1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Star Wars The Old Republic Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by bokou, Mar 29, 2011.

1. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I'm not saying that isn't possible. But did they mention for what server type? For PvE it's a given, if they specifically said PvP, thats kinda nice.

2. Hotobu

Hotobu New Member

Thanks Received:
    After doing some research on the Razer Naga (the SWTOR mouse is just a re-skinned version of it) I'm suddenly a bit less hyped for the keyboard. Apparently this thing has 68 fully programmable hot keys.

12 on the left side number pad
    2 on the left side near the left click mouse button
    3 from left, right, middle button mouse wheel.
    = 17

However holding CTRL toggles to another layout, Shift to another, and CTRL + Shift to another, and any of those can be macros. With that kind of functionality I wonder how much the KB really brings to the table. I've got all of everything I need right on my thumb + a regular KB.

(I'll still probably get it though)

3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Finally that System Scan Thingamajig worked and now I'm all signed up! Maybe I should overclock the CPU and update it though. :p

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Hotobu

Hotobu New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hear those things aren't very reliable, but looking at your specs I don't see why you'd have a problem.

On another note I have to admit that I don't know shit about the game format. I just saw Bioware + Star Wars + TOR+ MMO and that = buy. The first two games were fantastic (second one played better, the story and dialogue of the first was superior), so that's pretty much all I know, and that's from over 5 years ago. The amount of info on this game is so overwhelming that I feel like I'd still be learning about it up until when the game drops.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  5. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Sadly you have to scan your computer before you can sign up for beta play. :(

And I think you've got it the wrong way with the Kotor games. The second one is so riddled with game ending bugs and cut content it's silly, but it has superior story and dialogue :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Hotobu

Hotobu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not at all. The first one was fucking hilarious. Funniest game I've ever played. The darkside responses were so fucking wacky, and the conversation with the old man with the Jedi he knew with "the force swirling around" him was fantastic.

7. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Part of me is excited to see an MMO with some real publisher\developer backing, but part of me thinks this is just going to be WoW In Space, or a remake of Tabula Rasa set in the Star Wars universe. I'm not sure I will get this until I know a lot of friends who play, and am certain it is worth the investment.

8. bokou

bokou New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry for being absent for a while, been moving and such IRL.

If you want to join up in the OP just mention it in your post or shoot me a PM and I'll add you to it. You saying you're excited to play doesn't mean I'll put you up there b/c there's hundreds of thousands of people excited to play it :)

9. Frick

Thanks Received:
    I think you're the only person I've met who feels that way. The general consensus is that the first one is more playable but the second one has more depth and better story telling.

's all good of course.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    Ok so when you scan your computer for the beta testing this is what comes up for my GPU....
    ATI display adapter (0x6899)
    Wtf is that? Can BioWare tell that I am using an ATI 5850 with that crazy title?

I am asking because BioWare actually confirmed that they don't bring people in the beta with god awful computers that they know can't run the game...

My computer can easily run the game but I don't want BioWare to think that I am using a crappy GPU with that weird title the scan gave me...

11. lemode

Thanks Received:
    so who all has pre ordered?

12. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    Pre ordered collectors first day it was announced =D

13. lemode

Thanks Received:
    i was up @ 12:15 am to pre order July 21st. I got myself a CE from Origin and a Digital Standard. I will have republic on 1 acct and empire on anohter...should i choose to sell them later.

14. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I haven't yet, I most likely will grab the CE when I get enough energy to go up to Gamestop, I think I have $100 sitting up there from a game I didn't pick up, just hoping they sold it :p

15. lemode

Thanks Received:
    lol it will still be in the system. you have that as credit till you actually decide to purchase. so you're golden!

16. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    Eh... Just hurry up since EA confirmed that all pre orders, especially the CE are all very limited right now. Evidently, SWTOR sets a new record for EA's pre order history. This game has more pre orders then Battlefield 3! FTW! :toast:

17. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Huh, didn't know it set records, but yeah I would expect an MMO to beat a FPS, especially since so many noobs play FPS on console now days :/

18. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    It beat combined preorders across PC and consoles for Battlefield 3, which is quite impressive. I do think that the delays have helped contribute to the demand though, as people have been waiting a loong time for this and so snapped up the preorders quickly (not saying that it doesn't deserve the preorders, only that the hype machine's been going on this game for 3-4 years, so it's had plenty of time to build up demand).

19. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    So I decided it would be good that I start up the whole 'update' thing like I did in the WoW Cataclysm thread before that game came out. :p Just to keep us all in the game and up to date :) Hope that's fine with everyone.

NEWS UPDATE: Consular & Comic-Con

There is power in wisdom, study, and diplomacy. The Jedi Consular wields that power with an even hand. Consulars study the mysteries of the Force. They use their knowledge to bring peace, but when words fail, their understanding of the Force makes them dangerous foes. Choose your Consular’s path – become the strong, silent hand of the Jedi Council as a Shadow, or immerse yourself in the mysteries of the Force as a Sage, healing and empowering your allies.

Learn more details about the Jedi Consular:

Meet Qyzen Fess, a mighty Trandoshan hunter who joins the Consular’s cause
    Find out more about the mystical Mirialan, wise Force-sensitives who often become Jedi Consulars
    Take a tour of the Jedi Starship, the Corellian Defender-Class Light Corvette; it’s perfect for diplomatic missions, but well-equipped for combat if negotiations go sour.
    Don’t miss the new Jedi Consular class video!

For those of you who weren’t able to join us in San Diego, we’ve put together a highlights video to share the San Diego Comic-Con experience with everyone. BioWare and LucasArts thank each and every one of you for your continuing support and excitement for Star Wars: The Old Republic!

20. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    Never played an MMO before, but the more I see about this the more interested I get.

Will probably give it a try when it comes out.

21. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I just want to say, this game is fun, I don't think I can say too much more. But I'm probably for sure getting it now.

22. Hotobu

Hotobu New Member

Thanks Received:
    "Probably for sure" now there's commitment.

Seriously though I really hope the collector's edition value skyrockets.

23. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I've played almost every MMO out there, and I know that early game doesn't mean great end game. And $140 is the most expensive CE I have ever contemplated, either way, thats my option, don't be offended by it. That option on getting it has been much upgraded, I was about 50/50 last week still, so being 90/10 says a lot. And I'm not some huge SW fanboy who feels I must be committed to the franchise, so don't expect me to leap down a hole and follow them to my death (seems thats what you expect of people in this thread?), I will buy it if it's good.

24. lemode

Thanks Received:
    i told you you'd be into it!

25. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, opinions have changed since I got some seat time, and it keeps getting better. Though what I just played has been a bit disappointing, I been checking Steam to see if you wereo n so we could BS some.