1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Starcraft 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by douglatins, Jul 20, 2010.

1. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Since search didnt result in any SC2 thread. I wanted to start this.

And where can i buy this game digital? Steam i guess not.

2. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    The Blizzard store will have or for sale. That or BattleNet, but it won't be for a while after it hits retail in stores.

douglatins says thanks.
  3. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
  4. adj408 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looking forward to this game!

5. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've mentioned this a few times on the sc2 beta thread, but the game is pretty fun. They changed it a bit but not much from the original. Some new units, some old ones removed. But overall its still starcraft. The online experience is quite good with the realID and that. Cant wait to see the campaign next week.

6. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't impressed with the beta at all. I thought:
    • the count on the unit types is too low;
    • the Protoss mothership arsenal plain sucks
      it's all support and no offense
    • the lack of stances for the units is ridiculous at a stage when RTS' have advanced so much (remember that when the original SC came out, it was sort of establishing the genre still, so no stances was expected);
    • the unit proportions are too World-of-Warcraft-like, ie, it looks like most units are larger than structures and ships hover 3 metres above ground;
    • more terrain-based features could have been added than simply rocks and foliage;
    • physics could be improved, although I expect it falls short coz it's a beta and the final will be better;
    • graphics for unit portraits should be vastly improved, in the beta they were pretty pixelated;
    • and last but not least (as a general rant), no LAN play! >:'(

I hope they weren't as conservative as they seem to have been.
    SC is my favourite game of all time, but in all honesty, if they were to make quite a few changes in SC2 in a way that we can map those changes from the old game, it will make the game that much better, whilst giving a feel of progression rather than revolution IMHO.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  7. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Maybe u should make a club instead bru:toast:

8. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    order placed .. cheaper than buying uk version in germany - don't want some lame german unit names

oh and if you plan on buying from amazon us, use this link so tpu gets a buck

Mussels and douglatins say thanks.
  9. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Mac and PC? Blizzard is turning into EA (Spore and The Sims 3 are both Mac/PC titles). Oh, not to mention the whole can't LAN stupidness (that's more up Ubisoft's alley though). :(

@inferKNOX: How long ago was the beta?

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Bollux, Can't find the collector's edition anywhere:cry: might just save some money and grab the normal or digital version:)

11. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    digital unlocks later than retail and might be more expensive than retail

Lionheart says thanks.
  12. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Bollux:( might as well just grab the normal retail version, plus i really couldn't be bothered waiting for the digital version, I wants to play it now:):toast:

13. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    The original SC also supported both Mac and PC.:p I think it's more of continuing the trend rather than being EA-ish.

The beta is from quite a while back now, don't remember exactly how long ago, but it was the 1st (if there were others that is). Why, were there multiple betas released? I never bothered checking again after getting the beta I got coz the delays annoyed me to the point of trying to ignore it until there's a confirmed date.:shadedshu

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  14. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    Basically every Blizard game has supported Mac, i dont see problem in that. Russians though got screwed pretty well, their jewel box contains only 4 month playtime (yes, including singleplayer), though they have the chance of "upgrading" it to EU retail version with unlimited playtime (for a buck of course). This will only increase the popularity of piracy xD

15. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Afaik, way back even Diablo 1, was released for both MAC and PC.

16. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    @ Easo thats done in other regions as well. Its to sell the game at a cheaper price so players can try it out. ANd then they can subscribe for a month or buy the full version.

@inferKnox I will agree that the mothership isnt fun anymore, but it was overpowered compared to the queen and thor super units. Warcraft 1,2,3 and Starcraft have always had units larger than buildings, its just the way they do it. Not sure what kind of physics you want for an RTS... Its not a sim racer or a building game. The portraits werent pixelated at all for me.

Edit:

I read that those of you with the beta installed, will want to uninstall it before installing SC2 next week. Otherwise there will be problems.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  17. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    1. Mothership: Blizzard are feeling the pressure of the S.Korean Sports Ministry (JK, LOL!) too much. I agree with balancing, but seriously... a mothership for just support? Is that what the "mother" is for? They should have found a middle ground, semi-support, semi-offense!:shadedshu
    2. Proportions: I know that Warcraft has misproportioned characters, but the proportions of the units in the original SC were better. It actually felt like the ships were flying, not hovering on the ground.
    3. Physics: Blizzard promised more in the way of physics, period.
    4. Portraits: Perhaps then indeed there are multiple betas and we were playing different ones.

18. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    Some more interesting and disappointing tidbits of info:
    - Blizzard is said to have spent 100million to make the game
    - The game is DX9 (I can't believe it's not DX11!! T_T)

I would have loved to also see some innovations, like being able to have significant influence on the environment, etc. Maybe there will be though?
    A great touch to have added IMHO is the units actually emerging from structures, rather than just appearing beside the building. :p

Oh well, we'll see what that 100mil did for the game I guess...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  19. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Honestly for DX9 it looks pretty damn nice. Also you have to look at the fact that only a small margin of people have dx11 cards. As for the pixelated portraits you had, dont know what to tell you. Was there a setting you left on low in video options?

As for the physics, they promised the havok engine. Which is there, if a ship explodes its parts land on the ground and tumble for a little. they didnt promise much besides that.

I suppose i see what u mean on the hovering thing with ships. I think the main effect of that is their speed compared to ground units, they arent all that much faster. But thats not something that bothers me really.

20. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    If the DX9 is nice, imagine what DX11 would have been.
    I don't know how it turned out, but I remember reading that DX11 would allow support for DX9, 10 & 11 in a single exe, rather than making the developers have to make multiple.
    I never followed up on that, but is it safe to assume it's true? If so, with their budget surely DX11 was the way to go.
    Maybe it was to maintain playability on Mac? Hardly a reason if so.

Basically... I expected/look forward to more after 12years and $100mil.:cry:

As for the portraits, its no doubt just a development thing, no significant worries there.

21. Splave New Member

Thanks Received:
    anyone else been playing sc1 in preperation lol?

22. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
  23. Divide Overflow

Divide Overflow

Thanks Received:
    Any particularly nasty DRM in the retail version that we should be concerned with?

24. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nothing is reported. Though I highly expect that you will need to login with your battle.net account to play(even for singleplayer/campaign), much like world of warcraft. I expect this because when you sign in on the beta, on the top left there is a multiplayer and single player tab.

Here's a shot of an older build of the menu, but its the same idea.

[​IMG]

25. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    wow back the fun bus up! they removed LAN from starcraft ? Isn't that an incredibly big feature to remove from it ?