1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ssd samsung 830 oem ver. problem

Discussion in 'Storage' started by skare, Mar 28, 2013.

1. skare New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello!

I have problem with ssd samsung 830 (oem version) built in my laptop because I can't use full features of Samsung Magician Utility 4.0.
    I only want to use samsung magician utility, it has very nice interface,and really like it.I 'm having trouble to update firmware on my ssd. Present firmware on my notebook is CXM05H1Q, and I want to update it with official samsung firmware CXM03B1Q. Is it possible and how I manage to do that?I am aware that is not possible to update in windows by utility samsung because this utility only shows basic information of drive, it does not detect it samsung drive, it doesn't show info of whether is sata 1,2,3. I only manage to run the test of writing/reading speed,iops etc...
    Is there any chance I could use Samsung Magician utility with full options available?
    In attachment I send screenshot of SMU of my ssd.
    [​IMG]

Is there any way someone could suggest me somekind of solution to solve this problem. Is firmware update problem or?

Best regards,

Damir Andric

2. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  3. skare New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    User CP is on this web page above ^^^.

Contact Samsung, it sounds like a defective drive.

5. terrastrife New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is an OEM drive, the point of contact is the OEM.

6. skare New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, hp is oem. but why i need to contact hp? hp got no utility to maintain drive, they tell me to contact samsung,and samsung tell me to contact hp.sounds like table tennis.:(

7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Typical HP :shadedshu

8. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Does the Samsung 830 say OEM on the drive? What does the paper label look like? Same as retail?

If not, don't offer that information to Samsung. Just go with the manufacture date on the drive. Say it was a gift.

You could also put the drive in a Windows desktop system and try updating it from there.

It's hard to help you as you have not listed your hardware, as requested.

What SIZE drive, 128? http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7PC128N/AM

256:http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7PC256N/AM

Did you download the firmware zip file first?

It's the reason the post has had so few replies. Asking for help means others need better information as to your setup.

HP, what model, what bios, what OS, how old, warranty, etc...

If your HP Bios is not the most recent and you have neglected their updates, then maybe that is the reason for your issue.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  9. skare New Member

Thanks Received:
    I accept critics about few info I gave. my version of disk is samsung MZ7PC256HAFU-0001H.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I downloaded firmware from samsung site but could not use it because when I burned .iso image file, and boot windows again I couldnt read anything, because interface is unreadable.
    bios version is current, the most recent one:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...wLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ob-115328-1
    Its brand new hp 8570 w mobile workstation P/N:A2X01AV with windows 7 ultimate x64 sp1 on it.warranty is three year for computer, sorry cannot find apostrophe(on old machine tat button was shift+*,but on this I cant find it (these symbols I get when using this keyboard button +*¸) I hope pictures are at a glance.

10. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Your pictures don't display, at least for me. There is a TPU site limitation to the size of the pictures you can display. I think it's 2mp.

When you say you could not read anything due to interface unreadable, is it a language barrier issue?
    Flash program should run in a DOS environment or if using the Samsung Magician software, from Windows.

YUMI works for ISO flashing using a usb thumb drive 4GB minimum:
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

I think you should try putting the Samsung 830 drive in a desktop Windows system to flash the drive, then put it back in the laptop. It should not be this hard to accomplish but maybe HP locked the system somehow or there is another barrier that is causing the issue.

Is the hard drive AES encrypted and needs a password? Can the password be removed, drive flashed, then password reinstalled? Look in Bios for system encryption or if your using Bitlocker from Windows Ultimate.

You may have to un-encrypt the entire drive, flash, then re-encrypt the drive.

Looking at this: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...EnvOID=4061&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=4

This: http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02876562/c02876562.pdf

Secure Boot: http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03654081/c03654081.pdf

Encryption: http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03453264/c03453264.pdf

My Samsung 830 did not have any of these issues in a desktop environment running Windows 8 and using Magician 3.1, 3.2 or 4.0.

HP: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...502&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4061#113100

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  11. skare New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry for images! I tried to upload once again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When trying to boot with iso tool the letters aren t full, many pixells remain blank, and cant recognize text. It is not language barrier. I used cd rom for booting, I m afraid hp put something to the drive . I will try other solutions and will let you know.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  12. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried the Performance Optimization tab or OS Optimization tab? Just to see if those areas would force recognition of drive?

Have you tried reinstalling Magician on top of the old installation;(a repair)?

In the Bios, have you tried switching from AHCI to IDE, just to flash, then switch back to AHCI?

