volume was high made an avatar and shut off the consol and immedietly texted people asking if they wanted to trade a ps3 for it. lets get back on topic and stop trolling

/response

I own both the PS3 and 360 so I was making a comment based on what I have heard/know (not comparing the two consoles). I read up a bit a good while back on SSD use with the PS3 and most people found it pointless (considering the PS3 downgrades 7200rpm HDDs to 5400rpm aswell). But I have never tried one myself and havent played GT5 yet, so I dont know if the install/ingame load times are improved with an SSD.

I wasnt trolling or slagging anything off, so I think your out of order for saying I was to be honest! If an SSD works well with the PS3 now, happy days!!

PS: I think I made a valid point. If you own a modded PS3, not for piracy purposes, but full game installation purposes, I bet the loading times of GT5 would be vastly improved. Compared to only the part-installation that a standard system offers.

Last edited:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
it dosent downgrade anything thats just a bunch of bullshit

my PS3 uses the standard 5400rpm drive my buddy uses seagate momentus 7200rpm 500gig drive and the performance from his system which is a launch system is easily noticeable in many games especially the likes of Metal Gear Solid

SSD dosent get downgraded at all either theres a huge difference between downgrade and sata limitations the PS3 uses Sata 150 so yea an SSD is limited to an extent in terms of pure read write speed but dosent change the fact that the seek and access times are so much lower the performance is there

examples would be 7200rpm vs SSD oblivion load times are nearly 20% faster on the SSD and compared to 5400rpm its closer to 25% faster in load times i realize thats only 1-2 seconds over regular but considering how often you have to load in Oblivion it adds up quickly to time saved. This applies to other games as well examples Wipeout HD with an SSD loads over 40% faster then on an HDD

also its not that hard to compress data the only thing going for Bluray is the fact most of the data on those discs in uncompressed compared to the 360s Dual Layer DVD format where compression is used most bluray games are around 20gigs in size which compressed can easily be put down to under 9gigs otherwise how would said games be multi platform. The fact the PS3 dosent install the game fully to the HDD is a pain in the ass i wont disagree there But the 360 dosent always install the full game to the HDD either so it applies to both systems in that regard.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
it dosent downgrade anything thats just a bunch of bullshit

my PS3 uses the standard 5400rpm drive my buddy uses seagate momentus 7200rpm 500gig drive and the performance from his system which is a launch system is easily noticeable in many games especially the likes of Metal Gear Solid

SSD dosent get downgraded at all either theres a huge difference between downgrade and sata limitations the PS3 uses Sata 150 so yea an SSD is limited to an extent in terms of pure read write speed but dosent change the fact that the seek and access times are so much lower the performance is there

examples would be 7200rpm vs SSD oblivion load times are nearly 20% faster on the SSD and compared to 5400rpm its closer to 25% faster in load times i realize thats only 1-2 seconds over regular but considering how often you have to load in Oblivion it adds up quickly to time saved. This applies to other games as well examples Wipeout HD with an SSD loads over 40% faster then on an HDD

also its not that hard to compress data the only thing going for Bluray is the fact most of the data on those discs in uncompressed compared to the 360s Dual Layer DVD format where compression is used most bluray games are around 20gigs in size which compressed can easily be put down to under 9gigs otherwise how would said games be multi platform. The fact the PS3 dosent install the game fully to the HDD is a pain in the ass i wont disagree there But the 360 dosent always install the full game to the HDD either so it applies to both systems in that regard.

Im pretty sure that the 360 does install all the games data to the HDD. Once a game is installed, the only time you hear the DVDROM is when you initially put the game in to play (as it reads the security sectors etc to make sure you own the game). Also, Ive installed a game onto the HDD, started the game running, then popped the disc out (the console was obviously open at the time) and ran the same game in another console......surely I wouldnt have been able to do this if the console needed to read data from said disc?

Yeah, what you said about compression is right. All that nonsense about the 360 never being able to run MGS4 because of media limitations is bullshit!

