1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Standard resolutions that you use w/ monitor.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by happita, Feb 9, 2008.

1. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I know a few. like 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768. And these are standard size monitors. But I've been seeing more widescreen resolutions like 1280x1024 and 1680x1050. When I get my rig here in 3 weeks, I'm going to get a 20' Samsung lcd 5ms that gives 1600x1200. I was also wondering if I played at 1280x1024 or even 1024x768, would the image be more dull because the lcd isn't at its native resolution of 1600x1200?

Edit: Also is it really worth going widescreen over standard screens? I'm going to be doing some hardcore gaming (counter-strike 1.6, fear, serious sam 2, cod4...)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  2. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    It does look a little more dull, its like taking a monitor that runs at 1280x1024 and bumping it down to 800x600 in game. My monitor is running at 1680x1050 and most games i run at 1280x1024 unless it can be played at wide screen resolutions. Which it looks good. It does look better than 1024x768.

3. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    There are a couple of ways you can do this:

Turn monitor scaling on in graphics driver: This will make lower resolution pictures fill your entire screen, and yes the picture does lose some sharpness but tbh after a couple minutes playing you wont notice any more.

Turn scaling off: this will show the picture at is true resolution with black borders around it to fill rest off screen. This gives a perfect picture but wastes some screen area.

And to answer your last question about widescreens....I will never go back to a standard format screen (I run 24" 1920x1200)

You might want to check out this site as many games do not implement widescreen aspect ratios properly and can stretch textures etc - this site lists fixes/mods so you can get the best possible form your game/monitor/resolution.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Master_Games_List_-_A

Graogrim says thanks.
  4. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I would always buy a monitor I intend to use it's max capable resolution with (which would also be the reccomend resolution). I don't care if it's a CRT or an LCD, it's going to look bad.

1280x1024 looks like a pretty good resolution that doesn't require a whole lot of power to use, something like an 8800gts 320mb with 2GB of DDR2 800 and even something as cheap as a "Dual-Core Pentium" 2GHz would do well, even in Crysis.

Also, widescreen is a technology much like SLI or XFIRE, it's nice... when it works. It is a nice feature to have in something that SUPPORTS it, but if you read the first paragraph here, running a STANDARD resolution on a WIDESCREEN monitor is going to look like CRAP. So I would be buying a good square monitor because it's 100% supported.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Co_Op

Co_Op New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it's a LCD, try to stick to it's native resolution. Lower resolution look washed out and blocky. I'm playing at 1920x1200 most of the time (I'd rather lower the in-game settings than the resolution).

For FPS pro gaming, I'd stick to CRTs@100hz or 2ms LCDs worst case. I got an LCD only after I quit pro gaming 3 years ago (official cs1.6 games we're played at accepted internet cafes, but we trained mostly at home). An LCD is better overall and much easier on the eyes, but I'd still go with a crt for pro gaming. When turning fast around corners 1 frame ahead can mean the difference between life and death, especially in cs1.6 when your dead with a single bullet... BOOM headshot :D. Why let the enemy have the extra advantage? I'd keep the CRT as a second monitor for cs1.6.

6. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Not all of us are pro gramers or even take gaming that seriously. Yeah a lot of are gamers, but I for one (I am also big on gaming) would not dig out this CRT to replace an LCD if I was going to play a serious match.

I wish I had an LCD... :p

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. Co_Op

Co_Op New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well he said HARDCORE gaming. For casual "I don't give a f**k" gaming at home I'd go with a LCD any day. But as the players get better and better the differences between top players get narrower and small things like lcd response being 1-2 frames behind and 20ms lag add up to 50-100ms and you get smoked really bad.

8. AddSub

AddSub

Thanks Received:
    1280x1024 on my primary CRT, for everything since it is the optimal resolution recommended by the manufacturer. Although the monitor itself can go up to 2048x1536 @ 85Hz just fine.

Decent Trinitron CRT beats pretty much any LCD I have ever encountered, and I have encountered many. Especially when it comes to gaming or color accuracy reproduction when dealing with photo/illustration work.