1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD Raid On An Older AMD System

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Wastedslayer, May 15, 2012.

1. Wastedslayer

Wastedslayer

Thanks Received:
    I recently ordered a couple (2) OCZ Vertex 4's and I want to RAID them on my system. Now I know that with RAID you lose Trim support, but I'm wondering since I'm using an older AMD system (Main board is a 790FX-GD70) if I'm going to trash the SSD's by going RAID on a system that wasn't exactly optimized for SSD's.

Thanks!
  2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    no because protocols are the same as a Flash drive or HDD, they can be partitioned like a HDD even under RAID, aslong as you have the disk n instructions to setup the raid you should just be fine. My only q is why do you need raid; I thought SSDs are way faster than HDDs in raid?
  3. baggpipes

baggpipes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im not sure that RAID has changed all that much ever.... SATA II should be enough to RAID...
  4. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    Trim is almost overrated at this point. The controllers have pretty good garbage collection. Garbage collection is effectively like running trim in the background but really slowly (hours instead of minutes).

But as most people don't stress their drives like they're in a server, garbage collection can actually stay one step ahead of your use and ensure consistent performance.

And the great thing about garbage collection is that it happens at the controller level with no input needed from the OS. So even in a RAID setup garbage collection will be working to keep your drive(s) fresh.

The only thing hurting your performance with your proposed setup is the speed limit of SATA II. The drives you're getting will saturate a SATA II connection so you won't hit the maximum theoretical that those drives are capable of.

But just to be 100% clear, you will see a speed increase with RAID even with SATA II as the controller has more bandwidth available than that of just a single port.
    Wastedslayer says thanks.
  5. Wastedslayer

Wastedslayer

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the great replies guys. I decided to go with a RAID setup because thats what I have always run with normal HDD's and just like the way it handles things.

I assumed SATAII would be enough for Raid, I just wasnt sure if there was anything at the Motherboard level I would be missing out on.

Theeldest thanks for the post it was everything I needed. These are basically placeholders in this system untill I get enough to finish my Ivy Bridge build, so then they will be on a SATA III system.
  6. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    That exactly what I did to get to my current build. Added my SSD to my old FX790 AMD system while I saved $$ for my SB.

:toast:
  7. Wastedslayer

Wastedslayer

Thanks Received:
    Did you notice a nice boost in speed? I figured these in a RAID and 16GB of Memory (2x8GB) will give this system some speed for now. Currently still only has 4GB, needless to say a few games give me an error or two.:cool:
  8. typo New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have a vertex4 and a msi 790fx gd70 but i cant the drive to show in BIOS. I am pretty sure the drive is good cause i was able to install windows 7 with the SSD installed on my wife's laptop.

Any ideas? I tried switching sata ports cables/power connections, pulling battery from motherboard. i even tried to set the bios form ide to ahci.