I didnt know what you said about the PS3 HDD/SSD situation....I was only going by what I had heard some time ago. I have a 500GB Seagate 5200rpm in mine and it runs sweet, so Im happy.

Last edited:
System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro
Everything is snappyier, I am so glad I did this. It may be just the way Grand Tourismo 5 was designed, but it seems to hit the HDD very often when it comes to loading data. Navigating the interfaces of the game take about half the time they used to. I still have the Original HDD formated for PS3, might get bored enough to time the differences in load, response and accessing the game. But that would require me to install GT5 to the old regular drive. Which I am not so sure waiting 1 hour for that is worth it.

To me it all comes down to regret. The performance gain is insane for navigating the game as well as using any content stored on the drives. The limitation of the Blu Ray disc, and disc drives in general will always be there, I can't change that. Physical Format media is the crutch that's proping up the gamin industry right now, and it needs to be replaced by online distribution models such as Steam/Xbox Live.

I may not take the time to prove the difference, who knows I might get bored this weekend. But I don't in anyway regret this purchase, it's making the game THAT much more enjoyable not staring at loading screens going from menu to menu.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Everything is snappyier, I am so glad I did this. It may be just the way Grand Tourismo 5 was designed, but it seems to hit the HDD very often when it comes to loading data. Navigating the interfaces of the game take about half the time they used to. I still have the Original HDD formated for PS3, might get bored enough to time the differences in load, response and accessing the game. But that would require me to install GT5 to the old regular drive. Which I am not so sure waiting 1 hour for that is worth it.

To me it all comes down to regret. The performance gain is insane for navigating the game as well as using any content stored on the drives. The limitation of the Blu Ray disc, and disc drives in general will always be there, I can't change that. Physical Format media is the crutch that's proping up the gamin industry right now, and it needs to be replaced by online distribution models such as Steam/Xbox Live.

I may not take the time to prove the difference, who knows I might get bored this weekend. But I don't in anyway regret this purchase, it's making the game THAT much more enjoyable not staring at loading screens going from menu to menu.

Cool, glad its improved things for you. But like I said earlier, could you imagine the performance increase if the whole game installed to the SSD/HDD? :rockout: Obviously, this would make things VERY expensive lol :D

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
PS3 + SSD = waste of time & money. The 360 installs the entire game to the HDD, but the PS3 only installs portions of it. Now if your console was modded and your booting a full game the SSD, it may be a different story :D

With GT5 a large part of the game is installed and loaded from the HDD/SSD, and as you play the game more, even more data is installed and loaded from the HDD. The initial install was 6.5GB for me, and it has grown to about 12GB. It gives you the option to install the game to the hard drive when you first load it, and I pitty anyone that doesn't, because loading off the disc takes ages.

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Software Window's 10 Pro

More specifically..

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
exactly and you gotta remember that install of data IS compressed so most likely that is the compressed form of all the data on the bluray disc

System Name Water
Processor Q9550 Stock
Motherboard Asus P5Q Pro
Cooling Noctua big ass cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator PC8500 4 GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7950
Storage Velociraptor 300 GB, Samsung 500 GB, MyBook 300 GB
Display(s) 1: Eizo 23" LCD Foris FS2331-BK 2: Samsung 226BW
Case Cooler Master ATCS 840
Audio Device(s) Asus STX
Power Supply Corsair HX520

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
yea those were already posted way up above by me lol

ssds and 7200rpms drives DO make a difference im sorry to say that in say Oblvion its a 30% improvement in load times

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/...ison-HDD-vs-SSD-New-and-Improved/m-p/43584590

please note the above is a 7200rpm vs SSD not the original 5400rpm drive

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/...r-the-PS3/m-p/31534655?view=by_date_ascending

The above is 5400rpm vs 7200 rpm

In general thought there should be a 14-22% reduction in load times going from a 5400rpm to SSD in the PS3 for GT5

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Software Window's 10 Pro
check the original post

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
nice performance difference load times were cut in half in alot of places

i think as of right now you should do a review man compare like 5 games on the SSD vs the HDD see what happens as almost no one except the guy i linked above did any kind of real comparison