1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Stability

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by MZ3692, Apr 29, 2006.

1. MZ3692 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an AMD Athlon X2 4200+ overclocked to 2.7GHz. It seems to work stable but what can I do to make sure? Also, is there another option besides Prime95?
  2. gygabite

gygabite New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. dvs amd New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. bigboi86

bigboi86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    SuperPI, Prime95, gaming, etc..

SuperPI 32m test does a good job of testing stability. Prime95 and SuperPI are my favorites.
  5. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Folding at Home.

If the calculations come back incorrect it will show in the logfile. And they are SSE2 advanced instructions and not just basic math.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  6. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if u use it for a month or two doing the things u normally do and it never does anything wrong.. its stable.. or at least as stable as it needs to be..

the other way is to slow it down another 100mrhz or so below the speed u think its stable.. he he he

if u think its stable at 2.7 at 2.6 it probably is.. course losing that 100mhz is the real problem aint it.. not something an avid overclocker can easily do is it.. he he

trog
  7. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    run prime 95 on both cores!!!6 hours or more wihtout failure is stable

all others arent 100% stable :p
  8. MZ3692 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What do you do to run Prime95 on both cores?
  9. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    what kind of stabily are we talking.. server type stabilty where real 24/7 run for years solid without a glitch matters.. or desktop stability where the odd glitch once a month while playing quake 4 dosnt matter in the slightest kinda stabilty..

i think there is valid difference.. in fact i know there is valid difference.. real world stability is obtained by running a chip well below its possible speed.. in that sense performance tweaking and real stability dont exactly go hand in hand..

there is one fundermental unbreakable rule.. the faster u run the more likely u are to trip over your own feet..

there is no such thing as 100% stabilty.. just the rule i mentioned.. the only safe way is simply not to try and run too fast.. the faster u run the less stable u get..

stabilty does come down to a probabilty factor.. even a so called stable chip will trip over its own feet every so many clicks.. its just that one runng slower will do it less often than one running faster.. so all u can do is arrive at the level of stabilty u require.. which does differ quite considerably between a server chip and a desktop chip..

trog