Found this:
    Some functions of the Samsung SSD Magician software may not work properly on PCs using the SSD in a RAID configuration. In particular, the Magician software may not be able to detect the Samsung SSD in such a scenario.

The Samsung SSD Magician application may not be able to detect the Samsung SSD in some PCs with AMD’s Microprocessor (Chipset) if the old version of the AMD AHCI driver is installed on Windows 7. To remedy this, install the latest version of the AMD AHCI driver or use the standard AHCI driver provided with Windows 7.

I've read that Norton anti virus may cause issues.

Found this post: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1717468

If an Intel system you may need to uninstall IRST, flash, then reinstall Latest IRST driver after flash: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...apid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)&lang=eng

Latest Intel AHCI driver: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20110&keyword=ahci&lang=eng

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  13. skare New Member

Thanks Received:
    re:

Yes I have, here are the results, optimization is taking too long.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes I have, no use of that.
    windows can't boot in ide mode, BSOD.
    Found this:
    My ssd isn't part of RAID cause I use only one disk at time.
    My processor is intel product i7 3520 M.
    I use kaspersky pure 3.0 as security client.

I found that irrelevant for my problem. The main problem is that hp put something on the drive, I need to remove it, and that's the problem. Can I do that by flashing firmware? I can't use magician tool for that. Alternative way to flash firmware isn't recommendable because I don't see what I 'm doing when boot cd with .iso tool of fimrware.

I will do that after I flash the firmware, there 's no sense to that before.
    Sorry for late reply, I was unavailable for 4-5 days.
    Thanks for reply, keep in touch, I shall reply if find something.
    best regards,
    damir :)

14. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    It does not mater that it can't boot to Windows, your asking how to flash firmware on the drive.

In the Bios you need to change primary boot option to Optical Disk and also change AHCI to IDE (or not, need to try both ways).

When your done, you can change first boot device back to Hard Drive.

When the computer boots, it runs a DOS program off the optical drive disk (bypasses/disregards Windows) to flash the new firmware. (Windows does not run at all.)

Once the Flash is completed, usually at the A:/ drive prompt (or some other indication that the Flash was successful), you shut down, reboot to bios and change back to AHCI and reboot again.

YOU DON'T NEED WINDOWS FOR THIS! AND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE ALL STEPS OF THE FLASH PROCESS.

Use YUMI (PenDriveLinux) and change from Optical Drive to USB Drive as First Boot option.

You seem hung up on using Magician from Windows environment.

There is more than one way/path to complete your objective.

Just because you don't need/use RAID does not mean that it is not setup that way in Bios. You need to look and confirm that this is not the hang up.

ALSO: Is this your personal laptop or a business laptop that was given to you for your use? I ask because maybe your employer has locked the laptop to keep its interests out of others hands. Is there a LoJack system in place? http://store.lojackforlaptops.com/s...=UWGrsQoBAlkAABuO0QMAAAA1&rests=1365355441509

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
    skare says thanks.
  15. skare New Member

Thanks Received:
    I managed to start DOS based update utility, but I got info (Isuppose because I couldn't see best)"ssd not supported" and turns me back to DOS with command A:\SAMSUNG\DSRD with cursor flashing. I can't figure out why. I changed option ide/ahci in BIOS, but nothing hasn't changed. this yumi I suppose is way to try to update firmware via usb bootable drive, I 'm not got used to linux OS/interface.thanks for trying to help me out.
    it is my pc, not the business one.

16. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    I am surprised for 2 reasons:
    (1) the machine is fairly new and as such I would expect current firmware on the drive
    (2) it still did not recognize drive.

I would ask HP for elevated support and also ask Samsung for help as well, play both cards and don't mention it is an OEM drive.

If you have not backed up the drive to an external source, then I would do that right away.

Make sure you also make the 3 DVD rescue disks so you will have copies of your Windows and all the drivers for the laptop.

As a long go around, after making the disks, you could reformat the SSD drive (quick format ONLY for SSD) in a secondary system and try flashing the drive empty. Then reinstall Windows from scratch using the 3 disk set.

If you try YUMI then:
    download program
    insert an unused 4GB or larger USB drive
    run YUMI
    it will make the USB drive letter "G", format box checked (fat32)
    scroll down list to select "unknown iso"
    in Browse for media: point to Samsung iso file
    let program run
    it will ask if you want to add additional iso files, say no and exit

then you select USB in Bios for 1st boot option
    boot from G drive: YUMI will load
    scroll to selected iso and run/select.

