1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Stability Issues - ASUS P5Q SE2

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Cratzky, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Cratzky New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello!

Im running a computer with this Asus P5Q SE2 motherboard and 4gb of Corsair TWIN2X PC6400 DDR2 2GB KIT CL5 memory.

In other words, i got 4 memory sticks.

I cannot run memtest without errors with any more ram then 1 stick.
    Ive tried swapping all 4 memory sticks around to check if some memory is failing but with no success.
    When i use 1 memory stick (does not matter which one) i get no errors in memtest. but with anything else then 1 stick, i get errors.

Worth mention aswell: when i try installing windows7, the install is extremely slow, it can take up to 10min before first screen pops up after loaded the cd.

Also when i get a BSOD , the memory dump takes ages. I mean really.. it takes approx 10min for the dump to count from 0% to 100% before it restarts...

Any ideas?

Here is my computer specs:

Asus p5q SE2 bios rev 0702 (which is very odd , it seems that this bios does not exist on asus homepage)
    Intel quadcore q9400 2.66ghz
    Corsair TWIN2X PC6400 DDR2 2GB KIT CL5 X2 (4GB)
    Creative X-Fi xtreme gamer
    Windows 7 x64
    Corsair VX550W PSU
    XFX Geforce GTS 250 1gb

EDIT: I get same issue in windows 7 x32 aswell so it has nothing to do with that i think...

I had stability issues with alot of random bluescreens when the memory voltage was set to auto which according to CPU-Z said to be 1.8v, so i changed it in bios to Manual and set it to 1.9v, but CPU-Z still reads 1.8v.. But the issue seems to have almost disappear... But sometimes bluescreens can occur at random situations so problem not solved..

2. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
  3. Cratzky New Member

Thanks Received:
    Update

Alright, i was thinking i should share this information.

I managed to get it stable , running with 4 memory sticks etc...

Here is what i did:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Goodie pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just couldnt get it stable at default settings, so i changed _Everything_

This is very odd, but its very stable now, i havent had a bluescreen in a week.

Also i installed new cooling with this setup since im running the cpu at 2.93ghz now (2,67ghz stock) and the memory at 877mhz instead of 800mhz (stock)

New cooling: 2x zalman zm-f3 120mm chassie fans, 2x coolermaster 120mm chassie fans, xigmatek achilles 120mm cpu-cooler

I plan to take the cpu to 3ghz, which im goin to soonish..

Its odd that the computer works better stabilitywise then with default settings..
    But a little extra performance isnt bad :rockout:

Hope this helps for other people with p5q series mobos with stability issues like random lockups, random bluescreens etc..

Questions? just ask :)

Regards
    Cratzky

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good you got it working. If you didn't update your bios to the newest revision, you should. :)

5. Cratzky New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know, i struggled with the computer for weeks and was running out of ideas so i started to read OC threads and tried that and it magically got stable...

Im running a bios , that isnt on the asus homepage. This is also very odd since it came from the retailer with this bios..

Here is a picture

[​IMG]

Regards
    Cratzky