1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SSD Size +Windows 7

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Zaspera, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I run 60GB drives on builds with a few testing apps and such and I am just over half full. To run a lot of games and such, use a standard HDD to store and run apps from and use the SSD for the OS and a few apps you use all the time.

Something else to consider is that most SSDs will slow their roll with the drive at or over half full;)
    Zaspera says thanks.
  3. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    That sounds perfect. I'm using a 1TB 7200rpm 32mb cache Caviar Blue for my other files. When you say they slow down when they are at or over half full, how much slower are we talking?
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont have actual percentages or numbers. I do know a few sites like tweaktown.com show drive testing with set amounts of data and set percentages of fill. I'm not gonna say a Gen3 SSD is going to crawl to SATA gen1 speeds, but if you test with just the OS on it, it should be faster than when you have 32GB of data or more on it.
  5. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    well depends on how much "crap" u have laying around in ur Windows, bcs i started out with 80gigs which was kinda oki-oki but if u got many programs and want some games go with a 120gigs or more bcs even games starts and load faster on a ssd.
  6. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    As of right now, I only need Windows on the SSD. I'm willing to wait a few more seconds for the one game I play to load/start.
  7. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    oki, but if u want big applications like PhotoShop or others that takes space u will be sad with a 60gb that's what i went with an 80gb but i figured out that could also fill that up more or else so i bought myself as an early B-day gift last month a 128gb SSD :rockout:
  8. wickerman

wickerman

Thanks Received:
    My HTPC uses a 40gb Corsair F40, one of the earlier Sandforce SF1200 basd SSDs. All I have on there is Windows 7, XBMC, a few management applications (Splashtop/Mobile Air Mouse), and a few really small programs like HW monitor, GPU-z, CPU-z, my IR driver, etc. But of the 37.1gb formatted space, I only have 9gb free right now. So you should get by just fine with a 64gb.

But the 60gb drive you linked is actually designed to be used as a cache drive, paired with a mechanical drive into a single volume, not to be run as a stand alone SSD. I'm sure you could use it as a standalone SSD, but the firmware is a bit different from what I understand so you may want to look into that, perhaps shoot an email off to OCZ. As a standalone drive I'd probably suggest the OCZ Agility 3 which Micro Center has right now for $55 ($45 after rebate). I've had good luck with the Agility 3, and even with the cheaper Solid 3, which I have been using for about a year now and only just upgraded to a 240gb Kingston HyperX 3k.

If you can fit 120gb into your budget I would suggest it, honestly once you see the improvement it makes to your daily usage you really will want to keep as much as you can on the SSD.
    Zaspera says thanks.
  9. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    My advice, get the big ssd, the big ssd the big speed it have, at me win7+office+photoshop(all suite, Master Collection) = 30gb, so the space will not be the problem...
  10. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    According to specs on newegg/microcenter, the difference in speed of a 64GB and 120GB SSD is like ~5-10MBps. I'm not worried about losing that speed.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  11. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    IF you follow the many guides to setting up a SSD with windows 7 including turning off system restore ect. it will only take up 20 Gb or less. I have W 7 U torrent and XBMC on a 64 Gb SSD and have 45Gb free