When complete it should indicate successful flash, reboot and change Bios from USB to HD disk.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  17. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  18. skare New Member

Thanks Received:
    I contacted samsung once more and will report about reply.
    Back up will go after that.

sounds not complicated.which are chances I will succeed flash firmware with yumi if I didn't manage with dos update utility? drive isn't encrypted via face recognition software or fingerprint reader.

19. skare New Member

Thanks Received:
    samsung faq

Pretty same problem that I hav, except drive capacity is 128gb.

I tried this yesterday, but all remain the same. "Magician can't detect samsung brand drive or something like that", "or no samsung brand found on system".
    always the same, contact samsung or contact hp. It seems the samsung magician has very unique code software, and they are hiding it.
    the link of this discussion is at:
    http://answers.us.samsung.com/answers/7463/product/MZ-7PC128N/samsung-mz-7pc128n-questions-answers/questions.htm?expandquestion=903772

20. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    I think the issue is more the way HP formats the drive with is own key codes for unit serial number recognition, Microsoft Key code(s) and the way the backup/rescue partition is interlinked.

I think if the drive was quick formatted, in another system, so it was "factory fresh" then the flash process would work.

Dell and HP in the past, used to have a small partition with the OS key codes on the drive. Once they were wiped or due to replacing the HD, this code area was lost. I think this area is now part of the backup partition, since they don't provide OS disks anymore.

If you wipe the SSD drive with Quick Format, you will need to delete (3) THREE partitions first, C & D(rescue partition)and System Reserved. When you run the 3 disk backup set, the backup partition will be recreated. ***(All 3 partitions will be recreated.)***

If you only format the C:\ drive, you will not have cleared the problem to allow for flashing the SSD.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  21. skare New Member

Thanks Received:
    Something is not clear to me. Yes, I have three partitions C,D, & System reserved (100MB). I think there was no recovery (rescue) partition in my drive, I think that drive I got with PC is rebuilt afterwards. It has been removed from other device. So, I need to delete all 3 partitions and make Quick format, and then I will be able to flash firmware with samsung one. I simply don't understand where 's that key code that bothers?How I will wipe that out? If I delete all 3 partitions, while installing new copy of win 7 I will create new partitions and default system reserved one (100 MB). So what shall I get If I do that once again?
    Thx for reply!
    Damir

22. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    The D partition is normally the recovery partition.

HP and others make it so that from a bios F11, or other F key at bios startup, it allows you to run the recovery program.

Recovery can also be activated from inside Windows BUT if someone deletes the link from the Windows side then Recovery from Windows is lost.

Some people make the Recovery Disk Set and delete the D partition to regain space. Not advisable for the average user.

For your needs, I would run Windows Backup and maybe a third party backup... redundancy to protect yourself.

Make the HP recovery disk set. Usually 3 DVD disks.

To Format, you would put the drive in a secondary system, delete all partitions, Quick Format Only...so the drive looks like one large partition...then flash the drive. Put it back in the laptop.

If successful, then you would run the 3 disk set for a clean install. This will create all three partitions again...reserved, C primary and D recovery. Or at least that should be how it works.

By wiping all three area's the key codes should be deleted. Sometimes the installation of another OS is needed on the drive to wipe old codes away but that's a longer explanation.

The hopeful outcome, for the laborious process, is that you are able to update the Firmware on the Samsung 830.

Questions:
    This is new information, late in the game. I thought you were the original first owner of the PC.

What is on the D partition?

Why do you need "new" copy of Windows 7? Your backup and 3 disk set should suffice.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  23. skare New Member

Thanks Received:
    nothing,there 's no data.i have got it like this.I didn't buy in the store,but frome private person,and he asked if i want ssd or he will put mechanical drive classic hdd.i told him i will buy with ssd,all drivers and installatio files were on it.it has been taken from the other hp machine.i 'm not sure about that.

24. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    So it sounds like a pirated copy of Windows and you don't have the rescue information from D to make disks from...is that about right?

I hope it's not stolen.

Buy your own legitimate copy of Windows 7 and do a fresh install after you wipe the disk clean. In this instance, only the system reserved and C will be created. No D.

Or go back to whom ever you bought it from and ask for the disks or to make good on the problem.

This is not a HP problem it's a shady deal problem.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  25. skare New Member

Thanks Received:
    no it 's not pirated copy. I bought it from hp administrator. I don't know how he got it. It' s not stolen, at least guy doesn't look like burgler.Maybe he reinstalled that drive, I 'm not sure about it.He formatted D partition as data partition, and C as system one. pc owns legitimate copy of windows, as I enter hp support assistant, they had info everything about my pc.
    When I install for example fresh copy hp support assistant will know that is legitimate copy.