1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD question

Discussion in 'Storage' started by mab1376, Nov 12, 2010.

1. mab1376

mab1376

Thanks Received:
  2. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Since u already have an SATA 3 board, then it might well be better to wait....depending on how much the SATA 3 drives are going to cost of course (and how long it will be before they are available).

mab1376 says thanks.
  3. mab1376

mab1376

Thanks Received:
  4. Flak

Thanks Received:
    I don't know everything about SSD, though I do have them in just about every pc and laptop I own. But I believe all of them with anything newer then the like original jmicron control support TRIM (Windows 7 only) when not in RAID. Don't think any raid drivers pass trim yet.

In any case, all newer SSD (indilix, intel g2 and sandforce, am I missing a controller? Samsung?) do firmware garbage collection when idle. So loss of performance is nil. But sandforce = win, if you can hold out for sandforce I would at this point.

mab1376 says thanks.
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Intel chipset with a INTEL SSD support trim even in vista or raid.

mab1376 says thanks.
  6. Flak

Thanks Received:
    Ha, thanks for having me check. States that the OS must support TRIM (currently only Win7) and the SSD must support TRIM. Had no idea the rapid store drivers I was already using supported TRIM in raid. Or are we looking at two different things?

"...your operating system needs built-in TRIM support, and all drives in the array must be TRIM-compatible. Does not currently work for RAID 5 arrays."

Or are you talking about the intel garbage collection utility? Which does work in both Vista and Win7.

Opps, and now I see this... as an addendum to the wrong Rapid Store help file...

"Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 9.6 supports TRIM in AHCI mode and in RAID mode for drives that are not part of a RAID volume.

A defect was filed to correct the information in the Help file that states that TRIM is supported on RAID volumes."

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-031491.htm

So not so exciting, sad puppy here ;)
    firmware GC works well enough though, have never noticed any slowdowns with any of my SSDs in raid arrays.

mab1376 says thanks.
  7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Possibly but had 0 slow downs with mine raided in Vista they still hitting over 500MBs. I've been using mine over 6 month now. And how i see it some thing must be done right with there drivers and SSDs as mine are working like they were the day i got them.

What i did notice is using intels recommended 16KB strip was actually a little slower and less stable to keep a sustained read. Although Intel probably say use 16KB to save on wear and tear.

mab1376 says thanks.
  8. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    This is wrong. That drive has TRIM.

Intel southbridges will pass through the TRIM command for RAID 0, but there are currently no SATA 3 controllers that support this (unless something has changed in the past few weeks).

Read TPU's reviews. We have reviewed a Crucial RealSSD, and a Sandforce drive. The real-world tests favor the Crucial, while the synthetic benchmarks favor the Sandforce drive.

I personally run two Sandforce drives, but wouldn't mind trying out a RealSSD sometime soon.

mab1376 says thanks.
  9. Flak

Thanks Received:
    According to what I found (linked in my post above), all that information that came out around March 22nd saying intel rapid storage drivers now support TRIM in raid 0 and raid 1 were wrong. Intel made an addendum to the help file (where most of the news articles sprang from) on March 25th or so stating the help file was wrong. It won't pass trim to raid arrays, it will pass trim to non member raid drives.

So again...

"Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 9.6 supports TRIM in AHCI mode and in RAID mode for drives that are not part of a RAID volume.

A defect was filed to correct the information in the Help file that states that TRIM is supported on RAID volumes."

In either case, firmware based garbage collection works well enough. I've had some of my raid arrays for over a year now with no difference in performance from the day I bought them.

mab1376 and DanishDevil say thanks.
  10. mab1376

mab1376

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the info people! :toast: