1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD RAID and Trim support

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Jetster, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I discovered in another thread that when running SSDs in a RAID you loose trim support. Intel RST 11.2 supports TRIM on RAID 0 only on Intel Desktop Boards with the 7 Series chipsets.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21407
    Well I have a P67 so I was looking for other options.

Does anyone know of a 3rd party SATA controller that supports Trim for SSDs or you have any other ideas?

2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Im gonna bump this with another question. So how much of a hit will it take without trim?

3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2738/10

Read this first so you actually know what TRIM is.

No matter what it does not work unless you have that driver with a z77 board.

Basically without TRIM you dont have garbage clean up commands and your SSDs will get slower over time faster then an SSD that has TRIM enabled and working.

Jetster says thanks.
  4. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I understand that I was just looking for a time frame. So SSD use to not even have trim right? Im just contemplating just ruining then in ACHI and put steam on my second 120

5. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Not exactly correct... Trim and garbage cleanup are two different; but, sort of alike things.
    They, both, do try to correct the drawbacks of nand storage.
    It is possible to have the so-called garbage cleanup and not have trim and vice-versa.

Trim commands are part of the ATA standard and most drives adhere to the standard and the drives firmware contain them.
    However, GC (garbage cleanup) is a set of cleanup algorithms that a SSD controller manufacturer decides works for the drive and adds them to the firmware and they work separate from the TRIM commands.

On raid, for trim to work, you will need an OS, a SSD, and a RAID chipset with the correct option rom.
    All must pass the trim commands for it to work.
    However, you will still have any Garbage collection/cleanup that the drive has built in, as GC does not need commands from an outside source to function.

Here is a decent read on the subject --> Garbage Collection and TRIM in SSDs Explained – An SSD Primer Monday, April 16, 2012

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
    Jetster says thanks.